Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Down Reply
Author

Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen

(Read 5767 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #195 on: July 31, 2012, 04:06 PM »

Hi All,

Well now, who's a clever boy then yayclap clap clap clap clap

Great performance today from our Andy, who is looking so assured in his own skin. You know, I swear he is looking taller lately, it looks good on him. His first serve percentage was up on the Wawrinka match, which was what I wanted to see, and he was altogether just great. Okay, a couple of wobbles of concentration here and there, but he was never, ever seriously troubled. He could have probably wrapped it up quicker, some of his errors did come from probably trying to be a bit cute, but then again if he'd pulled them all off we'd all say he was brilliant. To my mind it's all about when you take those risks, and Andy knew he was all right, so he went for it. It's a fine line though isn't it? That line where confidence becomes cockiness. I think he's all right though, I really do.

I kind of felt a bit sorry for Nieminen. Well, sort of.....Well actually, in truth, I didn't! I wanted Andy to win and he did, so......Nieminen just couldn't come up with the goods today, simple as that. It was pretty much a practice session for Andy.

I wish John Lloyd hadn't said that about the gold. Yes, Andy looks fantastic. Yes, he is playing well. I have to say as well that he is up for the challenge at the Olympics, you can sense it in him, you can see it in his eyes as well. The fire is there. My problem with the comment is that if Andy goes on and then misses the gold there will be some who will consider it a failure, when really any medal would be a wonderful acheivement. That said, I would love the gold for him. It would be awesome. But there is a way to go yet, and I think Andy is mature enough to take it one step at a time.

Baggy in the next round? Do I need to worry? I would have liked it to have been Gasquet, for obvious reasons. Still, you have to deal with what is there, not what isn't. I honestly think if Andy can go out there and take it to Baggy he has a great chance. I think actually they should make Andy play against the clock. Look what that did for him in the end at the Championships. I will never forget the way he played that fourth set in that match. Andy was incredible. Basically he just needs to come out and play like that. A great serving day would be helpful too Whistle.

I do think they are making just a bit too much of Andy's demeanour and Lendl's part in its improvement. I do think he is a factor, but as I've said before, I do think Andy started to get a grip before Lendl arrived on the scene. The difference now, at least I think, is that being much calmer is now more natural, more second nature, and it is helping him a great deal.

I think the analysis of Andy's comment about his maturity was a bit daft and didn't give Andy enough credit. It strikes me that Andy is quite self aware. I also think maturity can just come, not just in tennis but in every day life, we can suddenly realise we've become better at dealing with things and people around us, and maybe, just maybe, Andy has reached that point in his life. I may be wrong, but I don't really see Lendl sitting Andy down and having a 'you've got to grow up' conversation. Where I can see Lendl having some input is in that area of dealing with mistakes better, not needing to get wound up over silly things. In a way I suspect he has helped Andy to just be that bit easier on himself, because that is the way he seems to come across now. He still hates missing, but he doesn't allow it to eat him alive now, and that has to be better.

So, next stop Baggy. Can I have permission to smack Maclagan if he starts doing all the fist pumping again, assuming he is there? I can understand him supporting his man, but that was right over the top at the Championships. It got on MY nerves, never mind Andy's.

Must just say as well, I liked the shirt Andy wore today. Much nicer than the other one. Very Happy

IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #196 on: July 31, 2012, 04:15 PM »

Please  God.  Dear Lord.  Do not let Andy's balls fall out this time in the Baggy match.   Yours sincerely  ~ a concerned tennis fan
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #197 on: July 31, 2012, 04:27 PM »

Hi All,

Well now, who's a clever boy then yayclap clap clap clap clap

Great performance today from our Andy, who is looking so assured in his own skin. You know, I swear he is looking taller lately, it looks good on him. His first serve percentage was up on the Wawrinka match, which was what I wanted to see, and he was altogether just great. Okay, a couple of wobbles of concentration here and there, but he was never, ever seriously troubled. He could have probably wrapped it up quicker, some of his errors did come from probably trying to be a bit cute, but then again if he'd pulled them all off we'd all say he was brilliant. To my mind it's all about when you take those risks, and Andy knew he was all right, so he went for it. It's a fine line though isn't it? That line where confidence becomes cockiness. I think he's all right though, I really do.

I kind of felt a bit sorry for Nieminen. Well, sort of.....Well actually, in truth, I didn't! I wanted Andy to win and he did, so......Nieminen just couldn't come up with the goods today, simple as that. It was pretty much a practice session for Andy.

I wish John Lloyd hadn't said that about the gold. Yes, Andy looks fantastic. Yes, he is playing well. I have to say as well that he is up for the challenge at the Olympics, you can sense it in him, you can see it in his eyes as well. The fire is there. My problem with the comment is that if Andy goes on and then misses the gold there will be some who will consider it a failure, when really any medal would be a wonderful acheivement. That said, I would love the gold for him. It would be awesome. But there is a way to go yet, and I think Andy is mature enough to take it one step at a time.

Baggy in the next round? Do I need to worry? I would have liked it to have been Gasquet, for obvious reasons. Still, you have to deal with what is there, not what isn't. I honestly think if Andy can go out there and take it to Baggy he has a great chance. I think actually they should make Andy play against the clock. Look what that did for him in the end at the Championships. I will never forget the way he played that fourth set in that match. Andy was incredible. Basically he just needs to come out and play like that. A great serving day would be helpful too Whistle.

I do think they are making just a bit too much of Andy's demeanour and Lendl's part in its improvement. I do think he is a factor, but as I've said before, I do think Andy started to get a grip before Lendl arrived on the scene. The difference now, at least I think, is that being much calmer is now more natural, more second nature, and it is helping him a great deal.

I think the analysis of Andy's comment about his maturity was a bit daft and didn't give Andy enough credit. It strikes me that Andy is quite self aware. I also think maturity can just come, not just in tennis but in every day life, we can suddenly realise we've become better at dealing with things and people around us, and maybe, just maybe, Andy has reached that point in his life. I may be wrong, but I don't really see Lendl sitting Andy down and having a 'you've got to grow up' conversation. Where I can see Lendl having some input is in that area of dealing with mistakes better, not needing to get wound up over silly things. In a way I suspect he has helped Andy to just be that bit easier on himself, because that is the way he seems to come across now. He still hates missing, but he doesn't allow it to eat him alive now, and that has to be better.

So, next stop Baggy. Can I have permission to smack Maclagan if he starts doing all the fist pumping again, assuming he is there? I can understand him supporting his man, but that was right over the top at the Championships. It got on MY nerves, never mind Andy's.

Must just say as well, I liked the shirt Andy wore today. Much nicer than the other one. Very Happy
I think that's the problem when playing somebody who isn't giving you much opposition - the temptation to be cute and play shots you would never have played against a better opponent.  Too much time to think?  Anyway he needs to cut it out.  Momentum in matches can change very suddenly, as John Lloyd kept reminding us ad nauseam.

I could have thumped Lloyd for saying Andy would win gold.  At least the other comm was a bit more restrained when he said Andy might win a medal but he didn't know what colour.   Long way to go yet before we can start talking about medals.

Re Andy's demeanour - that was showing signs of improvement towards the end of last year after Andy was getting coaching from Cahill, and I agree that Lendl has done a good job of getting Andy to stop getting so down on himself when he makes mistakes.  Quietly acknowledge them and move on immediately.  OK so he threw his racquet down at one point in the doubles, but I think all players are entitled to show a little bit of frustration at times.  At least Andy doesn't smash them up like Djokovic does.

If Maclagan starts his nonsense again I don't think it'll bother Andy however much it might bother us!

I wasn't sure about Andy's outfit at first then came to the conclusion that it did suit him better.  The dark colour made him look more aggressive.

Please  God.  Dear Lord.  Do not let Andy's balls fall out this time in the Baggy match.   Yours sincerely  ~ a concerned tennis fan
That could be seriously misconstrued. lol  I'm pretty sure Adidas will make sure that that won't happen again, although Andy may have gone for a safer style anyway.

[ Last edit by Aileen July 31, 2012, 04:33 PM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #198 on: July 31, 2012, 04:32 PM »

roflmao

I'll pray too!!!!!!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #199 on: July 31, 2012, 04:36 PM »

Please  God.  Dear Lord.  Do not let Andy's balls fall out this time in the Baggy match.   Yours sincerely  ~ a concerned tennis fan
Had to read this twice before I realised what you were referring to. lmao
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #200 on: July 31, 2012, 05:01 PM »

So glad Andy won, I hope it is recorded so I can see the match. Been a rough couple of days with having a family emergency and husband rushed to hospital. Keep up the good work Andy !
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #201 on: July 31, 2012, 05:37 PM »

So glad Andy won, I hope it is recorded so I can see the match. Been a rough couple of days with having a family emergency and husband rushed to hospital. Keep up the good work Andy !
Oh you poor thing how worrying , hope alls well, and you still have time to support Andy.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #202 on: July 31, 2012, 05:37 PM »

Well played Mr Murray, your a star.  cmon yeah
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #203 on: July 31, 2012, 06:33 PM »

Leave it to me, I'm quite pally with God. I will personally make sure Andy's balls stay where they are supposed to.

Now, now, you dirty-minded lot, I'm talking tennis balls lol.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #204 on: July 31, 2012, 06:35 PM »

Leave it to me, I'm quite pally with God. I will personally make sure Andy's balls stay where they are supposed to.

Now, now, you dirty-minded lot, I'm talking tennis balls lol.

hahaha  ok If you say.  This is a tough job tho.   Don't make God angry.  haha 
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #205 on: July 31, 2012, 06:47 PM »

Does Andy play tomorrow or Thursday? 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #206 on: July 31, 2012, 06:52 PM »

I think that's the problem when playing somebody who isn't giving you much opposition - the temptation to be cute and play shots you would never have played against a better opponent.  Too much time to think?  Anyway he needs to cut it out.  Momentum in matches can change very suddenly, as John Lloyd kept reminding us ad nauseam.

Hi Aileen and all,

To be truthful I think Andy just came across as so relaxed that he could try a few things. Sure, momentum can change quickly in a best of three, but to be honest I think Andy was looking for ways of keeping himself on his toes as well. Frankly I was worried at one point he might doze off it was so easy for him. Nieminen just had so little to come at Andy with today and I honestly think Andy sensed that early on and went for him.

I don't think Andy will take silly risks against Baggy. I think he will want to take his chances, but I honestly don't think he'll be stupid. I think he wants to do well quite badly, he won't want to put that at any stupid risk if he can help it. I think he knows the potential threat that Baggy is, he'll know he has to take him seriously.

No, I don't suppose Maclagan's nonsense will bother Andy. In the mood he seems to be in I suspect very little will bother him outside of what is going on on the court. That said, it will bother me. I'm struggling with not being able to yell at the TV at the moment, and if Maclagan starts being annoying it will do me no good at all lol.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #207 on: July 31, 2012, 07:26 PM »

jk they play every day now till friday which is men's sfs. 
I think where lendl might have helped is in helping Andy accept he will make mistakes some times and that perfectionism can be a hindrance at times.
Apollo do hope your husband is ok - good of you to find time to post in the circumstances.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #208 on: July 31, 2012, 07:48 PM »

Andy has a tough looking match versus Baggie tomorrow then. Baggie spanked Gasquet 6-4 6-4 which is a hell of a result given Gasquet is pretty darned good on grass.
Probably Almagro in the semis but his best surface is clay.

Djokovic looks a shoe-in for the semis now. Tsonga is going to be shattered even if he manages to reach the QF.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Olympics 2012 R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #209 on: July 31, 2012, 07:50 PM »

aileen @ 4.27 please can we not have huge quotes  pray
makes reading really long winded.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »