Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 562 [563] 564 565 566 ... 711 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 408643 times)
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: News Articles « Reply #8430 on: November 28, 2013, 09:56 PM »

http://www.thetennisspace.com/wilander-murray-will-be-the-most-improved-player-this-year/

An old one, found when I was looking for a pic frim Wilander in his younger days, nice and true prediction...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8431 on: November 29, 2013, 01:02 AM »

http://www.thetennisspace.com/wilander-murray-will-be-the-most-improved-player-this-year/

An old one, found when I was looking for a pic frim Wilander in his younger days, nice and true prediction...
Thanks flowerpower. Smile
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8432 on: November 29, 2013, 02:20 AM »

Andy Murray picks up two Spirit of Scotland Awards.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/celebrity/andy-murray-picks-up-two-spirit-of-scotland-awards-1-3213597

IT WAS one of the defining moments of the year and one of Scotland’s greatest sporting triumphs of all time.

Now Andy Murray’s memorable victory at Wimbledon, when he became the first British male to taste glory there for 77 years, has seen him named the “Top Scot” of 2013.

His famous defeat of Novak Djokovic, a year on from losing to Roger Federer in his first Wimbledon final, earned him the prestigious honour at the annual Glenfiddich Spirit of Scotland Awards.

He has followed in the footsteps of fellow Scottish Olympic heroes Sir Chris Hoy, Katherine Grainger and Shirley Robertson by claiming the “Top Scot” prize, which was accepted by his mother Judy at the gala ceremony in Edinburgh last night.

Murray sent a special message from his base in Miami to the ceremony at the Prestonfield hotel saying: “I’m really sorry I can’t be with you.

“I’m over training in Miami recovering from my back surgery. I’m very proud to have won the Top Scot and the best sportsman award.

“The Scottish public have supported me always, whether winning or losing or making inappropriate jokes about the English football team. They have always stuck behind me and I really appreciate that.”

Murray also won the sport category in the awards, the second time he has claimed the honour after winning in 2005, just months after making his Wimbledon debut.

Judy Murray said: “The Spirit of Scotland Awards are a fantastic event. I’ve been a couple of times in the past and Andy won the sports award once before, but this is the first time he’s won the Top Scot award.

“He was absolutely delighted when he heard about it. It’s always great to be recognised in your own country, so this is a big thing for him.

Ian Stewart, editor of The Scotsman and Scotland on Sunday, said: “Andy Murray has for a long time been a fantastic ambassador for Scotland and for Scottish sport. He was already a Grand Slam winner and the holder of Olympic gold.

“But even in the high-achieving world of Andy Murray, winning Wimbledon was special, and it is only right that is marked and celebrated. 2013 was a momentous year for Andy Murray, and this award is a fitting accolade.”
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8433 on: November 29, 2013, 03:00 AM »

Thanks Iona.  I feel so very happy for him to be recognised in this way. Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #8434 on: November 29, 2013, 10:56 AM »

It's lovely to read all these nice things being said about Andy, and so well deserved.

In the article about the Spirit of Scotland awards it's interesting that Andy mentioned that joke about the England football team. I'm sure the article quotes a tongue in cheek comment really, but I do think even bringing it up at all speaks to how self-confident Andy has become. I hope one day people will grow up enough to draw a line under the whole thing. I think a lot already have now and can see Andy for what he is.
IP Logged
PETRA

Observe time and opportunity.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8435 on: November 29, 2013, 12:20 PM »

Not sure where to put this.  Has anyone watched MasterChef the Professionals?  I think Adam H has a look of Andy about him. As there is a shortage of tennis at the moment I will continue to watch and see how he does.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #8436 on: November 29, 2013, 12:40 PM »

That one from 2012 was interesting from Wilander. The irony though, he's suggesting Andy will win a slam. When Andy did Wilander was one of the first to say he'd fluked it, because of the wind.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8437 on: November 29, 2013, 05:47 PM »

It's lovely to read all these nice things being said about Andy, and so well deserved.

In the article about the Spirit of Scotland awards it's interesting that Andy mentioned that joke about the England football team. I'm sure the article quotes a tongue in cheek comment really, but I do think even bringing it up at all speaks to how self-confident Andy has become. I hope one day people will grow up enough to draw a line under the whole thing. I think a lot already have now and can see Andy for what he is.
I had a laugh at that one, and I'm sure it was said tongue in cheek, although it's really sad that this off-the-cuff remark taken out of context should have hung around for so long, even though the reporter concerned, and Tim Henman, have since openly explained the situation.  Mind you, I've always felt that the reporter must have been very naive if he didn't know that this Scottish/English banter doesn't go down well with some people - on both sides of the border!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: News Articles « Reply #8438 on: November 29, 2013, 06:10 PM »

Andy Murray picks up two Spirit of Scotland Awards.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/celebrity/andy-murray-picks-up-two-spirit-of-scotland-awards-1-3213597

IT WAS one of the defining moments of the year and one of Scotland’s greatest sporting triumphs of all time.

Now Andy Murray’s memorable victory at Wimbledon, when he became the first British male to taste glory there for 77 years, has seen him named the “Top Scot” of 2013.

His famous defeat of Novak Djokovic, a year on from losing to Roger Federer in his first Wimbledon final, earned him the prestigious honour at the annual Glenfiddich Spirit of Scotland Awards.

He has followed in the footsteps of fellow Scottish Olympic heroes Sir Chris Hoy, Katherine Grainger and Shirley Robertson by claiming the “Top Scot” prize, which was accepted by his mother Judy at the gala ceremony in Edinburgh last night.

Murray sent a special message from his base in Miami to the ceremony at the Prestonfield hotel saying: “I’m really sorry I can’t be with you.

“I’m over training in Miami recovering from my back surgery. I’m very proud to have won the Top Scot and the best sportsman award.

“The Scottish public have supported me always, whether winning or losing or making inappropriate jokes about the English football team. They have always stuck behind me and I really appreciate that.”

Murray also won the sport category in the awards, the second time he has claimed the honour after winning in 2005, just months after making his Wimbledon debut.

Judy Murray said: “The Spirit of Scotland Awards are a fantastic event. I’ve been a couple of times in the past and Andy won the sports award once before, but this is the first time he’s won the Top Scot award.

“He was absolutely delighted when he heard about it. It’s always great to be recognised in your own country, so this is a big thing for him.

Ian Stewart, editor of The Scotsman and Scotland on Sunday, said: “Andy Murray has for a long time been a fantastic ambassador for Scotland and for Scottish sport. He was already a Grand Slam winner and the holder of Olympic gold.

“But even in the high-achieving world of Andy Murray, winning Wimbledon was special, and it is only right that is marked and celebrated. 2013 was a momentous year for Andy Murray, and this award is a fitting accolade.”
Bless him, very well deserved  clap clap
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8439 on: November 29, 2013, 06:27 PM »

Not sure where to put this.  Has anyone watched MasterChef the Professionals?  I think Adam H has a look of Andy about him. As there is a shortage of tennis at the moment I will continue to watch and see how he does.
Well I reckon a lookalike is better than nothing at the moment!
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8440 on: November 29, 2013, 06:48 PM »

The irony of "The Spirit of Scotland" awards is that Andy doesn't drink. He is completely teetotal.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8441 on: November 29, 2013, 07:07 PM »

loved the article Angie posted - thanks.  For once someone who gives Andy full credit for THAT final.  And I too had to smile at Andy's dig about the English football joke - I agree tj it suggests a growing self-confidence and ability to laugh at himself while having the nicest possible dig at the English!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #8442 on: November 30, 2013, 11:35 AM »

I had a laugh at that one, and I'm sure it was said tongue in cheek, although it's really sad that this off-the-cuff remark taken out of context should have hung around for so long, even though the reporter concerned, and Tim Henman, have since openly explained the situation.  Mind you, I've always felt that the reporter must have been very naive if he didn't know that this Scottish/English banter doesn't go down well with some people - on both sides of the border!

I could be wrong, but my understanding of what happened was that after the interview in question, a transcript was sent to the papers. The problem was when certain tabloids misconstrued the banter - I've always felt they did it deliberately though - and took it seriously.

I get the feeling there was some deliberate meddling involved. I think the press saw someone in Andy who was probably, at least at that point, less guarded than someone like Tim Henman was, who was quite happy to have a laugh, but also say what he thought now and then, and I think him being a Scot, with those old sporting rivalries in mind was a temptation the press couldn't resist. I think Andy's only mistake was in being a bit naive at that point about how the press worked.

I think it's just nice to see Andy joke about it in any sense, because it's cost him over the years. I like anyone who shows the press that they can't win.
IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #8443 on: November 30, 2013, 03:32 PM »

I like Andy's referencing of the 'anyone but England' issue - it helps make it clear, in a gentle way, how stupid the whole thing is.

People on here are inclined to blame the media. There was certainly mischief from them. But the bigger issue was the sad reaction from too many of the public to a dig at the English football team.

The plain fact which too many avoid is - teenage Scottish blokes tend not to be huge fans of the English football team! Who knew?!! It is just like Man city fans who don't especially want Man u to succeed. Andy's comment was typical of that which thousands of young Scottish blokes would make, especially in banter with English friends.

The media should not have blow the thing up, and the public should not (I suggest) judge a tennis player by what he thinks of the English football team (I have no idea if Laura Robson supports Scottish football - but how could it matter? I will back her as an able British player). And I don't think Murray fans generally should shy form the fact that he was not, and I expect is still not, a big 'three lions' fan - indeed he probably was not praying for their success in the world cup, so what?

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8444 on: November 30, 2013, 04:34 PM »

I like Andy's referencing of the 'anyone but England' issue - it helps make it clear, in a gentle way, how stupid the whole thing is.

People on here are inclined to blame the media. There was certainly mischief from them. But the bigger issue was the sad reaction from too many of the public to a dig at the English football team.

The issue was very much framed by the media to be an anti-English thing.  It wasn't just a simple case of not supporting England, but about hating them, and it was tied up with some issues about whether or not Brits of Pakistani heritage should be supporting England or Pakistan in the cricket, so the intellectual heavy-weights (ie racists) were primed to be angry.  Then there were idiots like David Mellor using it to score political points on Radio 4.  The story had been mis-reported in such a way that it became absolute fact for some.

It was reported so badly that even now people who think they are sticking up for Andy do him a disservice.  They say things like "to his credit, he apologised" or that "he seems to have grown up since then".   So few people realise that it was a response to "anti-Scottish" jokes. 

Clearly, people need to take a bit more responsibility for what they believe when the media reports things about people in the public eye, but when something is reported so widely, they assume it is accurate.  In fact, loads of people I've met insist they saw the interview and know Andy meant it seriously.  This is impossible, but that is how they've remembered it.  Most people know that The Sun isn't always reliable, but it was repeated in broadsheets and on the likes of Radio 4, and people tend to trust them.

I think Andy and his team under-estimated the damage, so didn't step in to deny it sooner.  They probably thought "they'll realise it's silly any minute, and move onto something important".

Even the other day, Rory McIlory was asked about the English cricket team, so he made a joke along the lines of "isn't this where I say I'm supporting anyone but England?", which a frightening number of people have taken literally.   Instead of realising that he was taking the mickey out of them, the thickos have added him to their TRAITOR list. Whistle 

Part of the problem now is that certain parts of the English media still try to catch the likes of Andy and Rory out in the hope of generating some faux outrage.  Andy getting asked about the English football team while he was at The Palace is a prime example of an irrelevant question.  Did they ask any of the other guests?  Any of the English ones? 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 562 [563] 564 565 566 ... 711 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »