Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 513 [514] 515 516 517 ... 640 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Articles  (Read 353511 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7695 on: September 28, 2013, 04:59 PM »

I'm in favour of that. Smile

Only quote the relevant bit of a post or article if it's more than a couple of sentences, and only do that if it's necessary to make your point, or it doesn't flow on from the previous posts.  It makes it so much easier to follow the discussion.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7696 on: September 28, 2013, 08:03 PM »

Only quote the relevant bit of a post or article if it's more than a couple of sentences, and only do that if it's necessary to make your point, or it doesn't flow on from the previous posts.  It makes it so much easier to follow the discussion.
It's also a good idea to highlight the relevant part of a short post, or an excerpt from a longer one, in bold if, by isolating it, you lose the drift of what the poster is saying.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #7697 on: September 28, 2013, 08:04 PM »

Only quote the relevant bit of a post or article if it's more than a couple of sentences, and only do that if it's necessary to make your point, or it doesn't flow on from the previous posts.  It makes it so much easier to follow the discussion.

Sparkle changing the forum in the name of good.  yay
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7698 on: September 29, 2013, 01:03 AM »

I can honestly say Linda, i wanted to change that to ,Some People but couldn't be bothered......you are scaringly accurate in the way my mindset works.

Big question for some of us - why didn't you meet when Linda came over?
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #7699 on: September 29, 2013, 01:05 AM »

Big question for some of us - why didn't you meet when Linda came over?

Their relationship is purely internet.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7700 on: September 29, 2013, 01:10 AM »

Their relationship is purely internet.
You're right. and it's none of my business. Sorry!
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #7701 on: September 29, 2013, 01:12 AM »

You're right. and it's none of my business. Sorry!

No need to apologise Elena, in fact I rather back your question, why have they never met?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7702 on: September 29, 2013, 01:32 AM »

No need to apologise Elena, in fact I rather back your question, why have they never met?
Because it might see the end of their relationship on MW.  You can form a favourable view about what somebody in the virtual world might be like, but actually meeting them in the flesh might disillusion you.  I can think of three occasions where 'friendly' MWers have met, and things were never the same between them on here afterwards.  The closest I've come is being on telephone terms with a member, but we don't contact each other very often.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 29, 2013, 01:36 AM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #7703 on: September 29, 2013, 02:21 AM »

That's actually a good point you raised about relationships on the internet, Aileen.

Clydey was recently upset about a 'friend' who recently died. Yet, he really knew nothing about him.

Getting back to me and robbit.. for sure, I was hoping to meet him.. we all were..but I also respect his privacy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7704 on: September 29, 2013, 02:46 AM »

That's actually a good point yolu raised about relationships on the internet, Aileen.

Clydey was recently upset about a 'friend' who recently died. Yet, he really knew nothing about him.

Getting back to me and robbit.. for sure, I was hoping to meet him.. we all were..but I also respect his privacy.
I can understand that about Clydey.  Despite the way he often comes across, although he doesn't post much nowadays, he's really quite a sensitive, caring person, and I'd be upset too if certain members of MW died, because, even although I might not know anything about them, I regard them as virtual friends - but then that goes back to what I was saying about having a particular conception as to what they might be like in the flesh, based on how they come across in their posts.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 29, 2013, 02:50 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7705 on: September 29, 2013, 06:52 AM »

It makes it so much easier to follow the discussion.

eg  Edit and quote  thumb up
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7706 on: September 29, 2013, 09:12 AM »

Sparkle changing the forum in the name of good.  yay
Only agreeing with what others suggested first. Very Happy
IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #7707 on: September 29, 2013, 11:01 AM »

Interesting points about 'flesh' as against 'internet' relationships.

But I wonder if we should necessarily see internet relationships as less real than others. At times people can be more 'themselves'  on-line, than in person (when people can be guarded, or anxious.....)
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #7708 on: September 29, 2013, 11:07 AM »

But I wonder if we should necessarily see internet relationships as less real than others. At times people can be more 'themselves'  on-line, than in person (when people can be guarded, or anxious.....)

Yes indeed, and that's how I felt when I found a girl online called Liv. Felt myself one minute, then guarded the next. A two way road with no clear direction as to which way I personally wanted to go.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7709 on: September 29, 2013, 08:48 PM »

I agree with that up to a point.  I think a lot of people, especially if they're shy, find that they feel more confident and less inhibited on a forum like this because of the anonymity offered should they wish to conceal their real name and their personal details; but what I don't like is when people use the internet to deliberately seek out relationships and reveal their personal details, or go on Twitter and Facebook and expose themselves to anyone who cares to have a look by babbling on about themselves, what they're doing, who their friends are, etc.

I might add that I have made a few virtual friends on MW who are just as important to me as the ones in the real world.  In fact at times they're more important because sometimes it's easier to talk things over with a virtual friend which you would think twice about doing with a reality friend, unless you really knew them well and that they could be trusted.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 29, 2013, 08:53 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 513 [514] 515 516 517 ... 640 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »