Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 Go Down Reply
Author

Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis

(Read 7026 times)
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #510 on: August 01, 2012, 07:46 PM »

Whatever - it seems Miss Watson's nose has been put a little out of joint -

http://www.10sballs.com/2012/08/01/british-olympic-mixed-doubles-selection-becomes-a-feud/
Thanks for the link Aileen. I can appreciate her disappointment of course, but this is a carefully considered descision by Team GB and Andy we must bow to his judgement and influence as he is the the other 50 % of the team.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #511 on: August 01, 2012, 07:55 PM »

^ I think Heather was just feeling a bit sour after her singles loss as well.  Also Andy and Laura have played together fairly successfully.  He would have had no time to get used to playing with Heather.  Can't take that sort of chance in the Olympics.
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #512 on: August 01, 2012, 08:01 PM »

Whatever - it seems Miss Watson's nose has been put a little out of joint -

http://www.10sballs.com/2012/08/01/british-olympic-mixed-doubles-selection-becomes-a-feud/

Interesting story I feel for Watson, seems like there is more to this story than meets the eye.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #513 on: August 01, 2012, 08:35 PM »

Awww thanks Deb. hug  He's made my day.
And mine, Lashurst, but a great pressie from Andy.   hug
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #514 on: August 01, 2012, 08:37 PM »

murray/robson v stepanek/hradecka scheduled for 8.25pm  http://www.flashscores.co.uk/tennis/mixed-doubles/olympic-games/
thank you for posting that url, so at least there will be a place to check the scores.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #515 on: August 01, 2012, 08:40 PM »

Interesting story I feel for Watson, seems like there is more to this story than meets the eye.
I feel sorry for her too, given that she's Britain's No.1 in both singles and doubles, but I think it's plain to most of us that Andy and Laura have proved to be a successful partnership albeit in the fairly lowly Hopman Cup.  I'm not quite clear though just who exactly made the decision.  The article first suggests that it was Andy, and then he says this -

I listened to what the coaches on the team had to say. The decision was made because that’s what we felt was the best to try and win a medal. Heather played some good doubles this year so it’s tough on her but tough decisions have to be made sometimes.

Oh well, the proof of the pudding, etc ...
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #516 on: August 01, 2012, 08:40 PM »

As far as I know there has not been ONE mention of Andys wins this week, on Sky News (TV). I dont know if the BBC, UK  is just as bad?
I can only get the BBC World news here.

If so it's poor coverage of our home grown No.1 tennis star.

Comments?

There hasn't been that much on Andy just the news saying he has won , and a bit in the papers, I quess there is a lot of sport to report, but I have been surprised at how little there has been , Wimbeldon was reported on all the time.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #517 on: August 01, 2012, 08:48 PM »

thank you for posting that url, so at least there will be a place to check the scores.
I can't find Tonedial's post confused  Anyway I checked that link at according to it Andy and Laura will be playing their match tomorrow at 12 noon, which does seem more logical given that if they played at 8.25 pm they would have to play under the roof - but maybe they are?

02.08.  12:00            
Robson L./Murray A.
-                           
Hradecka L./Stepanek R.

I'm off before I lose the plot completely!!
[ Last edit by Aileen August 01, 2012, 08:56 PM ] IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #518 on: August 01, 2012, 08:52 PM »

There hasn't been that much on Andy just the news saying he has won , and a bit in the papers, I quess there is a lot of sport to report, but I have been surprised at how little there has been , Wimbeldon was reported on all the time.
Thanks Deb. I expect it will get more interesting for them from the QF onwards....when the possibility of a medal of some sort becomes more apparent.  Shrug
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #519 on: August 01, 2012, 09:11 PM »

I expect Laura personally asking him back in March had some weight on his decision as well. Imagine how she would have felt if, having already played with him and personally asked him about it, he went  behind her back and chose Watson. Andy's too nice for that. It is harsh on Heather and I feel a little sorry for her, but I'm sure she understands.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #520 on: August 01, 2012, 09:13 PM »

Thought they might be.  Rules are that if a player has played a 3-setter the rest period should be 90 mins, although still up to the player involved.

This could get interesting though.  Wonder if Andy'll pull out?  Then Hutchins/Watson could play.  Dunno, really.

Think it should have been Hutchins Watson anyway.  Sorry Andy
[ Last edit by Tessie August 01, 2012, 09:19 PM ] IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #521 on: August 01, 2012, 09:17 PM »

I expect Laura personally asking him back in March had some weight on his decision as well. Imagine how she would have felt if, having already played with him and personally asked him about it, he went  behind her back and chose Watson. Andy's too nice for that. It is harsh on Heather and I feel a little sorry for her, but I'm sure she understands.

He wouldn't have had to go behind Robson's back though Wastson is the better ranked player he should have just been up front and told Robson that.

Ranking is a difference between Robson and Watson I wonder if there are any other subtle differences we may have overlooked....?
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #522 on: August 01, 2012, 09:19 PM »

He wouldn't have had to go behind Robson's back though Wastson is the better ranked player he should have just been up front and told Robson that.

Ranking is a difference between Robson and Watson I wonder if there are any other subtle differences we may have overlooked....?
I'm sure the decision was not up entirely up to Andy.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #523 on: August 01, 2012, 09:19 PM »

Even so, it would have been a complete rejection.

Given they have played together before I think that far outweights the minor difference in ranking and I'm sure Murray feels the same. I have faith that he's made the right decision.

I don't see how it's become such a big story. People just trying to stir it up for no apparent reason.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Olympics 2012 R3: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #524 on: August 01, 2012, 09:19 PM »

I agree deb, they seem to be deliberately making no mention of the tennis in the roundup of the day's events? In the programmes I've watched the tennis hasn't featured at all apart from the odd shot of Andy in the opening/closing sequence.

As far as the mixed is concerned, I'm pretty sure Andy asked Laura if she would like to play with him at the Olympics a couple of years ago at the Hopman Cup.  They played Hopman Cup two years running and did well.  Andy and Heather have never played together.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »