Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 81 Go Down Reply
Author

Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer

(Read 21321 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #90 on: August 04, 2012, 03:48 AM »

Oh, what time is this scheduled for?

Dunno Bev.. can't find a time.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #91 on: August 04, 2012, 03:58 AM »

Oh God - that song makes me howl.  A friend of mine lost her son to a brain tumour when he was wee, and that was his favourite.  She's not really recovered.  There is something very wrong about losing a child - you should go before they do. 
I'd never get over a loss like that, Elly. I can't imagine anything worse.. ever..
Hug your friend from me next time, tightly.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #92 on: August 04, 2012, 04:04 AM »

Many congratulations to Andy for winning either Gold or Silver comes Sunday for GB.

I like what I saw today of Andy.

Andy was taking the fight to Djokovic, hitting the ball hard, accurate, to the side lines, focusing on Djokovic BH, and coming to the net quickly to finish off the points. Andy was not afraid to attack today. I like Andy steely mental attitude. Even though he wasn't serving at his best in the second set, he was digging in and fought toe to toe with Djokovic, not yielding an inch.

I notice Andy has learnt two things from the Wimbledon final
1. When Djokovic hits a winning shot, Andy no longer waste his energy trying to run to reach (also less chance of injury)
2. In Andy approach shot hitting deep to one corner, Andy then slices his volley to the other side, with the ball dying short to give Djokovic no chance to run and reach the ball.

If Andy was able to produce more powerful 1st serves then he would have won more easily.   

Based on this, I think it is quite possible for Andy to win in 4 sets vs Fed.  The main reason being Fed having been stretched to the limit by Delpo for 4.5 hours having had to serve to stay in the match 12 times. Federer admitted to being "extremely drained" by the marathon encounter. The mental and physical stress on the body must have taken a toll and will induce more errors come Sunday.

My only slight concern is if Andy has to play 2 long mixed doubles match tomorrow then his energy reserve could get low comes Sunday and will affect the 1st serve percentage.

The other concern is if it rains and the roof closes.  Fed majestic FH is deadly (although has little margin for error). It is so fast that it puts Andy on the backfoot.

One thing I have noticed is that Andy from time to time slightly hooks his FH risking the ball falling short or into the net.  There is something feeling slightly unnatural about his hooked FH. It takes more time to set up and moves slower unlike Fed's deadly and pure FH.  I think Andy will get this sorted out comes the USO.

I have missed your most excellent and observant posts, Philip. How are you?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #93 on: August 04, 2012, 04:18 AM »

Look, I feel a bit guilty here if I have started it, yes I am an ardent Murray fan, but not one that is totally "Murrayed" I tend to try and be optimistic and not pessimistic and will support him through thick and thin but am objective enough to realise that he is in the top four but not No. 1 (yet).  However, today I was estatic at an amazing performance against possibly the soon to be re-instated No. 1 player.  This is a site to celebrate his success, finally he is coming of age and things appear to be clicking into place.  Perhaps, I was a bit over exhuberant in my postings earlier on, however, I have no problem with people posting to say they feel that Fed will win, he will be the favourite, he is No. 1 player in the world and has massive experience etc.  I don't like the guy but I  would not let that blind me to the fact that he will be installed as favourite.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that is the beauty of living in a democratic society, freedom of speech etc.  So roll on Sunday and I really hope Andy can prevail.

I really enjoy Murrays World as I thought it was somewhere that fellow Murray Fans could get together and discuss the success of Andy, however after tonight and some of the comments think I will have to be a bit more cautious in the future.
Please don't let the utterly ridiculous arguments on this thread stop you.  Clydey and Veronica don't appear very often on the tennis threads, so ignore them.  We're supposed to be discussing a tennis match, not having a knife-sticking competition.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #94 on: August 04, 2012, 05:08 AM »

So now its an Olympic final and another showdown with a man who is truly a living god.  I'm going to take Andy to beat the Fed in 3 tight sets. That's  assuming the weather is fine and its played outdoors. If it rains and the match is played under the roof then god will win in 4.

Step back and observe, people... Pinnochio is bigging up Andy, and tripping over his nose in the process. lol
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #95 on: August 04, 2012, 06:21 AM »

Dunno Bev.. can't find a time.

Found this on the ITF website

Day 9

Date: 5 August
Start time: 12:00

Session description

- Men's singles: gold/bronze medal matches, and victory ceremony

- Women's doubles: gold/bronze medal matches, and victory ceremony

- Mixed doubles: gold medal medal match, and victory ceremony

So gold/silver match before bronze? dontknow
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #96 on: August 04, 2012, 06:25 AM »

Oh God - that song makes me howl.  A friend of mine lost her son to a brain tumour when he was wee, and that was his favourite.  She's not really recovered.  There is something very wrong about losing a child - you should go before they do. 

Oh heck!  Well some tunes will always mean something to someone and I was reading through the thread and that song came to mind immediately.  And yes, you are quite right, parents should go before their kids but sometimes fate chooses a different path. grouphug
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #97 on: August 04, 2012, 06:51 AM »

I hate it when people completely right off our man  when the game has yet to be play.  If Andy can beat Nole then he can beat Fed!!!
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #98 on: August 04, 2012, 07:14 AM »

I have missed your most excellent and observant posts, Philip. How are you?

Thanks Linda. How are you ? I am fine and enjoying Andy's surging run and olympic medals especially the cycling. Sorry I was sleeping earlier so couldn't respond. I am quite hopeful of Andy winning tomorrow as Fed has been spraying more errors when he is tired. Now back to bed Zzzzz.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #99 on: August 04, 2012, 07:51 AM »

Andy will certainly beat Fed when it really matters one day and I'm hoping that it's this Sunday. It's completely different from a slam final and I feel the support of the crowd is lifting Andy to quite a different level too. Fingers crossed
As winning The Davis Cup lifted Nole. Super
However, on a pragmatic level I'm hoping the roof will be open and Fed is suffering serious fatigue. Don't mind a little help. Whistle
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #100 on: August 04, 2012, 08:06 AM »

Skybet Odds:

Federer 8/13
Murray 5/4

Go Andy!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #101 on: August 04, 2012, 08:48 AM »

"I don't feel tired at all," he admitted. "Mentally I feel really fresh. Normally after playing a match with Novak, you will feel a bit fatigued. I feel fine.

"Anybody that knows me knows I won't go into the match happy with just having a silver medal. I go into the match 100% trying to win. I'll give everything I can on the court.

"There's obviously huge motivation to try to win a gold medal. Winning against Roger in a match like that is fairly significant. I'll be desperate to win.

"Now I'm in the final, I have the chance to win a gold medal. I'm not going to have that chance for another four years. So I'll give it everything I can to try to do that."

Murray is also in his first Olympic final, having lost to Lu Yen-Hsun Lu of Taiwan in the first round in Beijing four years ago.

But Federer said of Murray: "He got amazing crowd support in the Wimbledon final. I was able to handle that. But there's never a guarantee. I don't know how much the crowd plays in the outcome of the match.

"He's such a great player but I've been around as well. I think it should be a great match."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19123124
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #102 on: August 04, 2012, 08:50 AM »

Found this on the ITF website

Day 9

Date: 5 August
Start time: 12:00

Session description

- Men's singles: gold/bronze medal matches, and victory ceremony

- Women's doubles: gold/bronze medal matches, and victory ceremony

- Mixed doubles: gold medal medal match, and victory ceremony

So gold/silver match before bronze? dontknow

Bev I think this is describing what will happen over 2 courts - cc and 1.  When I applied for tickets it said that the men's bronze would be played on court 1.  But it's difficult to work out timings.  BBC TV seems to be putting the final at 2pm.
And MM please don't stop posting. Things seem to have got a bit out of hand over night.  But I often look to you for a more positive perspective when people are getting down on Andy which is not to say you watch through rose-tinted spectacles.  
I wonder if the fact that Fed so desperately wants gold as the one thing he doesn't have in singles will give Andy an advantage.  For Andy silver will itself be a huge achievement so he can just go for it and not worry about what a loss would mean.  I would so love to see Andy on the gold podium above smugfed.   cmon yeah cmon yeah
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #103 on: August 04, 2012, 08:55 AM »

I have just the highlights of the semi and what a match.  Andy was using all of his skills and brain to win that.  Hopefully he will be able to do the same against Federer.  My feeling is he definitely can.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Olympic Medal Match : Murray v Federer « Reply #104 on: August 04, 2012, 08:56 AM »

Just checked the weather forecast and at present it's not showing showers for first part of pm in SW19 tomorrow so fingers crossed will be played with roof open. pray
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 81 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »