Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 505 [506] 507 508 509 ... 711 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 407082 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7575 on: September 12, 2013, 06:50 PM »

AM.com

Andy sets up new management venture with Simon Fuller - 77
News - Wednesday, September 11 2013  
Andy, the current Wimbledon and Olympic Champion, has set up a new management company, 77, with his long-time mentor Simon Fuller.

The new company, which is based in London, will look after Andy and Jamie Murray’s interests on and off the court and the arrangement will start immediately.

Simon Fuller, who has managed Andy for the last five years, becomes Andy’s business partner and will continue to provide strategic direction for the new venture.

Matt Gentry, who previously looked after all Andy’s PR and media at XIX Entertainment, will oversee operations as Managing Director and will work with Mahesh Bhupathi, whose remit will include new business and sales, and Ugo Colombini, who will continue to be responsible for all tournament-related activity.

Previous long-term relationships with Neil Grainger, finance, and Grenville Evans, business affairs, remain in place.

Andy said: “The new company will allow me more freedom and the chance to become more involved in my business affairs. I’ve got a great team of people around me who I trust, both on and off the court, which in turn allows me to completely focus on my tennis. I look forward to working with the team on the next stage of my career. The choice of name, 77, is symbolic and means a lot to me – the wait for a Wimbledon Men’s Singles Champion and the final being played on the 7th of July.”

Simon Fuller, Andy’s business partner, said: “Andy has had a phenomenal 12 months, it has been so exciting to watch him come of age as a true sporting champion. The future has no boundaries. Having been Andy’s manager for the past 5 years and now being able to evolve this relationship into a business partner and Chairman of his new company 77, brings with it endless opportunity. This now allows us to work more directly and closer together than ever before.”

I think it's great for Andy , I'm sure he has a very good business head, going to be massive business opportunities,   and I also think its a great name  yes
[ Last edit by deb September 12, 2013, 06:53 PM ] IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7576 on: September 13, 2013, 02:48 AM »

Davis Cup: Team spirit a welcome distraction for Andy Murray

Andy Murray has put his US Open disappointment behind him and is relishing the chance of playing in his first Davis Cup tie for two years here this weekend. Murray is ready to feature on all three days of Britain's play-off against Croatia for a place in the elite 16-nation World Group next year.

"I've trained well this week," he said yesterday. "I've practised very well. I played good tennis in practice. I've hit the ball cleanly the whole week."

In the Wimbledon champion's most recent appearance he lost to Stanislas Wawrinka in the US Open quarter-finals. "I wasn't that happy with the way that particular match went," Murray admitted. "Obviously I would like to have done a lot better. But if we're going to be getting down on reaching the quarter-finals of Slams for the rest of my career, well, that's fine.

"It's quite easy just because Wimbledon was such a high for everyone [to think] that losing in the quarter-finals seems like a massive low, but when things are good and going really well, they're sometimes better than they seem, and when things are going badly, often they're not quite as bad as people think. I'm not playing that badly."

Murray said he had given himself less time to prepare for the US Open following Wimbledon. He also thought his efforts at the All England Club, particularly the remarkable 12-minute game at the end of the final against Novak Djokovic, had taken their toll.

"That was pretty stressful," Murray said. "There was a lot of pressure. I don't know if there have been many players who have ever played under that much pressure. It was a lot to take in."

Murray said he had always enjoyed the Davis Cup. "You feel pressure playing for a team because you want to win but you also know you have a group of guys that, whether you win or lose, they're going to be behind you and supporting you," he said.

The world No 3 will play today's opening rubber against Borna Coric, who will be making his Davis Cup debut at 16. Coric won the US Open junior title last Sunday – Murray won the same event nine years ago – and has been preferred to world No 205 Antonio Veic, who could yet replace him in the reverse singles.

Coric, who trains in London with his coach Ryan Jones, may have been chosen on the basis that Murray looks sure to win both his singles rubbers and that today is a chance to give him his first taste of Davis Cup competition.

However, Murray warned, without the hint of a smile on his face: "It's not going to be an enjoyable experience for him tomorrow."

Britain last played Croatia in 2007, when a victory at Wimbledon earned their last spell in the World Group, which lasted just a year. Croatia chose to stage this tie on clay, though their ploy may have backfired in the absence of Marin Cilic, who would have been a key performer on the surface.

This is the first time Croatia have staged a tie in this resort here on the Istrian coast, which hosts an ATP event in July. Umag is packed with tourists in summer but is very quiet now, with many hotels preparing to shut for the winter.

In today's second singles match, Ivan Dodig, the world No 35, plays Dan Evans, whose efforts in reaching the US Open third round earned him a spot ahead of James Ward, who has been replaced in the team by Jonny Marray.

Murray is scheduled to play with Colin Fleming in tomorrow's doubles, but Marray, who is Fleming's regular partner, gives Leon Smith, the British captain, another option.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/davis-cup-team-spirit-a-welcome-distraction-for-andy-murray-8813077.html

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7577 on: September 13, 2013, 08:08 AM »

A bit more from the Independent. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/players-need-clarity-in-marin-cilic-drugtest-case-says-andy-murray-8813072.html

... Murray, commenting on the eve of Britain's Davis Cup tie here, said that he knew very little about Cilic's situation. "I think it's about time everyone knew what was going on," Murray said. "Everyone knows what's happening and he has clearly failed a drugs test, I just don't know why that can't come out. It's not that he's injured. I don't get that.

"Once it's out in the open, then whether the hearing took two months or three or fourth months, so long as he isn't playing in that period [it doesn't matter]. I think it's too long for nobody to say he has failed a drugs test." ...
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7578 on: September 13, 2013, 12:43 PM »

However, Murray warned, without the hint of a smile on his face: "It's not going to be an enjoyable experience for him tomorrow."

I think perhaps Coric enjoyed the match more than Andy did!
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7579 on: September 16, 2013, 02:25 PM »

A great weekend - and great to see so many positive articles with Andy & all the team looking so happy http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/other-sports/davis-cup-victorious-andy-murray-wants-home-advantage-in-world-group-8818862.html

But did I hear/mishear that it is 27 years since we've actually won a match in the World Group?
If so, it's time for this particular record to be broken. No pressure. Fingers crossed for a good draw on Wednesday.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7580 on: September 16, 2013, 05:48 PM »

A great weekend - and great to see so many positive articles with Andy & all the team looking so happy http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/other-sports/davis-cup-victorious-andy-murray-wants-home-advantage-in-world-group-8818862.html

But did I hear/mishear that it is 27 years since we've actually won a match in the World Group?
If so, it's time for this particular record to be broken. No pressure. Fingers crossed for a good draw on Wednesday.

I think I read somewhere we last won a World Group match in 1986, so yes, 27 years ago. Hopefully we'll change that pretty soon. I hope the boys get a decent draw.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7581 on: September 16, 2013, 05:49 PM »

I heard/read that too matchpoint. Seems unlikely Tim/Greg never even won a match. I was wondering if by match whoever said it actually meant a tie?  Think

Edited to say: Thanks teejay - we must've posted at the same time!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7582 on: September 16, 2013, 05:59 PM »

I heard/read that too matchpoint. Seems unlikely Tim/Greg never even won a match. I was wondering if by match whoever said it actually meant a tie?  Think

Edited to say: Thanks teejay - we must've posted at the same time!

No probs Smile. Thinking about it, that must surely mean, as you say, Tim and Greg never won a match at World Group level. I honestly would never have thought that, but off the top of my head I can't remember them winning one.

I remember Tim and Greg playing DC. The BBC used to show the ties then. I wonder if they will for Andy and the team?
[ Last edit by teejay1 September 16, 2013, 06:03 PM ] IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7583 on: September 16, 2013, 08:02 PM »

Thanks teejay and scotjules.
So, it was before Andy was born! (I guess it will be clarified soon enough, whether it was a match or a tie)
From seeing how motivated he was, I think he will relish future DC team challenges, alongside his own personal goals [fitness & scheduling permitting of course). Surely even the BBC will be on the case!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7584 on: September 16, 2013, 08:38 PM »

The match in question was in a 4-1 defeat in 1986 to Australia, played at Wimbledon and it was won by Jeremy Bates in a dead rubber

http://www.daviscup.com/en/draws-results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=10000605
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7585 on: September 16, 2013, 09:13 PM »

^^ That's interesting & thanks for the link Gnome. Reading up on it about GB's history, I didn't realise that the last time GB won the title was in 1936  when Fred Perry & Bunny Austin were leading the team..
How soon before the media are onto it?! Just when we thought Andy had shaken off the spectre...
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7586 on: September 16, 2013, 10:32 PM »

^^ That's interesting & thanks for the link Gnome. Reading up on it about GB's history, I didn't realise that the last time GB won the title was in 1936  when Fred Perry & Bunny Austin were leading the team..
How soon before the media are onto it?! Just when we thought Andy had shaken off the spectre...
Next year hopefully.  Whistle
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7587 on: September 18, 2013, 12:02 AM »

Just read this on Piers Newbery's (BBC Sport journalist) twitter page.

"Just switched on Newsnight's Scottish independence debate, Andy Murray mentioned after 30secs. This will happen a lot in the next 12 months"

I wish they'd leave Andy out of it. He won't have a vote and if he has any sense he'll keep his opinions to himself. Chris Hoy probably wishes he had.
[ Last edit by IonaRed September 18, 2013, 12:06 AM ] IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7588 on: September 18, 2013, 12:50 AM »

Just read this on Piers Newbery's (BBC Sport journalist) twitter page.

"Just switched on Newsnight's Scottish independence debate, Andy Murray mentioned after 30secs. This will happen a lot in the next 12 months"

I wish they'd leave Andy out of it. He won't have a vote and if he has any sense he'll keep his opinions to himself. Chris Hoy probably wishes he had.

Usual journalistic licence.  A lot more than 30 secs and only Margaret Curran saying how proud she was to be British and proud of Andy winning Wimbledon.    Nothing to do with the  debate really.    Just the usual belly rumble from a politician.    Andy has more sense than to get involved.    It's a minefield.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7589 on: September 18, 2013, 08:15 AM »

Usual journalistic licence.  A lot more than 30 secs and only Margaret Curran saying how proud she was to be British and proud of Andy winning Wimbledon.    Nothing to do with the  debate really.    Just the usual belly rumble from a politician.    Andy has more sense than to get involved.    It's a minefield.

The Referendum aside, it seems the politicians are determined to bring Andy's name randomly into the state of things:   http://www.cityam.com/article/1379467745/clegg-speech-quotes-andy-murray
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 505 [506] 507 508 509 ... 711 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »