Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 5 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 566 [567] 568 569 570 ... 719 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 424946 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8490 on: December 07, 2013, 02:07 AM »

Dani Vallverdu has done an interview with Tennistopic.com - it's in Spanish but worth putting through Google translate. I can't remember reading an interview with him before - good to read this.

http://www.tennistopic.com/centre-court/entrevistas/la-otra-cara-de-murray/
Thanks Katie.  The English translation isn't great but it's adequate enough to follow, particularly if you're an Andy fan!

This is the first time though that I've heard anything about Dani's career having been ended by injury.  I thought he stopped playing tennis because he wanted to study for a Uni degree, which it seems he did if his Wikipedia is to be believed - and it is somewhat sparse anyway.

I'm greatly encouraged by what Dani has said about Andy's back, i.e. that it's no longer a problem and that his playing in the AO is almost a certainty.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8491 on: December 07, 2013, 07:00 AM »

Really interesting interview. So positive
 thumb up
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #8492 on: December 07, 2013, 05:16 PM »

Dani Vallverdu has done an interview with Tennistopic.com - it's in Spanish but worth putting through Google translate. I can't remember reading an interview with him before - good to read this.

http://www.tennistopic.com/centre-court/entrevistas/la-otra-cara-de-murray/

Brilliant, very encouraging, thanks Katie!

"We almost four weeks training in Miami and has not appeared any back problem. And above all, is emotionally very well, training hard to successfully tackle next season... He did not mind the back at any shot: either the right or the reverse or even to draw. That was the most important because it has allowed him to not change the way you train in the back. Right now, is close to 100%"
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #8493 on: December 07, 2013, 05:41 PM »

Brilliant, very encouraging, thanks Katie!

"We almost four weeks training in Miami and has not appeared any back problem. And above all, is emotionally very well, training hard to successfully tackle next season... He did not mind the back at any shot: either the right or the reverse or even to draw. That was the most important because it has allowed him to not change the way you train in the back. Right now, is close to 100%"
   Good to read, but then I suppose he would say that, wouldn't he? And interesting that this should be slipped out low key below the radar in Spanish too.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8494 on: December 07, 2013, 09:59 PM »

I got denied a job at Bleachers Report because I wasn't ruthless enough and was complimentary to all opponents mentioned. Now work for a far better site called EastCoastTennis as WTA writer.

No, you weren't. That's not how the site works, so you've made that up.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8495 on: December 07, 2013, 10:06 PM »

Aww, don't spoil the fun, mate - spot the fantasy's my favourite Gangsta game!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #8496 on: December 07, 2013, 10:16 PM »

Um yes that is how the site works, its full of poison articles and their critique of the articles is even worse.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8497 on: December 07, 2013, 10:20 PM »

My favourite game is to find the biggest **** on the internet. I think you won that prize. Now jog on old man.
  That's another hit then. I'm losing count.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Articles « Reply #8498 on: December 07, 2013, 10:21 PM »

That's another hit then. I'm losing count.

That will be the memory loss. Perhaps you should retire.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8499 on: December 07, 2013, 10:25 PM »

Um yes that is how the site works, its full of poison articles and their critique of the articles is even worse.

No, it isn't how the site works. I have written for B/R for a year and a half.

You submit a single sample article, then they tell you whether your writing meets the minimum standard. They do not say things like "you need to be more ruthless".
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Articles « Reply #8500 on: December 07, 2013, 10:28 PM »

No, it isn't how the site works. I have written for B/R for a year and a half.

You submit a single sample article, then they tell you whether your writing meets the minimum standard. They do not say things like "you need to be more ruthless".

Why would you want to write for a site like that? It's designed for angry people to bash players to no end. It rarely has a fair article on it and what is worse is that its one of the most popular sporting news sites on the web.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #8501 on: December 08, 2013, 12:05 AM »

lmao

IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #8502 on: December 08, 2013, 12:05 AM »

Ah, the smell of jealousy and rejection reeks.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #8503 on: December 08, 2013, 12:06 AM »

Andy Murray's Wimbledon Win - Hope for British Tennis?
According to Telford tennis coach, Neil Devereux, Andy Murray’s victory would lift the overall profile of tennis in United Kingdom. He asserted that this one win will inspire future generations to come. On the same page as him, the Lawn Tennis Association hopes that it would actually turn around a fall in the number of adults playing the sport.

In April 2012, Sport England announced a £530,000 funding cut to tennis due to a near 25% drop in the number of adults playing the sport since 2008. Andy’s Olympic win immediately increased the participation by 4000 in the space of the same weekend. And the LTA hopes that this home victory would rake in even larger numbers.

To complement this surge in tennis participation, David Lloyd, billed as the UK’s largest tennis operator, had announced that it would extend its offer of giving anyone who wanted to try the sport, a free tennis day pass until the end of July. On the similar lines, Virgin Active, who signed up Laura Robson as one of its ambassadors earlier this year, had already made a similar declaration for a scheme. Thus encouraging people from all levels to try the sport.

It’s not just quantity but also quality that LTA hopes to improve post Wimbledon 2013. It is on the park courts up and down the country, on school playgrounds and on indoor mini tennis courts that the groundwork will be laid to inspire and engage future champions. From there, good coaching, talent ID and development frameworks can develop those with aptitude and harden their attitude.

Severe critics point out that Murray can’t be counted as one of the successes of LTA, since most of his early coaching took place in Spain and he was honed into a Grand Slam winner by Ivan Lendl. So they feel that Murray will obviously have a positive effect on young minds but Rafael Nadal is likely to be just as inspirational in that sense.

Needless to say, an obvious wave of change can be seen flowing through England. Gavin Sutcliffe, tennis development manager for Yorkshire at the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA), feels that this win is massive because it gives us a player at the very pinnacle of the game. “To have a Grand Slam champion, an Olympic champion and now a Wimbledon champion is fantastic and it makes it easier at the grass root level because it gives budding young players someone to look up to.” he adds.

Though we have a wide array of expert opinions on this matter, but there’s one thing on which everybody agrees unequivocally. And that is that this is a moment which the tennis associations in UK should seize and try to bring a nation wide change.

According to Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin Group, this can be done by making the private sector work with government to open up more access to courts and encourage participation. He points out that all British tennis stars will then have an advantage of guidance and a sound support structure to go with natural ability. All young people should have the same opportunities to realise their talents.

In response to the heightened expectations, LTA is   unquestionably ramping up their contact with their field teams, with their partners out in the tennis landscape, to make sure that they don’t lose this opportunity. But again experts warned something more than temporary offers were needed to sustain any impetus gained from Murray’s win.

Another suggestion is for clubs to be forced to create a partnership with schools in exchange for their allocation of Wimbledon tickets. However, the overall figure of 424,300 was still nowhere near the 450,000 target set by Sport England, who withheld £10.3 million of the LTA’s funding in December after slamming its participation plan.

There’s no doubt that, with Andy’s success, tennis is in the spotlight in UK more than ever, but it is up to them to work to take this golden opportunity and help unearth many more Murrays.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8504 on: December 08, 2013, 12:22 AM »

^ I really hope that everything possible is done to facilitate and encourage British tennis talent.  Totally love the game, and always much more enjoyable with a home talent to support.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 566 [567] 568 569 570 ... 719 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »