Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 605 [606] 607 608 609 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 469962 times)
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #9075 on: February 15, 2014, 11:42 AM »

Sounds like someone's been talking out of turn big time. What a way to run a recruitment process.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9076 on: February 15, 2014, 11:57 AM »

Tim Henman was never a champion at Queen's. He got to the final but before Murray won the last Brit to win was in 1938.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: News Articles « Reply #9077 on: February 16, 2014, 09:00 AM »

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/tennis/murrays-form-slides-as-he-suffers-rare-defeat-by-cilic.23449063

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/26194542
http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12110/9166794/atp-world-tennis-marin-cilic-claimed-a-shock-victory-over-andy-murray-in-rotterdam
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #9078 on: February 17, 2014, 12:46 AM »

Can't read this one as the Herald wants to charge me £1 to do so!

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12110/9166794/atp-world-tennis-marin-cilic-claimed-a-shock-victory-over-andy-murray-in-rotterdam
As for this one, Skysports are merely repeating the rather negative Associated Press correspondent,  which is what most newspapers have done.

The BBC haven't commented much, but have printed what the players said, and Andy is at least taking the positives from this tournament.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9079 on: February 17, 2014, 08:36 AM »

Aileen: This is the Heralsscotland text:

Andy Murray bowed out of the ABN Amro World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam after a straight-sets defeat by Marin Cilic last night.

Andy Murray was beaten by Marin Cilic for only the second time in his career. Picture: Getty

It was only the second time the Croat has managed to find a way past the Scot.

The world No.6 was broken on his very first service game and never really looked comfortable thereafter as Cilic eased to a 6-3, 6-4 win in 71 minutes.

The Scot's disappointing night was summed up when leading 40-0 and on the brink of a crucial break-back in the second set, as he allowed Cilic back to deuce before the Croat held for a vital 4-2 lead.

Wimbledon champion Murray was seeded second in Rotterdam but never lived up to that billing in an off-colour performance. Behind from the start after he was broken immediately at the beginning of the first set, Murray could not find the form which helped Great Britain claim a historic win over the United States in the Davis Cup earlier this month.

There were signs that Murray, who only recently returned to action following a back injury, was off his game when he was taken to three sets by the Austrian qualifier Dominic Thiem in the previous round. And against superior opposition in the shape of Cilic, he was duly punished.

Having lost the first set, Murray threw in a double fault which summed up the way he was playing. He let his frustration at his poor form get the better of him, angrily berating himself on court.

There was worse to come when, having been broken to go 3-2 down, he forged a great chance to get back into the match. He took Cilic to 0-30 on the Croat's serve, then was gifted three break points when his opponent dumped what should have been an easy winner into the net. But Murray could not take advantage as Cilic stormed back to take the game, effectively ending Murray's resistance.

Cilic taskes on Igor Sijsling for a place in the final after the Dutchman ousted the German Philipp Kohl­schreiber 6-2, 2-6, 6-1.

Ernests Gulbis of Latvia defeated the top seed Juan Martin Del Potro 6-3 6-4. The Argentine was troubled by a wrist problem during his straight-sets victory over Paul-Henri Mathieu in Thursday's second round match, and Gulbis proved too strong for the defending champion.

Back-to-back aces sealed the first set for Gulbis, before Del Potro took a medical time out for his problematic left wrist. Gulbis earned an early break of serve in the second. The Latvian sealed victory and a place in the final four with a backhand volley.

Gulbis will now face Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic after the third seed came from a set down to defeat Jerzy Janowicz 6-7(9) 6-2 6-4. The Pole took an erratic first set on a tie-breaker but soon crumbled as his service game suffered; the world No.20 recorded 39 unforced errors, allowing Berdych the chance to capitalise.

IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9080 on: February 17, 2014, 08:46 AM »

http://www.crunchsports.com/category/tennis/is-the-andy-murray-ivan-lendl-partnership-about-to-end-201402150015/
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9081 on: February 17, 2014, 08:50 AM »

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/judy-murray-angry-at-claims-andy-is-business-hard-heart.23444515

However, Andy Murray's portrayal as Scrooge in an eviction controversy has proved to be a mystery for those involved in the £1.8 million deal to buy the Cromlix Hotel, near Dunblane.

Some families in The Square which sits near the hotel have complained that they are being forced out. But Judy Murray, the Wimbledon champion's mother, only agreed to buy these houses with vacant possession.

The sellers - Henry and Edward Eden - have also confirmed all tenants were on short-term leases. It is understood many of the residents, too, were planning to move before the sale with one indicating he was looking for a spring departure.

One tenant apparently moved into The Square knowing a move was necessary before the hotel opened.

The row has disappointed Ms Murray, captain of the Great Britain Federation Cup team and a tennis coach. She said: "I feel this has been manufactured into a story and Andy has been dragged into this when he has no knowledge of any of this. The facts are I agreed to buy the houses in The Square with vacant possession and with the short-term leases it was thought there would be no problem."

The 26-year-old Olympic gold medallist had no part in any discussions and the purchase of The Square is to accommodate staff working at the hotel.

Ms Murray said: "The simple fact is that there is no public transport to the hotel and we felt we had to provide for our staff who could be working late at functions or whatever. It was the obvious move to buy The Square and we have gone about it in a professional and caring manner. The tenants have always known the situation and I understand that accommodation for them will be found."

It is understood Stirling Council is hopeful of finding homes for the tenants who had been informed by the previous owners months ago that the hotel plans would include the sale of The Square with vacant possession.

The Murray family bought the hotel a year ago and intend to open it in April as a five-star, refurbished facility. It is part of a wider initiative by the family to invest in the area with a tennis academy and a six-hole golf course planned for the Park of Keir, near Dunblane.

"It is important for us to put something back in our backyard," said Ms Murray. "I accept that there may be cynical comments about making money but we could have bought a hotel anywhere. We are conscious that this will bring more than 40 jobs to the local community and will revitalise a local asset."

The Murrays, too, are keen to use local businesses to serve the hotel including landscaping, interior design and providing maintenance.

Murray, now back on tour after surgery following his Wimbledon win, has had no direct involvement with the negotiations with the previous owner and controversy over the tenants.

His mother said: "It is quite simple. The hotel was bought and then we entered negotiations to buy The Square. It makes a great story to portray Andy as some kind of wicked owner throwing people out on to the street. But there is one problem with that: it is not true."

After buying Cromlix House, a 15-room Victorian mansion, Andy Murray said: " I'm pleased to be able to give something back to the community I grew up in."

Jamie Murray, the US Open champion's brother, was married in the hotel in 2010.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #9082 on: February 17, 2014, 09:22 AM »

Does anyone else hate it when links seem to state something as fact when they are really asking a question?

As for what they suggest, I just can't see it. Anyone knows why Andy is having some difficult days. It's also obvious that Andy would be less desperate to impress Lendl now than in the beginning. They know each other now, Lendl knows what Andy is capable of, and Andy knows what Lendl expects.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9083 on: February 17, 2014, 09:40 AM »

Fully agree! I didn't see this coming either, Teejay it's just a question...
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #9084 on: February 17, 2014, 11:09 AM »

Does anyone else hate it when links seem to state something as fact when they are really asking a question?

As for what they suggest, I just can't see it. Anyone knows why Andy is having some difficult days. It's also obvious that Andy would be less desperate to impress Lendl now than in the beginning. They know each other now, Lendl knows what Andy is capable of, and Andy knows what Lendl expects.

Who is Dan Hunter?   Is he referring to the interview, I think at the AO, when Andy said you try harder to impress in a new relationship.   As far as I remember they had been talking about Novak and Fed taking on new coaches.   He then said that he doesn't try to impress his girlfriend as much now as he did in the beginning so does that mean a break up is in the offing there also?   Usual rubbish.   
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #9085 on: February 17, 2014, 11:28 AM »

Fully agree! I didn't see this coming either, Teejay it's just a question...
   Straight out of the DM school of journalism - hide a provocative/actionable article designed to sell papers behind a questioning headline.  You can virtually write what you like then based on the flimsiest of pretexts.   I loathe that practice.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #9086 on: February 17, 2014, 11:55 AM »

yes total load of rubbish tj.  Of course you're not out to impress your coach in the same way after two years - would be weird if you were.  Why on earth would he want to end such a fruitful partnership when Andy's priority at present is in any case playing himself back to form gradually?  Sorry another rhetorical question but I think a rather more appropriate one than the question in the headline.
and good to see Judy putting the record straight on buying up those houses.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9087 on: February 17, 2014, 01:07 PM »

I would love to know where they get the info. from.  Not long ago Lendl said he would stay with Andy until he retired.  I cannot see Andy 'sacking' Lendl as everyone knows he is coming back from injury and operation.  Considering this he is doing brilliantly.  Lendl has said that Andy was unable to practice hard in Miami as he had to be careful but that it will probably take until the clay season for his to return to his best.

These media people make me sick.  They either deliberately misinterpret what is said or make things up.
I mostly try to ignore them and this includes the BBC.  They take everything out of context.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9088 on: February 17, 2014, 01:23 PM »

I read it as the author is devoid of anything proper to write about, and decides to make something up to fill his copy. Mr M is working his way back after injury. His lack of form is nothing to do with Lendl, and not much to do with Murray either. It's a natural consequence of his surgery and rehab. I can't see them splitting after the success they have had together. I don't think it was any coincidence that Lendl was the first person Murray went to after his Wimbledon victory. I doubt the Grand Slams Murray so desperately craved would have happened without Lendl. Both of them know that.  This is straight out of the Daily Mail/Sun school of journalism.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #9089 on: February 17, 2014, 01:29 PM »

Complete with errors.    "Excited Doha early" could be a typo, but further down" last rights" when he means "last rites" makes me think the first one is also down to ignorance.   Probably more - that was speed reading because I didn't like the content.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 605 [606] 607 608 609 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »