Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 541 [542] 543 544 545 ... 712 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 410488 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8115 on: November 01, 2013, 08:18 AM »

Lendl was interviewed on Radio 5 Live to promote his clash with Pat Cash for World Tennis Day, but he also said that he expected Andy to be in Melbourne.  Thanks to Russell and Twitter:

Russell Fuller ‏@russellcfuller 1h
Lendl says the phone calls he's had with Murray lead him to believe that he will be in Melbourne 'in tip-top shape and tip-top form.'
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8116 on: November 01, 2013, 08:31 AM »

Really looking forward to what pain free Murray can do. w00t

Beware. Sometimes doing sport with an injury or even some kind of disability makes one try harder so there is no guarantee that pain free will improve performance. Been there. It will be nice to see him able to enjoy his tennis more. Roll on 2014 but let us hope that the press & media do not load a lot of pressure on him again
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8117 on: November 01, 2013, 08:46 AM »

Beware. Sometimes doing sport with an injury or even some kind of disability makes one try harder so there is no guarantee that pain free will improve performance. Been there. It will be nice to see him able to enjoy his tennis more. Roll on 2014 but let us hope that the press & media do not load a lot of pressure on him again

Marathonarthur,I so agree with your comment.

Afraid the media are already pressurising him. this from Neil Harman in today's Times:
"The most compelling example for Murray to copy was performing at the Palais Omnisports last night in the shape of Rafael Nadal, the Spaniard, who is heading towards securing the world No 1 ranking less than a year after he wondered out loud if we would ever see the old Rafa again. Seven months out of the game to rest his knee, in which time he missed two grand slams, was worth the empty days and restless nights. He is in his prime. That has got to be Murray’s mantra."

I think it's ridiculous to compare the two - for a start Nadal didn't have surgery. Nobody really knows what was up with him, but he was happy sliding on his knees in celebration as soon as he was back on the court.
And I always thought Andy's back problems could have come about through compensating for his dodgy kneecap and his susceptible to injury ankles. Thus sliding on clay was a problem, not least one of confidence.
We'll have to see whether his back surgery will overcome both physical and mental issues involved here.  I've got everything crossed for him.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8118 on: November 01, 2013, 08:49 AM »

I think in winning Wimbledon Andy Murray has delivered what his countrymen have long demanded of him. Unlike so many Brits before him he hasn't fallen at the final hurdle. In restoring Britain's tennis pride on the Centre Court of Wimbledon, not once but twice, in many ways he has become untouchable. Whatever he does or doesn't do in the future I don't think will matter a damn to the majority of people. A Brits name graces the Wimbledon trophy again after so long. Whatever the press writes in the future he is a Wimbledon, Olympic and US Open champion. His destiny and place in British sporting history is assured.  That in the end is all that matters.

Anything from here on is a bonus. I know that the likes of Federer, Djokovjc and Nadal are way ahead of him and probably always will be, but they haven't had to do it with the pressure he has been under since he was about 12.  That scruffy, angst ridden teenager grew up and delivered the goods.  That's what will be remembered in the end. Roll on 20 years and he will be Britain's very own John McEnroe, being asked for his opinion on the current years Wimbledon hopefuls, and the clips they will show won't be of a Tim Henman trudging off the court with a wry smile and sheepish wave. They will be of him raising his arms in triumph, and bounding up to his players box.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8119 on: November 01, 2013, 08:54 AM »

I suppose we, inadvertently, put pressure on him too?

I just would like to get to see him play (in the flesh) as he is a special amongst UK sportsmen.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8120 on: November 01, 2013, 08:56 AM »

Matchpoint - I agree the last person Murray needs to be asked to emulate is Nadal. Regardless of my views about him that belong on another thread, unlike Nadal we can at least be certain Murray actually has had a back injury. Nadal's knee "injury" on the other hand...!!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8121 on: November 01, 2013, 09:26 AM »

I just hope Andy doesn't put too much pressure on himself as we know he is well capable of doing.  And he really doesn't need that kind of advice from Harman.

As an aside thought it interesting that in the interview clip he said it's Rafa he's been talking to in recent weeks from the tour.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #8122 on: November 01, 2013, 09:42 AM »

So the back issue wasn't a disc issue.Love that Andy can blithely tell a bunch of reporters that what they'd been reporting on was "nonsense" lmao

It’s not a disc issue:
“What was reported in the media was nonsense. There were a few things going on in my back. It wasn’t one thing in particular. It certainly wasn’t a disc problem.”

http://www.thetennisspace.com/five-things-about-andy-murray’s-back-injury-and-recovery/
[ Last edit by xxdanixx November 01, 2013, 10:39 AM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #8123 on: November 01, 2013, 11:25 AM »

So the back issue wasn't a disc issue.Love that Andy can blithely tell a bunch of reporters that what they'd been reporting on was "nonsense" lmao

It’s not a disc issue:
“What was reported in the media was nonsense. There were a few things going on in my back. It wasn’t one thing in particular. It certainly wasn’t a disc problem.”

http://www.thetennisspace.com/five-things-about-andy-murray’s-back-injury-and-recovery/

That's interesting. I still think Andy will never go into explicit detail about what the injury was. It doesn't do to give opponents too much to work with. Still, as long as he doesn't issue contradictory statements, and he never has, it's fine.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: News Articles « Reply #8124 on: November 01, 2013, 12:44 PM »

Rehab at Chelsea:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2482291/Andy-Murray-recovering-injury-rehab-Chelsea-thanks-Jose-Mourinho.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8125 on: November 01, 2013, 01:06 PM »

nice of the special one given Andy is an Arsenal supporter!
Interesting that Andy has categorically denied that it's a disc problem.  Wasn't it Boris who just this week categorically talked about it as a disc problem as if it were a fact?
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8126 on: November 01, 2013, 01:41 PM »

I was very pleased to see Andy looking so well and relaxed but I do wish he had'nt given Federer his spare place at the O2
Roll on January
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8127 on: November 01, 2013, 03:09 PM »

well actually it's Gasquet who has it bb.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #8128 on: November 01, 2013, 03:12 PM »

I was very pleased to see Andy looking so well and relaxed but I do wish he had'nt given Federer his spare place at the O2
Roll on January

Federer would have qualified with or without Andy there.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8129 on: November 01, 2013, 10:38 PM »

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/11/roger-federer-andy-murray/?sf18991166=1

Did Roger Federer just throw some shade at Andy Murray?

Or Rafael Nadal? Or people who get the winter gloomies?

After winning his opening match at the Paris Masters, Roger Federer was asked at a press conference about his 2013 struggles.

“I know why the year was difficult for me.  It’s not because I can’t make a forehand anymore or can’t move.  It’s because I had physical injuries, and I still played in spite of the injuries because I’m not going in a corner and wait for four months.”

If the tennis press corps were an audience at Maury, the taping of a 1980s sitcom or a comedy show at the Apollo, they’d have reacted with a collective “ohhhhhhhh!” Instead we just got a follow-up question about whether Federer now inflates the value of once-routine achievements.

But back to that quote — “I’m not going in a corner and wait for four months.” What did Federer mean? Was that a not-so-veiled shot at someone else? Federer choosing a specific number for maximum storytelling effect? Or was that just Roger being Roger? Let’s examine the possibilities.

1. He’s specifically talking about Andy Murray.

The Scotsman hasn’t played since losing to Stan Wawrinka in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open. That match was played in early September. Murray is expected back in early January. Hmm (counts on fingers), September, October, November, December. That’s four months! It’s no accident Federer dropped the “four months” line when there’s been so much talk of Murray missing the fall swing and the ATP World Tour Finals in London for back surgery.

Federer and Murray have sometimes had a snippy relationship. Both are gentlemen and appear friendly on the court, but Federer has occasionally taken subtle digs like this at Murray’s expense. They’re not Connors and McEnroe, but it seems like Federer doesn’t have the same respect for Murray that he does for Rafael Nadal.

2. He’s generally talking about all players who take time off with injuries, like Murray and Rafael Nadal.

The four months was an instant estimation, like when you say, “Federer hasn’t had a big win in, like, 18 months.” It’s not actually 18 months, it just feels that way. Even in this scenario, Federer is still taking a dig at players who don’t have the benefit of good health. Is he bitter because Nadal came into 2013 fresh, as Murray will do the same in 2014, while Federer is going to play until Nov. 9, then take less than two months off before the season begins down under? Perhaps!

3. It’s Federer’s patented form of self-referential humblebraggadocio that doesn’t really mean anything.

No, it was totally a dig at Murray.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 541 [542] 543 544 545 ... 712 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »