Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News on Cromlix House 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Down Reply
Author

News on Cromlix House

(Read 9314 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #45 on: February 12, 2014, 03:50 PM »

There is a follow-up in the Daily Mail today on the inside pages. Apparently a retired army officer who has lived there for 8 years is also being evicted. He is not going either and is seeing a lawyer. Another one whose signature isn't worth the paper its written on then. Incredibly the Daily Mail is also claiming the tenants have been given a lot of sympathy on the social networking sites! But if you look at the comments on the Daily Mail site, and the number of red and green arrows for each post, Id estimate 90% are supporting Andy.

Must say Im very disappointed in the Daily Mail. I love the paper mainly because they are not politically correct and write stuff that most other papers shy away from. But this is ridiculous. How can they stand up for tenants who are prepared to sign a legal document with a set of terms and conditions and then, just when it suits them, break the terms and conditions. The poor landlord would never have taken these people on in the first place if he knew he was going to be held over a barrel whenever he tried to exercise his legal rights.

lol  The only way he's going to get any sympathy is if there isn't a legally binding lease in place, which the tenants will have signed.  And if there isn't one, which is very unlikely, then more fools them for taking up these tenancies without legal protection.

The Telegraph too mentioned a 'storm' on Twitter, with Andy being accused, among other things, of being 'heartless' and 'a moron', but if Twitter is anything like the DM, then, as you say, Andy will be getting a massive amount of support.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #46 on: February 12, 2014, 04:31 PM »

"Council helping tenants told homes are needed for Murray hotel staff"

Attempts are being made to find new homes for tenants who face eviction to make way for staff at Andy Murray's luxury hotel.

Former hotel owners Henry and Edward Eden have approached Stirling Council's housing department after issuing the families notices to quit the cottages near the five-star Cromlix House, near Dunblane.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/council-helping-tenants-told-homes-are-needed-for-murray-hotel-staff.23403717

Isn't that wonderful - the tenants have got someone else to do their work for them. Rolling Eyes   And it wouldn't surprise me if their 'anguished' pleas have brought offers of accommodation from private landlords as well.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #47 on: February 13, 2014, 08:24 AM »

lol  The only way he's going to get any sympathy is if there isn't a legally binding lease in place, which the tenants will have signed.  And if there isn't one, which is very unlikely, then more fools them for taking up these tenancies without legal protection.

The Telegraph too mentioned a 'storm' on Twitter, with Andy being accused, among other things, of being 'heartless' and 'a moron', but if Twitter is anything like the DM, then, as you say, Andy will be getting a massive amount of support.
The irony of the ill-informed, self-important twitter brigade calling someone a moron is too much to comprehend.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #48 on: February 13, 2014, 08:50 AM »

I've got a twitter feed for Andy mentions on my Hootsuite, and while I wasn't following it obsessively, I saw no evidence of a twitter storm.  In fact, I was surprised at how few people mentioned it, and when you consider the routine way high profile athletes are criticised, I expected much, much more.  I saw just as many talking about how it was a daft story, and a great many more talking about Andy in relation to the Rotterdam tournament, and all of the usual stuff.

As twitter storms go, it was a few rain-drops.  Anyone claiming otherwise is making stuff up.

Perhaps this is payback for those who were daft enough to fall for the marriage joke? Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #49 on: February 13, 2014, 03:57 PM »

Well the DM excels at sensationalising things, and it's obvious that the other media outlets were taking taking their cue from its story, most of them repeating it verbatim.  The Telegraph though was a bit more circumspect and was the only paper to actually mention what some of the tweets were, i.e. the two mentioned in my post.  I suspect they could simply have been showing these tweeters up for the brainless idiots that they are.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 06:38 PM »

I'm afraid I'm more cynical than you when it comes to the press Aileen.  The Telegraph knew that there was no journalistic excuse for them copying the non-story from the Mail, but quite liked its gossipy nature.  In order to justify bringing a celebrity's name into a story they'd never normally run, they had to introduce a non-existent "twitter storm", and use that as the excuse to repeat a tabloid tale. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 12:09 AM »

I've got a twitter feed for Andy mentions on my Hootsuite, and while I wasn't following it obsessively, I saw no evidence of a twitter storm.  In fact, I was surprised at how few people mentioned it, and when you consider the routine way high profile athletes are criticised, I expected much, much more.  I saw just as many talking about how it was a daft story, and a great many more talking about Andy in relation to the Rotterdam tournament, and all of the usual stuff.

As twitter storms go, it was a few rain-drops.  Anyone claiming otherwise is making stuff up.

Perhaps this is payback for those who were daft enough to fall for the marriage joke? Rolling Eyes

I have to say I did a search on twitter and like you found no evidence of this 'twitter storm'. I think I found about 3 less than complimentary tweets.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #52 on: February 14, 2014, 08:07 AM »

Which is less than he gets on a normal day for "being ugly".
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 05:31 PM »

I have to say I did a search on twitter and like you found no evidence of this 'twitter storm'. I think I found about 3 less than complimentary tweets.
Which is less than he gets on a normal day for "being ugly".
Not surprising.  Anyone with half a brain could see that Andy had done nothing wrong and that the aggrieved young woman with the five dogs and two kids was a money-grubbing opportunist.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #54 on: February 17, 2014, 08:20 AM »

Judy not happy about the way the story was reported. As expected, Andy wasn't actually involved in any of it.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/judy-murray-angry-at-claims-andy-is-business-hard-heart.23444515

Judy Murray angry at claims Andy is business hard heart

Hugh Macdonald
Chief Sports Writer
Monday 17 February 2014
THE tennis Braveheart has been depicted as a business hard heart.

However, Andy Murray's portrayal as Scrooge in an eviction controversy has proved to be a mystery for those involved in the £1.8 million deal to buy the Cromlix Hotel, near Dunblane.

Some families in The Square which sits near the hotel have complained that they are being forced out. But Judy Murray, the Wimbledon champion's mother, only agreed to buy these houses with vacant possession.

The sellers - Henry and Edward Eden - have also confirmed all tenants were on short-term leases. It is understood many of the residents, too, were planning to move before the sale with one indicating he was looking for a spring departure.

One tenant apparently moved into The Square knowing a move was necessary before the hotel opened.

The row has disappointed Ms Murray, captain of the Great Britain Federation Cup team and a tennis coach. She said: "I feel this has been manufactured into a story and Andy has been dragged into this when he has no knowledge of any of this. The facts are I agreed to buy the houses in The Square with vacant possession and with the short-term leases it was thought there would be no problem."

The 26-year-old Olympic gold medallist had no part in any discussions and the purchase of The Square is to accommodate staff working at the hotel.

Ms Murray said: "The simple fact is that there is no public transport to the hotel and we felt we had to provide for our staff who could be working late at functions or whatever. It was the obvious move to buy The Square and we have gone about it in a professional and caring manner. The tenants have always known the situation and I understand that accommodation for them will be found."

It is understood Stirling Council is hopeful of finding homes for the tenants who had been informed by the previous owners months ago that the hotel plans would include the sale of The Square with vacant possession.

The Murray family bought the hotel a year ago and intend to open it in April as a five-star, refurbished facility. It is part of a wider initiative by the family to invest in the area with a tennis academy and a six-hole golf course planned for the Park of Keir, near Dunblane.

"It is important for us to put something back in our backyard," said Ms Murray. "I accept that there may be cynical comments about making money but we could have bought a hotel anywhere. We are conscious that this will bring more than 40 jobs to the local community and will revitalise a local asset."

The Murrays, too, are keen to use local businesses to serve the hotel including landscaping, interior design and providing maintenance.

Murray, now back on tour after surgery following his Wimbledon win, has had no direct involvement with the negotiations with the previous owner and controversy over the tenants.

His mother said: "It is quite simple. The hotel was bought and then we entered negotiations to buy The Square. It makes a great story to portray Andy as some kind of wicked owner throwing people out on to the street. But there is one problem with that: it is not true."

After buying Cromlix House, a 15-room Victorian mansion, Andy Murray said: " I'm pleased to be able to give something back to the community I grew up in."

Jamie Murray, the US Open champion's brother, was married in the hotel in 2010.

The comments so far are along the lines of "of course it's a daft story initiated by a bunch of chancers".
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #55 on: February 17, 2014, 08:56 AM »

Good for Judy on speaking out and setting the story straight  clap
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #56 on: February 17, 2014, 08:05 PM »

As if there was any doubt really from what was first reported, but I'm glad Judy clarified the situation once and for all.  That b*tch  with the two bairns and five dogs was an opportunist stirring up trouble in the hope of getting money for her story.  If she did, she should be made to hand it back or donate it to a charity of Andy's choice.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #57 on: March 13, 2014, 05:42 PM »

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotland/murray-excited-by-hotel-launch-1.265569
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #58 on: March 13, 2014, 10:50 PM »

What a lovely article.  Thanks Angie. Smile
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News on Cromlix House « Reply #59 on: March 23, 2014, 03:04 PM »

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/tennis-ace-andy-murray-miss-3273928
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »