Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News on Cromlix House 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 Go Down Reply
Author

News on Cromlix House

(Read 8653 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #240 on: April 29, 2014, 09:46 AM »

this piece in Independent's news pages is really playing up the controversy around it http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/andy-murrays-cromlix-house-hotel-is-served-top-honour-in-tourism-awards--despite-being-open-less-than-a-month-9299176.html

I suppose it's a measure of Andy's 'celebratory' status that it gets this kind of attention
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #241 on: April 29, 2014, 06:33 PM »

There you go, a perfect example of how (willfully) getting the details wrong can change the tone of a story.

I often buy The Independent, but I've noticed a number of quite churlish, and one of the reasons I like it is that it avoids trashy celeb orientated stories, but I've noticed a number of (willfully) inaccurate stories about Andy lately, although they mainly seem to be in the online version.  I'm not sure if they are going for cheap hits with lower journalistic quality for the online paper, or if this is some kind of shift.  I only really notice the ones about Andy, so I'm not sure if this is part of a trend that covers others in the public eye.

I think the problem is that they have an approach of avoiding the trashy celeb stories, yet they know these are the stories that bring in the hits that keep the advertisers happy.  To get around it, they fabricate an angle that suggests they are doing some proper journalism, but is anything but.  They complain about Andy getting unfair attention compared with his non-celeb peers, thus getting all of the advantage of a celebrity name, while apparently not pandering to celebrity.  It's just a shame they didn't take the opportunity to address the balance by writing an article about the other hotels that won prizes that don't have famous owners. Rolling Eyes

I do believe that you have to take the rough with the smooth, and while a lot of what has been said is not just unfair, but mean, it's just one of those things.  The business has had a lot of free publicity thanks to Andy's name too.  The main shame is that the business gets the benefit of the free publicity, while it's usually Andy and his personal reputation that takes the hit.  On that note, the tourist industry in the area as a whole benefits from the extensive international publicity that comes by association.  It's a small hotel, so there will be times when it's full, but people who have read about it decide to say nearby instead.  A lot of local B&Bs will benefit from tourists who want to visit the restaurant and stay nearby etc.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #242 on: April 29, 2014, 10:52 PM »

I certainly couldn't afford to stay there but would be happy to go there for a meal, since the price seems reasonable to me, and that might apply to a lot of people who are visiting the area but who could only afford  B&Bs anyway.  Also if the hotel is full there's always the big Gleneagles Hotel a few miles down the road for anyone wanting luxury accommodation.

I do feel sad though that Andy gets to much stick in certain quarters.  After all, he only bought the hotel, and for very good reasons, anything else being in the hands of Inverlochy Castle Management International, overseen by Kim and Judy, but unfortunately for him that's part and parcel of having celebrity status.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #243 on: April 29, 2014, 11:16 PM »

Heres a sneaky peek short video of cromlix

Check out @chrissymacCNN's Tweet: https://twitter.com/chrissymacCNN/status/458930572229087232
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #244 on: April 29, 2014, 11:53 PM »

Thanks Angie.  Shame she wasn't able to film a bit more.  Still, a little is better than nothing!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #245 on: April 29, 2014, 11:58 PM »

Thanks Angie.  Shame she wasn't able to film a bit more.  Still, a little is better than nothing!

Vines can only be 6 seconds long.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #246 on: April 30, 2014, 12:27 AM »

Vines can only be 6 seconds long.
Thanks.  I'd never even heard of it until now.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #247 on: April 30, 2014, 02:49 AM »

Andy receiving the award for Cromlix House from Gary McLean-Quin, the Chairman of the Judges of
the Scottish Hotel Awards, at the Sheraton Hotel in Edinburgh (from The Daily Record of 28 April)

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #248 on: May 02, 2014, 04:51 AM »

According to The Herald, John McEnroe has booked himself in at this "small budget motel" lol for the Brodies Champions of Tennis which is to be held in Edinburgh from June 19-22.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #249 on: May 02, 2014, 07:29 AM »

Haha.   He probably got a good deal.  Very Happy

Great publicity for the place, especially if he has a practice on the court.  

(Wishing the staff the best of luck.  Whistle )
[ Last edit by *Sparkle* May 02, 2014, 07:57 AM ] IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #250 on: May 02, 2014, 04:29 PM »

Small budget hotel.....hehe Very Happy
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #251 on: May 02, 2014, 07:19 PM »

I shall ask him how he finds it when I see him - my pal and I are going to the Champions event in Edinburgh again this year - we have tickets for Saturday and Sunday.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #252 on: May 02, 2014, 07:22 PM »

I shall ask him how he finds it when I see him - my pal and I are going to the Champions event in Edinburgh again this year - we have tickets for Saturday and Sunday.
How fab - lucky you and your pal!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #253 on: May 02, 2014, 07:33 PM »

We had a great time last year despite the weather (no rain in the beer tent). Went on the Saturday afternoon/evening, then out for dinner and cocktails. Stayed over in Edinburgh and went back again on the Sunday. Finished up with a meal before heading home. Great wee warm up to the school hols. It was soo cold - it was hard to believe that one week later I was at Wimbledon and being baked alive. Happy days!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #254 on: May 02, 2014, 07:36 PM »

We had a great time last year despite the weather (no rain in the beer tent). Went on the Saturday afternoon/evening, then out for dinner and cocktails. Stayed over in Edinburgh and went back again on the Sunday. Finished up with a meal before heading home. Great wee warm up to the school hols. It was soo cold - it was hard to believe that one week later I was at Wimbledon and being baked alive. Happy days!
Sounds good WW - I hope the weather is kinder to you this year!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »