Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 622 [623] 624 625 626 ... 743 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 449317 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: News Articles « Reply #9330 on: March 14, 2014, 11:16 PM »

Dont know about anyone else Debs but I agree. yes
 roflmao  just pressed send before I'd written anything  Embarassed
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #9331 on: March 14, 2014, 11:18 PM »

roflmao  just pressed send before I'd written anything  Embarassed

You need to be quick on the old editing button to beat that bugger robbie.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #9332 on: March 14, 2014, 11:19 PM »

zz  Night Guys of to bed,  wave come on Gulbis beat that bean pole !!!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #9333 on: March 14, 2014, 11:20 PM »

I know I hit edit quickly I thought , obviously not  Smile
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #9334 on: March 14, 2014, 11:20 PM »

Can someone answer a question.  Apparently miami starts Wednesday 19th march? That seems a weird day to start, does it run over a week with the final being played last weekend in march.

Both Masters are 2 week events but you have to get qualifying in too. So two days is dedicated to that.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Articles « Reply #9335 on: March 14, 2014, 11:23 PM »

Aileen trained me. yes
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #9336 on: March 15, 2014, 04:00 PM »

good to read confirmation that he's happy with how his body is standing up but did think the piece was slightly unfair in not acknowledging that Andy's loss to lesser players could reflect the fact he has been working his way back to match fitness.
Deb and ww - thanks for the heads up on Mock the Week.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #9337 on: March 15, 2014, 04:27 PM »

Andy Murray was on the receiving end on Mock The Week in aid of Sport Relief.
Wimbledon champ Andy Murray showed he was game for a laugh when comics on Mock The Week served up a volley of gags at his expense during a Sport Relief special.

The normally taciturn tennis star is a guest for an edition of the topical comedy show with panellists invited to give him a "thrashing", while his girlfriend Kim Sears looks on from the audience.

Show regulars Hugh Dennis and Andy Parsons are joined by Milton Jones, Ed Byrne, Holly Walsh and Hal Cruttenden take it in turns to come up with comic scenarios involving Murray in two special rounds.

The Sport Relief special looks quite like what we saw last September!
"Andy, who says he is a big fan of the show, will be the topic of two special rounds, called ‘Between The Lines’ and ‘Unlikely Things That Andy Murray Would Think’, while his girlfriend Kim Sears joins in the fun from the audience".
http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/mock-the-murray-for-sport-relief/
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #9338 on: March 15, 2014, 05:24 PM »

The Sport Relief special looks quite like what we saw last September!
"Andy, who says he is a big fan of the show, will be the topic of two special rounds, called ‘Between The Lines’ and ‘Unlikely Things That Andy Murray Would Think’, while his girlfriend Kim Sears joins in the fun from the audience".
http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/mock-the-murray-for-sport-relief/

I'm pretty sure this will just be more of what we saw from the last time Andy and Kim paid a visit-I remember reading in an article around then that Andy filmed some extra stuff that would be used as part of the Sport Relief episodes.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #9339 on: March 15, 2014, 06:41 PM »

good to read confirmation that he's happy with how his body is standing up but did think the piece was slightly unfair in not acknowledging that Andy's loss to lesser players could reflect the fact he has been working his way back to match fitness.
Deb and ww - thanks for the heads up on Mock the Week.
welcome Ruthie .
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #9340 on: March 15, 2014, 06:58 PM »

anyone know when the miami draw is taking place?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #9341 on: March 15, 2014, 06:59 PM »

anyone know when the miami draw is taking place?

Monday, 4pm GMT.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9342 on: March 15, 2014, 11:25 PM »

Tremors from exits of Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal may mean shift in balance

While not quite seismic shocks, some surprise defeats at Indian Wells could pave the way for young guns to shine this summer

It seems like every day we wake up to another minor tremor rippling across Planet Tennis. Overnight damage from Indian Wells, which experienced an actual earthquake last year, included the meek exits of Andy Murray and Stanislas Wawrinka and, consequently – following the earlier departure of the defending champion and world No1, Rafael Nadal – there is no incumbent slam champion in the quarter-finals of the first ATP 1000 tournament of the season.

Does it represent a shifting of the sport's tectonic plate, which has been rumbling for at least 18 months? Are the young guns about to take over? Will Murray rediscover his Wimbledon mojo before he slips down the top-10 table?

Not so fast, Moriarty: Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic, the only top eight players left in the tournament, are still punching – although there is cause to wonder.

The 17-slam Swiss, who won his first tournament since Halle in 2013 (his German grass Wimbledon warm-up) when he beat world No6 Tomas Berdych in Dubai, has carried his form to California.

Still the crowd favourite, he looked good again when dismissing his friend Tommy Haas (three years older than him, at 35, and the oldest player in the top 100) in straight sets to book a quarter-final with Kevin Anderson. The tall South African, with the booming serve and coming off two clay finals, broke the 13-match winning run of Federer's compatriot, Wawrinka – convincingly.

Stan, who was so upbeat after beating Djokovic and Nadal on the way to his first slam title in Melbourne in January, giving outsiders everywhere reason to cheer, was hard on himself in defeat. "I was negative the whole match," he said. "I was tired mentally."

That is not good; Wawrinka should have been as fresh as the nearby mountain air in his return to the Tour after a decent break. Strangely, it echoed Murray's pessimism after playing his worst set of tennis in a long time when losing for the third time in four outings to the young Canadian Milos Raonic. Murray put it down to, "a lack of confidence", which invites worries about his ability to get into shape for the rest of the summer. His last tournament win was on that sunlit Sunday at Wimbledon but, even through the filter of early morning television (with the help of much coffee), the picture remains confused.

Murray needs a win, not just a string of encouraging performances mixed with minor disappointments. He has to get on the board at the business end of a tournament and might do so next week in Miami, his second home, where he invariably does well and where he reduced David Ferrer to a molten mess in last year's final.

The question was put to Murray after he lost to Raonic if the absence of his coach, Ivan Lendl, had made any difference to his performance and he was adamant it had not. Nor should it.

The arrival of Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg and Michael Chang on the coaching scene this year was portrayed as copying Lendl's hooking up with Murray and encouraged the view that even the best players suffer from insecurity. Perhaps they do but maybe they should be more self-sufficient. Maybe it is good for them to fly solo occasionally.

Becker has yet to make a perceptible difference to Djokovic's game. The Serb has been strangely out of sorts since winning the ATP World Tour Finals last November and he went to sleep (along with some of us propping up eyelids on this side of the Atlantic) in the first set before beating the in-form Marin Cilic, a player whose pedigree is undoubted in the locker room but which only now is starting to give him some consistent results.

Ernests Gulbis, who has stormed through the BNP Paribas Open in style and gave Grigor Dimitrov a reminder that he is not the only unfulfilled prodigy at large, with some quite stunning tennis. He is the antithesis of the cossetted player; volatile, tough to read and as dangerous as a drunken gunslinger. He plays John Isner on Friday.

But back to Murray: before imploding against Raonic in the third set, he had found the grit to win four of five matches after dropping the first set, so he does not lack resolve. What he needs, maybe, is a little of Gulbis's swagger. Few players suffer so publicly as Murray and he plainly has some work to do to get his A game back. We have seen precious little of it since the Australian Open.

His serve is not in the best shape but he is moving, sideways and in and out from the net, with no apparent discomfort, so, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, it is safe to assume his back is fine. He was not happy with his groundstrokes in the concluding set but this might be down to the slow courts. It is a beautiful setting, Indian Wells, but a bit of a minefield.

If the tournament – still being pushed as a "fifth major" – has told us anything in the first few days, it is that the game is in for some surprises this summer.

If you want a list of names to watch in 2014, try these: Alexandr Dolgopolov, who accounted for Nadal in Indian Wells and who plays Raonic on Thursday; Alejandro González, who looked good taking a set off Djokovic: Jiri Vesely, the youngest player in the top 100 and who gave Murray nightmares, and Dominic Thiem (ditto).

Not all of them will continue to provide seismic shocks but they are on the radar of nearly every leading player on the Tour.

Kevin Mitchell
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Articles « Reply #9343 on: March 16, 2014, 12:00 AM »

^Thats my holiday reading next week sorted.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Articles « Reply #9344 on: March 16, 2014, 12:01 AM »

^Thats my holiday reading sorted.
I can't read posts with so many words.  It's an affliction...  Frown
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 622 [623] 624 625 626 ... 743 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »