Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray Pictures 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 1093 [1094] 1095 1096 1097 ... 1352 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray Pictures

(Read 817444 times)
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16395 on: July 17, 2013, 11:01 PM »

That's enough of the gifs for now.

goodman
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16396 on: July 18, 2013, 01:27 PM »

Andy after the match with Doug Dickson (the senior locker room attendant retiring from carrying the bags after 42 years.What a special match for his last!)

That was a lovely moment. They caught it on the TV as well. I wondered whether they exchanged a few words, but I'm quite glad we didn't hear.

Doug Dickson was in the RAF for many years. I imagine carrying a few heavy bags of kit is somewhat par for the course when you've done military service. I quite like the tradition of the players having their kit carried on for the final. I think it's a nice way of setting the final apart from all the other matches. I do think it's a specifically Wimbledon thing though. If they did it at the other slams it wouldn't look right.

I'm sure the women have had their bags carried every other year. Maybe Marion and Sabine chose to carry their own.

Going back to the men's, it must be weird to walk on to the court without carrying your kit. They must be so used to having to carry it, when they are without it it must be hard to know what to do with your hands.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16397 on: July 18, 2013, 03:48 PM »

That was a lovely moment. They caught it on the TV as well. I wondered whether they exchanged a few words, but I'm quite glad we didn't hear.

Doug Dickson was in the RAF for many years. I imagine carrying a few heavy bags of kit is somewhat par for the course when you've done military service. I quite like the tradition of the players having their kit carried on for the final. I think it's a nice way of setting the final apart from all the other matches. I do think it's a specifically Wimbledon thing though. If they did it at the other slams it wouldn't look right.

I'm sure the women have had their bags carried every other year. Maybe Marion and Sabine chose to carry their own.

Going back to the men's, it must be weird to walk on to the court without carrying your kit. They must be so used to having to carry it, when they are without it it must be hard to know what to do with your hands.
  I'm sure he was happy, even honoured to do it, but I still can't shake off the feeling that it's hugely patronising to have an old guy in a suit and tie lugging heavy kit on a hot day. and don't get me started on loading the women up with bouquets!  At least the bowing and curtseying appears to have stopped - or is that just because there were no senior Royals present? That's it - rant over!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16398 on: July 18, 2013, 04:20 PM »

I'm sure he was happy, even honoured to do it, but I still can't shake off the feeling that it's hugely patronising to have an old guy in a suit and tie lugging heavy kit on a hot day. and don't get me started on loading the women up with bouquets!  At least the bowing and curtseying appears to have stopped - or is that just because there were no senior Royals present? That's it - rant over!!

The bowing and curtseying stopped a good few years ago, at the direct request of the Duke of Kent. It's my understanding that he realised some of the players used to worry more about getting that right than their matches, so he got rid of it. The only time it happens now is when the Queen goes, and she doesn't go often.

I don't know, I just like certain Wimbledon traditions, the predominantly white thing, the players having their kit carried on for the final. As I said before, I don't think they would work at any other slam, but in my view they do for Wimbledon.

I did some checking on youtube of other ladies finals. In other years the women's kit has been carried on by ball kids, so I assume Marion and Sabine just chose to carry their own.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16399 on: July 18, 2013, 06:24 PM »

I hate seeing Andy being used as a political tool because it only denigrates everything he has achieved.  Fortunately I think he's got the nous to keep well away from them unless he has to out of politeness.  I'd love to know his private thoughts on the motley crew he met in the back garden of No.10!

Poor lad can't even have his holidays without people wanting to be photographed with him.  Mind you, if it had been me that had met Andy and Kim ... Whistle

Yeah ... I dont like it that politics uses sport as a tool to increase patriotism and sway neutrals. Its a fact tho.... and a sad one at that... not all of us were fooled by the BS that surrounded the olympics... as a gathering of devoted and talented athletes it is impressive ...but the politics?? like i said imo BS.

Still, I have no doubt Andy's mgmt team XIX are giving him the appropriate advice that represents his interests.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16400 on: July 18, 2013, 06:48 PM »

It did seem odd, and we all commented on it where I was watching. Still, it's a lovely hug Andy is giving him afterwards, and I'm sure it will be a great memory for Doug Dickson.

I was also a bit surprised that at the women's final, the players (carrying their own kit), were then handed a huge bouquet of flowers to carry on to court as well, which they then weren't sure what to do with. I thought they had enough to think about already!

Its all kinda snooty and sexist , imo....altho they forgot their vaccum and multi surface cleaner.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16401 on: July 18, 2013, 11:02 PM »

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16402 on: July 18, 2013, 11:16 PM »

Its all kinda snooty and sexist , imo....altho they forgot their vaccum and multi surface cleaner.
Are you Ian Beale?  A small tip.  Most women like flowers.  Most women would be mightily offended if attempted to pass off cleaning items as a gift. 

I think the flowers (and good luck messages) are nice.  It's just a shame the men don't get them too! lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16403 on: July 19, 2013, 02:16 AM »

I'm very glad that no more pics of Andy and Kim have appeared in the British press, which tends to confirm my view that an agreement was reached with certain newspapers that it would be OK to take these earlier beach shots on the understanding that they were left in peace for the rest of their holiday.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16404 on: July 19, 2013, 02:48 AM »

Are you Ian Beale?  A small tip.  Most women like flowers.  Most women would be mightily offended if attempted to pass off cleaning items as a gift. 

I think the flowers (and good luck messages) are nice.  It's just a shame the men don't get them too! lol

Who is Ian Beale? ... bummer about the cleaning items ...what about a book on driving?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16405 on: July 19, 2013, 03:02 AM »

I'd never heard of him either, but it seems he's a fictional character in the BBC's soap opera Eastenders and has been in the series since it started in 1985, at which time he was only 15.  He currently owns a restaurant, having had a lifelong ambition to become a chef against his father's wishes.  He's also described as being a character viewers love to hate.  Just what his significance in Sparkle's post is I wouldn't know.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16406 on: July 19, 2013, 03:25 AM »

I'd never heard of him either, but it seems he's a fictional character in the BBC's soap opera Eastenders and has been in the series since it started in 1985, at which time he was only 15.  He currently owns a restaurant, having had a lifelong ambition to become a chef against his father's wishes.  He's also described as being a character viewers love to hate.  Just what his significance in Sparkle's post is I wouldn't know.

Ian Beale is the archetypical male chauvinist pig, clueless with women and has no idea about buying gifts, he probably would buy a hoover as an engagement present and see absolutely nothing wrong in it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16407 on: July 19, 2013, 03:40 AM »

Ian Beale is the archetypical male chauvinist pig, clueless with women and has no idea about buying gifts, he probably would buy a hoover as an engagement present and see absolutely nothing wrong in it.
Thanks for the explanation, Gnome.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16408 on: July 19, 2013, 09:00 AM »

I'd never heard of him either, but it seems he's a fictional character in the BBC's soap opera Eastenders and has been in the series since it started in 1985, at which time he was only 15.  He currently owns a restaurant, having had a lifelong ambition to become a chef against his father's wishes.  He's also described as being a character viewers love to hate.  Just what his significance in Sparkle's post is I wouldn't know.
It's OK, a little patience and I would have explained! lol

He is the character who would buy his wife "labour saving devices" for their anniversary instead of chocolates or flowers.  I wouldn't have described him as chauvinistic - he's more than happy to get stuck in with the cooking and cleaning himself.  Despite many reminders, he couldn't grasp the fact that his many wives would like to be pampered on a special occasion, not given something "useful".
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #16409 on: July 19, 2013, 03:03 PM »

Very Happy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 1093 [1094] 1095 1096 1097 ... 1352 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »