Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 Go Down Reply
Author

Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka

(Read 6039 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #375 on: July 29, 2012, 04:47 PM »

Perhaps they'll try and fit more matches on to CC by starting earlier and playing later. Indeed they might move a match on to there this evening if other matches over quickly even though as we saw during Wimbledon they're reluctant to do that but I think it's different people making the decisions here.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #376 on: July 29, 2012, 04:49 PM »

Let's face it - from some sections of the media he gets very little credit for anything!
yes
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #377 on: July 29, 2012, 05:02 PM »

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Hi All,

My sister phoned just as Andy was about to take the first set, but thank God for laryngitis, because she didn't keep me on the phone long! I have to say that at one point in the match I forgot I couldn't cheer for Andy. I tried and nearly choked myself  doh.

Well, a few tight moments there, but I think Andy played well. I'm chuffed it was straight sets. That will help going forwards. I hope his first serve percentage picks up a bit hereafter. I'm sure it will now he's got this one out of the way. I just think today was bound to be a bit nervy, but he kept his head quite well and got through pretty sharpish. Good one. clap

I do think Andy seemed a bit nervous at the start, and the stupid scoreboard misbehaving didn't help. What made me laugh was idiot Cotter (that's his new name, I HATE that commentator, HATE, HATE, HATE!) saying people in the crowd needed the scoreboard so they could tell what the score was. I mean, what else is a scoreboard for, the weather forecast? roflmao Mind you, surely the crowd follow tennis well enough to know what the score is, and the umpire announces it, so to my mind they could just have turned the ruddy thing off.

The crowd were a bit weird. Quiet at times, but they did lift Andy quite well when he needed it. All those empty seats is a disgrace though. I couldn't go, but there must surely be people who would kill for seats on Centre Court. Mind you, it isn't the only event where there have been empty seats. Someone has made a real hash of ticket allocations. Frankly it makes this country look awful.

I was annoyed by all the references to the Wimbledon final today. We all know what happened, we know who won, we don't need reminding every five minutes.

Am I being ultra cynical or does anyone else think Smugfed didn't go to the match so much as to support Stan as to get in to Andy's head? I despise that man and wouldn't put anything past him. I'm sick of hearing about how self-sacrificing he was in letting Stan carry the flag. There's just no way he did it out of the goodness of his heart. Personally I'm not sure he's got one.

Looks like Niemenen up next for Andy. I'm not too worried about that one. Then it's either Gasquet or Baggy. On balance I might prefer Gasquet. I'm not sure my nerves could cope with Baggy. nervous

The other thing I want to ask is how is everyone finding the sound on the extra BBC channels? On the tennis I can hear the commentators, but the sound on the court is really quiet. I like to hear the ball being struck and I don't think you can hear it clearly. I wonder if they have microphones in different positions compared to the Championships.

Still, Andy's through, I'm happy!

IP Logged
Becky
Challenger Level

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #378 on: July 29, 2012, 05:03 PM »

So pleased that our favourite Olympian has won. Hope he carries on the winning ways.

One Swiss down, another to go.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #379 on: July 29, 2012, 05:10 PM »

Darcis, Giraldo, Bogomolov or Almagro.
Wawrinka-Nieminen-Gasquet-Almagro looks a hell of a lot easier than Wawrinka-Nieminen-Gasquet-Berdych.

I'm not worried about Nieminen (final last words? Rolling Eyes) but Gasquet will be the big one. Get through that and it should be a relative breeze in the QFs.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #380 on: July 29, 2012, 05:14 PM »

However, maybe Andy has learned from that match. He learns all the time.
Fed will always be tough to beat, as will as the two others.

We will hope. Fingers X'ed

I'd hope that he did. He will need to take advantage of any breakpoints like Federer does and also, will have to protect his own game and that's the single most important thing to do in any match. I do feel Andy has learned a lot from that match.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #381 on: July 29, 2012, 05:17 PM »

So pleased that our favourite Olympian has won. Hope he carries on the winning ways.

One Swiss down, another to go.

That sums it up for me too. I have to admit after the first couple of long games I thought it would go all the way to a 3rd set. I am a natural pessimist though, so very pleased he came through in straight sets. Especially the games when Wawrinka had bps!

I was watching on Freeview channel 301. Didn't particularly notice a lack of ball sound teejay but was on the phone for part of the match so I must listen more closely next time. They cut away pretty quickly to gymnastics - weird not having the after match interviews whatever you actually think of them!

Was a bit surprised that they showed the Swiss box so much (seemed like it was more often than Andy's, anyway). Understand Fed being there when Stan was at his match yesterday but Mirka too? Who was watching the twins?!

Overall a good win for Andy even if it was a somewhat closer match than the scoreline suggested.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #382 on: July 29, 2012, 05:18 PM »

Like you Teejay - I'd be moe worried about Baggy than Gasquet.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #383 on: July 29, 2012, 05:19 PM »

Rubbish!

Bear in mind that it wasn't a commentator who said it. It was Andrew Cotter, who is annoying and clearly a Fed fan. Personally I think they put him in the commentary box out of sympathy. He's such an idiot.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #384 on: July 29, 2012, 05:25 PM »

Super Comfortable start for Andy!!!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #385 on: July 29, 2012, 05:27 PM »

Well played Andy, very proud of you. clap clap
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #386 on: July 29, 2012, 06:14 PM »

I do think Andy seemed a bit nervous at the start, and the stupid scoreboard misbehaving didn't help. What made me laugh was idiot Cotter (that's his new name, I HATE that commentator, HATE, HATE, HATE!) saying people in the crowd needed the scoreboard so they could tell what the score was. I mean, what else is a scoreboard for, the weather forecast? roflmao Mind you, surely the crowd follow tennis well enough to know what the score is, and the umpire announces it, so to my mind they could just have turned the ruddy thing off.
Andrew Cotter.  Commentates mainly for rugby and golf.  He does cover Wimbledon occasionally and so probably why he got roped in here as well.  He can be a bit abrasive at times but other than that I quite like him, and I think he's always been reasonably fair to Andy - something I can't say about Tim Henman (jealousy?)

The crowd were a bit weird. Quiet at times, but they did lift Andy quite well when he needed it. All those empty seats is a disgrace though. I couldn't go, but there must surely be people who would kill for seats on Centre Court. Mind you, it isn't the only event where there have been empty seats. Someone has made a real hash of ticket allocations. Frankly it makes this country look awful.
A huge public fuss is being made about all these empty seats, despite Lord Coe telling us that events had been sold out.  They should give them to children either that or sell the tickets at a greatly reduced cost to the cash-strapped British public.

Am I being ultra cynical or does anyone else think Smugfed didn't go to the match so much as to support Stan as to get in to Andy's head? I despise that man and wouldn't put anything past him. I'm sick of hearing about how self-sacrificing he was in letting Stan carry the flag. There's just no way he did it out of the goodness of his heart. Personally I'm not sure he's got one.
Goodness knows, but I suspect today he went so's he could be "seen" on Swiss TV as supporting Switzerland.  I only saw him twice and he looked as though he was enjoying himself - not!

The other thing I want to ask is how is everyone finding the sound on the extra BBC channels? On the tennis I can hear the commentators, but the sound on the court is really quiet. I like to hear the ball being struck and I don't think you can hear it clearly. I wonder if they have microphones in different positions compared to the Championships.
Well you're lucky you can even get the extra channels.  Despite BBC promising that those of us who only have Freeview would get them on the red button, if we retuned our sets, I can't get them and neither can anyone else I've spoken to.  It's disgraceful, especially as not everyone has a computer they can turn to and get them online.  I think I'm going to complain.  Can't stand it when organisations like that make promises they can't keep.
[ Last edit by Aileen July 29, 2012, 06:21 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #387 on: July 29, 2012, 06:31 PM »

That sums it up for me too. I have to admit after the first couple of long games I thought it would go all the way to a 3rd set. I am a natural pessimist though, so very pleased he came through in straight sets. Especially the games when Wawrinka had bps!

I was watching on Freeview channel 301. Didn't particularly notice a lack of ball sound teejay but was on the phone for part of the match so I must listen more closely next time. They cut away pretty quickly to gymnastics - weird not having the after match interviews whatever you actually think of them!

Was a bit surprised that they showed the Swiss box so much (seemed like it was more often than Andy's, anyway). Understand Fed being there when Stan was at his match yesterday but Mirka too? Who was watching the twins?!

Overall a good win for Andy even if it was a somewhat closer match than the scoreline suggested.
You got this match on Freeview?  You must be the only person I know who can!  I got it on BBC2.  How'd you manage it?

I wouldn't worry about the twins.  The Federers always travel with an entourage including a nanny, and a nurse in case they get ill.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #388 on: July 29, 2012, 07:10 PM »

Aileen at 6.14 "I think he's always been reasonably fair to Andy - something I can't say about Tim Henman (jealousy?)"

Really? I've always thought Tim's been really supportive of Andy.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Olympics 2012: R1 Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #389 on: July 29, 2012, 08:00 PM »

I don't mind Tim Henman but have always thought he could easily many times have helped Andy about that wee football joke Andy made all these years ago which has caused so much bile and nastiness for Andy . He was there and could easily have said that Andy was only joking back at him after Tim dissed the Scottish team.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »