Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 586 [587] 588 589 590 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 465028 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #8790 on: January 09, 2014, 10:47 PM »

Lovely article.   Lovely photograph.   Lovely boys.    A shining advertisement for friendship.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8791 on: January 09, 2014, 10:52 PM »

Totally agree
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8792 on: January 09, 2014, 11:12 PM »

I remember seeing this original tweet. It didn't occur to me that it was automated.

If a tweet worked once, send it again - and other lessons from The New York Times' social media desk

http://www.niemanlab.org/2014/01/if-a-tweet-worked-once-send-it-again-and-other-lessons-from-the-new-york-times-social-media-desk/

But another of our top tweets of 2013 was something that went out on a weekend when @nytimes was largely automated. And it was not a good thing that it did:

The New York Times        ✔ @nytimes
    Follow

After 77 Years, Murray and England Rule http://nyti.ms/16Y3162
    6:35 PM - 7 Jul 2013
    After 77 Years, Murray Restores British Rule
    By Christopher Clarey @christophclarey

Andy Murray of Scotland beat Novak Djokovic of Serbia in straight sets to put an end to a 77-year drought for the British men at Wimbledon.
    The New York Times @nytimes

Andy Murray is Scottish, not English. Had a social media editor been minding the feed at the time this tweet was published, it is likely she or he would have jumped in to correct the error, which was resolved more quickly on the website. On a Twitter account that was automated at the time, the error snowballed around social media and the web for hours. When our hands are minding the feed, errors like that either don’t happen or have less of an impact.

In other cases, a small amount of editorial effort was the difference between one of the best tweets of the year and a headline from print that was less effective in the context of social media:
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8793 on: January 09, 2014, 11:50 PM »

I remember that howler but put it down to the fact that most Americans refer to Britain in general as 'England', which is really annoying.

There's too much automation around these days anyway, from email responses to these irritating voices on the phone asking you which options you want when you call large organisations - and it doesn't help when the particular matter you want to talk about isn't covered, although some do say 'For all other enquiries, press (whatever)'   
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8794 on: January 10, 2014, 08:21 AM »

Lovely article.   Lovely photograph.   Lovely boys.    A shining advertisement for friendship.
Yes his strong long term friendships speak volumes about Andy I always think.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #8795 on: January 10, 2014, 11:26 PM »

Very encouraging article in which andy admits the cold at doha stiffened his back up but has had no problems since arriving in the heat of Melbourne

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/australianopen/10562878/Australian-Open-2014-Andy-Murray-loses-to-Lleyton-Hewitt-but-proves-fitness-in-final-warm-up-match.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8796 on: January 11, 2014, 12:04 AM »

Very encouraging article in which andy admits the cold at doha stiffened his back up but has had no problems since arriving in the heat of Melbourne

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/australianopen/10562878/Australian-Open-2014-Andy-Murray-loses-to-Lleyton-Hewitt-but-proves-fitness-in-final-warm-up-match.html
Thanks Angie. Very encouraging indeed. Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8797 on: January 11, 2014, 08:27 AM »

and another - the good news is that it does sound as if the surgery has done the job.   One realises how miserable things must have got for Andy at times, when he had to spend most of his spare time working on the back.   http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/australian-open-andy-murray-ready-for-the-heat-after-back-surgery-pays-off-9052768.html

and just heard v positive interview clip on Radio 4 + Russell Fuller says he (RF) thinks it's been good for Andy mentally to have time out of the game.   He'll now be away from home for about 5 months and Andy said that might have been difficult, not having spent all that time at home.  Again all sounds very positive - though I'm still maintaining determinedly low expectations for AO itself.   I imagine the interview might go up on BBC website later.
[ Last edit by Ruthie January 11, 2014, 08:33 AM ] IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8798 on: January 11, 2014, 08:48 AM »

Both great articles-excellent mix of positivity and realism. Thanks for posting.
IP Logged
eeyorebob
Challenger Level

"I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

Re: News Articles « Reply #8799 on: January 11, 2014, 09:41 AM »

Just caught a televised interview with Andy on BBC Breakfast - he says more or less the same as the articles, he looks gooooooooooooooooood ;whistle:
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8800 on: January 11, 2014, 12:55 PM »

Just caught a televised interview with Andy on BBC Breakfast - he says more or less the same as the articles, he looks gooooooooooooooooood ;whistle:
hope they post it on the bbc tennis website though I guess it can be found via the iplayer?
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8801 on: January 11, 2014, 09:20 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/25689984

Andy Murray will head into the Australian Open not knowing whether his match fitness will allow him to go all the way in a Grand Slam tournament.

The Wimbledon champion faces Japan's Go Soeda in the first round on Tuesday.

Murray, 26, said he felt "good" after recovering from lower back surgery in September, but could not gauge his match fitness.

Murray's potential route to glory
Round one: Go Soeda (Jpn)

Round two: Qualifier

Round three: Feliciano Lopez (Spa, 26th seed)

Round four: John Isner (US, 13th seed)

Quarter-final: Roger Federer (Swi, 6th seed)

Semi-final: Rafael Nadal (Spa, 1st seed)

Final: Novak Djokovic (Ser, 2nd seed)

"How many matches do you need before you're feeling 100% match fit? I don't know," said the Scot

"But I played a few matches in Doha , singles and doubles, then obviously I practised a lot here. We'll see when the tournament starts."

Speaking to BBC Scotland, he added: "Right now I feel like I'm a long way from winning the tournament. I don't know how I'm going to feel after playing a five-set match in 40C heat.

"It will be the first time I've done that since the surgery but if I can get myself through a round or two then I'll maybe start to gain confidence and my body will get used to playing matches again."

Murray has played just three exhibitions and two ATP Tour matches since returning to action on 26 December .

As a result, the three-time Melbourne finalist has had to temper his expectations this time.

"I need to be pretty patient with myself and not expect too much," he said.

"But you never know. I've done a lot of training the last few months; it's just I haven't played many matches.

Analysis
  Russell Fuller
 BBC tennis correspondent "A man returning from back surgery can have few complaints about a draw which pairs him with a player outside the top 100 and then a qualifier, in the opening couple of rounds. Andy Murray has played only one truly competitive match since mid-September and will need to be match sharp to face the challenge of the second week."

"So if somehow I can work my way into the tournament, feel a little bit better every day, then I might start to raise those expectations.

Despite his lack of competitive court time, Murray remains ambitious to add to his two grand slam titles after his enforced break.

"I still obviously want to try and keep winning as much as possible," he said. "That's always been the goal.

"I think when you do spend time away from the tour, you feel a little bit fresher mentally without all of the travelling.

"Right now I'm going to be away five months from home. But when I wasn't able to do the travelling, you start to miss it."

Murray will begin against Soeda, the world number 112, with a qualifier waiting in round two, but the Briton is focused solely on Tuesday's opener.

"I haven't played a lot of matches, so I'm not going to look past anyone," he said.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8802 on: January 12, 2014, 01:04 AM »

I think his first match could be down to who tolerates the extreme heat the best - courts so hot they burn your feet and legs, and air so hot you can hardly breath.  Even his Miami training doesn't prepare Andy for this.  He was struggling to breath at Wimbledon because of the heat but at least grass doesn't burn your feet.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8803 on: January 12, 2014, 02:29 AM »

Andy will be writing a column for The Age during the Australian Open. Here's the first one.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/so-back-for-the-future-with-time-and-motion-20140111-30nrs.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8804 on: January 12, 2014, 03:00 AM »

Thanks Iona.  A very realistic and insightful appraisal by Andy as to his chances, and the news about his back is very good indeed.  I'll be looking forward to his other blogs.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 586 [587] 588 589 590 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »