Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 524 [525] 526 527 528 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 468788 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7860 on: October 09, 2013, 01:08 AM »

Just realised I've made a boo-boo. Delpo has won a slam as well! Mustn't forget that, he's bigger than me Smile.
Well it was four years ago TJ, so you're excused!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7861 on: October 09, 2013, 03:02 AM »

I really don't understand articles like that, journalists trying to use a yardstick to measure popularity, if you're not as famous or as much as a fan favourite globally as Nadal or Federer then there is something wrong with you.

It's a pointless comparison, and it belittles fans of other players, i mean how many tennis players during the last 30 years have reached mega stardom like Nadal & Federer have? not many is the answer but that does not mean that players such as Jim Courier for example are unable to make a mark on the game.

I can think of maybe 4-5 players who reached the dizzy heights of superstardom, players like Borg & Agassi certainly, but there are not many of them. If you look at players who were hugely succesful without having a legion of worshiping fans following their every move then the number goes up. Sampras wasn't internationally idolised, McEnroe, Edberg, Wilander, Lendl are all giants of the game, but they never had the fandom that Nadal or Federer enjoy.

And so it is with Andy, and so it is with every other current player on the tour, why single Andy out as a failure for not catching the hearts of every tennis fan in the world?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7862 on: October 09, 2013, 03:08 AM »

Good posting!
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7863 on: October 09, 2013, 03:21 AM »

Excellent post Gnome.

Nadal and Federer will no doubt be remembered as the 2 greatest players ever. It's not as if they're just the big names in tennis right now. They are global superstars.  Any comparison with them is very unfair.  You can be very successful boxer but not every boxer will be Muhammad Ali.

Anyway, no player has ever captured my heart or attention like Andy Murray.   
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7864 on: October 09, 2013, 03:26 AM »

^ Nor mine either.  And it isn't just because he happens to be Scottish as well as British.  There's something about Andy which has always been endearing, and that something has grown as he himself has grown because I believe it comes from deep within himself.  Djokovic is the only other player who comes remotely close, while Federer and Nadal do nothing for me whatsoever.
[ Last edit by Aileen October 09, 2013, 03:34 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7865 on: October 09, 2013, 04:37 AM »

Some light-hearted news - but a well-deserved punishment!

Man abused Andy Murray while watching giant TV [Edinburgh Evening News, 8 Oct]

A MAN was arrested after shouting an abusive comment at a TV screen showing an Andy Murray match during Wimbledon.

Guy Morrison, 48, yelled “w*****” in Festival Square, where a crowd had gathered to watch the tennis star’s quarter-final match against Fernando Verdasco in July.

Despite being warned by officers, Morrison – who has problems with alcohol – continued to shout and swear, and was arrested.

When police approached Morrison, of Craigour Place, he argued that Murray had used the same language on screen and had not been arrested.

He was yesterday put on a 12-month Community Payback Order at Edinburgh Sheriff Court after earlier admitting breach of the peace charges.

Sentencing him, Sheriff Frank Crowe told Morrison: “You have the chance to get yourself sorted out.”

Morrison replied: “I will do my best, sir.

IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7866 on: October 09, 2013, 05:03 PM »

Nole took three years to win his second slam Aus Open in 2008 then again in 2011. Nadal took a full year RG then RG. Fed won Wimbledon then had to wait until the Aus Open to win again. So only Andy is up there with the Fed. Andy however, got to the very next final after winning the US Open. Fed only managed the 4th round of his next Slam.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #7867 on: October 09, 2013, 09:02 PM »

You guys seen this?
http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/18/and-the-winner-of-the-big-four-popularity-contest-is-murray/?_r=0

Oh  wub wub wub
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7868 on: October 10, 2013, 03:58 AM »

^ Thanks BBH.  Loved it! 

"Murray ranks 1,043 spots higher than Federer in appeal, which measures a celebrity’s likability."  That'll go down like a lead balloon with the Fed worshippers. Very Happy
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7869 on: October 10, 2013, 09:01 AM »

It's fingers in ears time for them, and everyone else who presumes that because they don't like someone, no-one else should.  Weirdos! lol
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7870 on: October 10, 2013, 09:43 AM »

brilliant bbh - put that in your   pipe sour journalist who says Andy isn't missed and smoke it.  Little tongue man
Do hope pf picks up on this and provides the goat's interpretation of his lack of appeal relative to Andy  Whistle
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #7871 on: October 10, 2013, 01:54 PM »

Thanks BBH. Awesome article.

Pathetic comments.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7872 on: October 11, 2013, 02:21 AM »

^ There are some positive ones as well Sabine. Smile
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #7873 on: October 11, 2013, 03:04 PM »

^ There are some positive ones as well Sabine. Smile

Oh, I guess I missed them. doh

I just clicked on the link to read the comments again but it doesn't seem to load.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7874 on: October 12, 2013, 01:14 AM »

Oh, I guess I missed them. doh

I just clicked on the link to read the comments again but it doesn't seem to load.

Everything she touches turns to evil.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 524 [525] 526 527 528 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »