Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 ... 81 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer  (Read 16307 times)
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1080 on: August 05, 2012, 06:54 PM »

I'd make a case for it being AT LEAST as big as a slam.  There are 16 Slam events for every Olypic championship.  You are representing your country, not just yourself.  There's no prize money involved, just pure sporting kudos.

Even if Andy goes through his entire career now without ever winning a GS (and I think he's going to start gobbling them up now like a man possessed) then they'll have to add the phrase, "Olympic Champion" when they talk about him.
Yes our Andy is an Olympian something to have for his lifetime.
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Andy Murray is better than you.

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1081 on: August 05, 2012, 06:56 PM »

That stamp is brilliant
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1082 on: August 05, 2012, 06:58 PM »

Teejay - I agree with every feeling you express here.  Should point out though that Andy wins 720 ranking points for that - not to be sneezed at!

No, not at all to be sneezed at, but you know what I mean. It's not as many as a Masters, which seems daft given how big the Olympics is. Still, he's got that Gold medal and the title,which is really what it's all about, and I'd take those ranking points any day for a performance like that. My sister phoned at the end of the Men's singles, knowing I would be watching and so thrilled for Andy. She said she can't remember many better performances from him. I'm inclined to agree!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1083 on: August 05, 2012, 07:02 PM »

Wow is that really a stamp?  Would love to have one.

Yes indeed, it is a genuine stamp. All Gold medal winners get one, and a letterbox will be painted gold in their hometown. Dunblane or Surrey do we think? It has to be Dunblane surely. I bet they are chuffed for Andy!
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1084 on: August 05, 2012, 07:02 PM »

My brother is buying one for me he lives in England. But the Royal Mail said you can order all stamps on line too.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1085 on: August 05, 2012, 07:04 PM »

Still amazed but not amazed at the same time. The signs were there in the semi, the hunger finally outweighed the nerves. Things finally fell into place for him, from that nice Mr Darcis, dealing with Berdych for him and getting the bogie man out of the way, to the ITF giving him a Mixed Doubles place to distract him. Plus Del P helping to knacker Pillock Fed.  At the moment I don't give a toss about the MD, they have both got silvers. I hope he enjoys it. I also think that nobody can really doubt he has just won the 5th GS.  If it looks like a GS, behaves like a GS, and is run like one, for all practical purposes it is one.  The actual one is just round the corner.  What has changed is he now believes he can do it. What this will do for his confidence is going to brilliant to watch. He is up with the big boys now, and no one, particularly him, can question his place now. He has got the medal to prove it , and cuddle.  I think the semi was the turning point. Neither NJ or Fed stood a chance, when his head got into the same zone as his playing ability.  Completely brill. 

I agree completely. Brilliant post.

A shame Andy and Laura couldn't quite pull it off in the Mixed Dubs, but a silver isn't so very bad to go with Andy's Gold - hey, that sounds like a racehorse!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1086 on: August 05, 2012, 07:12 PM »

Federer - Murray

Winners: 24-27
UFE's: 31-17
Aces: 9-5
DF's: 1-1
1st serve %: 65% - 51%
1st serve points won: 65% - 80%
BP's: 0/9 - 5/10

Total points: 68 - 97

Those are incredible stats! Oh my God (excuse the blasphemy) he virtually knocked Smugfed off the court! HA!
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1087 on: August 05, 2012, 07:23 PM »

Hallelujah Aileen. It was the most wonderful tennis match I've seen Murray produced his best form and gained the Gold Medal It was just marvellous.
IP Logged
Queen N
Futures Level

Muzzah!

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1088 on: August 05, 2012, 07:23 PM »

Great day for British tennis
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1089 on: August 05, 2012, 07:29 PM »

Well I did predict Andy would win this in 3 sets (just as I predicted Andy would beat Joker in 2). This win is the tipping point IMO. Its mental change as much as anything. The next 18 months will belong to  Andy and he will start off by winning the US Open next month.
IP Logged
deb
ATP Level

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1090 on: August 05, 2012, 08:02 PM »

Well I did predict Andy would win this in 3 sets (just as I predicted Andy would beat Joker in 2). This win is the tipping point IMO. Its mental change as much as anything. The next 18 months will belong to  Andy and he will start off by winning the US Open next month.
I did agree with you when you posted , and I agree this is the start of a huge winning streak for Andy, the most amazing singles , and great dubs , well done Andy so so so proud of you, the future looks very bright indeed.  yay yay
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1091 on: August 05, 2012, 08:03 PM »

I really didn't think Andy would win in 3 sets. I think it was McEnroe saying after the match that the Olympics should be treated like a slam next time (in terms of points). Heartily agree with that. Onwards and upwards from here - that gold post box better be in Dunblane!
IP Logged
deb
ATP Level

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1092 on: August 05, 2012, 08:04 PM »

Wow straight to the post office tomorrow .
IP Logged
deb
ATP Level

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1093 on: August 05, 2012, 08:12 PM »

I will get you some if you let me know were to send them Apollo.
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Andy Murray is better than you.

Re: Olympic Medal Match: Murray v Federer « Reply #1094 on: August 05, 2012, 08:15 PM »

Wow straight to the post office tomorrow .

Indeed and you can order them online too I think.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 ... 81 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »