Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 81 Go Down Reply
Author

Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer

(Read 21813 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #120 on: August 04, 2012, 10:56 AM »

I don't see much improvement in the anti-Murray trolling:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2183349/London-2012-Olympics-Andy-Murray-beats-Novak-Djokovic-reach-final-Roger-Federer.html#comments
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #121 on: August 04, 2012, 11:06 AM »

Look I am as big a AM fan as anyone else on here but all this lets lose the Mixed Doubles stuff is really getting on my wick. The Olympics is all about winning medals for yourself and also for the Team GB and if Andy can win 2 games of tennis (note: not even full tennis matches in length as only 2 sets played) today then he is in 2(count them folks) Gold Medal Matches tommrow.

If that was the case and he was to win 1 Gold and Silver tomorrow to be honest to me it wouldn’t matter what way round it happened. Imagine mind if he won 2 Gold’s at this Games. Apart from the Cyclists is any other British Athlete got a chance of this?

This goes beyond a normal tennis week for Andy where its all about Singles.

Does anyone else feel its more about medals than beating Fed this weekend.I persoanlly dont think todays games will have nay baring on tommorows matches.Only thing I think it could have a baring on is how he does in Canada next week

It really must be getting on your wick as you've posted more or less the same on another thread.    Where are you finding all this "lets lose the Mixed Doubles stuff".
We can rely on Andy to play his part as a team member but we are entitled to voice our worries if we think he is taking on rather a lot.     Being selfish I love it - it gives me another chance to watch his wonderful tennis.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #122 on: August 04, 2012, 11:15 AM »

Some of the comments were supportive.     I didn't know that the Daily Mail had ANY intelligent readers.   
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #123 on: August 04, 2012, 11:19 AM »

Have you contributed Nigel?
IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #124 on: August 04, 2012, 11:21 AM »

It really must be getting on your wick as you've posted more or less the same on another thread.    Where are you finding all this "lets lose the Mixed Doubles stuff".
We can rely on Andy to play his part as a team member but we are entitled to voice our worries if we think he is taking on rather a lot.     Being selfish I love it - it gives me another chance to watch his wonderful tennis.

Just felt it had to be said.Today is as big a day as tommorow.2 wins today and he will have won 2 medals at the saem games (at worst 2 silver).Think this needs to be pointed out instead of all this lets lose today rubbish.I seem to remeber John McEnroe used to manage to win both doubles and singles playing 5 sets in both.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #125 on: August 04, 2012, 11:32 AM »

Have just done my sums. Prior to the Mixed today Fed has Played 210 games, Murray 149. Absolutely delighted that he has got a silver and doesn't have to scrap around hoping to do well enough to get a bronze.  Really think if the same Murray walks onto the court tomorrow as did yesterday, I.e the "I don't care who wins this match, as long as everybody understands that I am not walking off this court as the loser", he will win.  NJ  couldn't  beat him, and Fed won't be able to either. I think finally he wants it enough. Go and do it man.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #126 on: August 04, 2012, 11:39 AM »

Just felt it had to be said.Today is as big a day as tommorow.2 wins today and he will have won 2 medals at the saem games (at worst 2 silver).Think this needs to be pointed out instead of all this lets lose today rubbish.I seem to remeber John McEnroe used to manage to win both doubles and singles playing 5 sets in both.

But no-one is saying let's lose.   Just saying I won't break my heart if they do.    Andy has said he wanted a medal for the team, the country, and lastly for himself.

He'll play for the team first but I personally would put what's best for Andy first  - especially as it has taken all these years to get home support behind him.
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #127 on: August 04, 2012, 12:12 PM »

I see Andy's success in the finals depending on his ability of mantaining his attacking game over at least 3 sets. When he's pushing forward, now that his forehand is more consistent, he makes the top 3 a lot of trouble(Nadal in last years first set Wimbledon semis, Djokovic yesterday, Federer in the first two sets of this years Wimbledon finals) As you can see, at some stage he pulls away of this strategy and it costs him. Playing on the backfoot is particulary a bad idea against Federer in form. He's destroying you then with the forehand. Combine that with poor serving and you can't do anything.

This sayed, I hope Andy plays aggressive. The result shall  come!
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #128 on: August 04, 2012, 12:52 PM »

When is this?
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #129 on: August 04, 2012, 12:59 PM »

There's two different dynamics going on here, hence the debate I think.

On the one hand, winning any Olympic medal on behalf of your country, especally gold, is a magnificent acheivement, and in the context of the Games the mixed doubles is as important as the men's singles, and I'm sure that Andy will tryhis very hardest. In fact he and Laura are a set up just as I type.

Secondly though, in the context of "proper" men's singles tennis, which for Andy fans is what we follow week in, week out, the Olympic gold is a major, major honour.  Up there with a Slam?  Well, most of the pundits say no, but I say this:  for every mens' Olympic gold medal win there are 16 Slam events. Most GS champions will never win a men's singles Olympic Gold.  They would all very much wish to.  Federer would kill for one.  This is a BIG DEAL for these men, no question about it.

If Andy should win, and I have faith, and befief, then he will have won his country a Gold at our home games.  He will have won a unique tournament which is the privilege of the very, very few.  He will win a place in British tennis history never held by anyone else.  Whether he ever wins a Slam or not (and I think the "new" Andy is going to start winning big time) he wil be recognised as the world class sportsman that he is.

And he will have denied the Smug one his dearest tennis dream, for this must the Fed one's last chance.  And this would please me......

C'mon Andy - cometh the hour, cometh the man.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #130 on: August 04, 2012, 01:07 PM »

Secondly though, in the context of "proper" men's singles tennis, which for Andy fans is what we follow week in, week out, the Olympic gold is a major, major honour.  Up there with a Slam?  Well, most of the pundits say no, but I say this:  for every mens' Olympic gold medal win there are 16 Slam events. Most GS champions will never win a men's singles Olympic Gold.  They would all very much wish to.  Federer would kill for one.  This is a BIG DEAL for these men, no question about it.

If Andy should win, and I have faith, and befief, then he will have won his country a Gold at our home games.  He will have won a unique tournament which is the privilege of the very, very few.  He will win a place in British tennis history never held by anyone else.  Whether he ever wins a Slam or not (and I think the "new" Andy is going to start winning big time) he wil be recognised as the world class sportsman that he is.

And he will have denied the Smug one his dearest tennis dream, for this must the Fed one's last chance.  And this would please me......

Couldn't agree more Mickeypops. My sentinments entirely.

IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #131 on: August 04, 2012, 01:11 PM »

There's two different dynamics going on here, hence the debate I think.

On the one hand, winning any Olympic medal on behalf of your country, especally gold, is a magnificent acheivement, and in the context of the Games the mixed doubles is as important as the men's singles, and I'm sure that Andy will tryhis very hardest. In fact he and Laura are a set up just as I type.

Secondly though, in the context of "proper" men's singles tennis, which for Andy fans is what we follow week in, week out, the Olympic gold is a major, major honour.  Up there with a Slam?  Well, most of the pundits say no, but I say this:  for every mens' Olympic gold medal win there are 16 Slam events. Most GS champions will never win a men's singles Olympic Gold.  They would all very much wish to.  Federer would kill for one.  This is a BIG DEAL for these men, no question about it.

If Andy should win, and I have faith, and befief, then he will have won his country a Gold at our home games.  He will have won a unique tournament which is the privilege of the very, very few.  He will win a place in British tennis history never held by anyone else.  Whether he ever wins a Slam or not (and I think the "new" Andy is going to start winning big time) he wil be recognised as the world class sportsman that he is.

And he will have denied the Smug one his dearest tennis dream, for this must the Fed one's last chance.  And this would please me......

Very well said,  clap
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #132 on: August 04, 2012, 01:23 PM »

One set all for the Mixed Dbls.
3 - 1 to the Aussies, atm
 cmon GB
IP Logged
mumbler

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #133 on: August 04, 2012, 01:25 PM »

I had a good feeling before the semi final from the belief Andy has shown throughout the Olympics and he certainly didn't disappoint. He played a blinder. I'm no jingoistic, blinkered Murray fanatic, but if he can maintain that level I think he has a great chance on Sunday.

There were moments when he was going on the attack against Novak where his body language really reminded me of Nadal in it's stubborn determination. That's definitely the kind of steely physical attitude you want to take to Federer in any final.

cmonandy   cmon GB
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #134 on: August 04, 2012, 01:45 PM »

Well played Andy and Laura, way to go.  clap
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 81 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »