Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray Pictures 1 Member and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 1208 1209 1210 [1211] 1212 1213 1214 ... 1347 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray Pictures

(Read 801519 times)
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18150 on: February 04, 2014, 06:11 PM »

Fiverings, male tennis players in general are much taller than those of Laver's era, although why this is so I don't know, although I understand that men and women in general are taller than they were forty or so years ago, and, in case you haven't noticed, there is indeed a considerable number of tall, and worryingly thin, young ladies around!
  I know, better nutrition, doped meat etc etc. but it is an interesting trend this marked divergence between  tall & thin and  obese young people.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18151 on: February 04, 2014, 06:30 PM »

I know better nutrition, doped meat etc etc. but it is an interesting trend this marked divergence between  tall & thin and  obese young people.
It's the growing number of obese children that bothers a lot of people, although I don't think the cause is hard to find - too many sweets things, including fizzy drinks, too much snacking on crisps and similar tit-bits - all of which are practically leaping off supermarket shelves into their parents' shopping trollies - spending hours glued to the TV or, more likely, their computers, so very little exercise to work the flab off.  When I was at school sport and PE was part of the curriculum, but much of that has gone out the window because it seems we mustn't have the little dears psychologically scarred for life because they lose a game or a race; and running around or skipping, etc, in the playground isn't a good idea either in case they pick up a bruise or a grazed knee or two.  In fact I believe that the use of skipping ropes is banned by many schools.  Welcome to the obese wimps of the future!!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18152 on: February 04, 2014, 06:57 PM »

Well I have caused a furore by daring to bring out the climbing equipment! Arms raised and mouths aghast and warnings aplenty on the dangers of allowing children to climb, jump and heaven forbid- do forward rolls! All in the staff room . Needless to say I have acquired God status amonngst my pupils for being the teacher who brought out the fun stuff. And I have also used skipping ropes (boys are hilarious!) tennis racquets, badminton raccquets - and the good old Scottish country dancing cd. Hockey sticks and more tennis loom in the near future.

Needless to say I am one of our oldest teachers (tho not that old!!!)  ... so what hope for the future? Fortunately my boss was happy to back my use of the equipment.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18153 on: February 04, 2014, 07:01 PM »

Apologies if this has already been posted, but there's quite a lot of pages to check and I'm in a rush, and I don't think anyone will mind seeing it twice! wub

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18154 on: February 04, 2014, 07:11 PM »

Well I have caused a furore by daring to bring out the climbing equipment! Arms raised and mouths aghast and warnings aplenty on the dangers of allowing children to climb, jump and heaven forbid- do forward rolls! All in the staff room . Needless to say I have acquired God status amonngst my pupils for being the teacher who brought out the fun stuff. And I have also used skipping ropes (boys are hilarious!) tennis racquets, badminton raccquets - and the good old Scottish country dancing cd. Hockey sticks and more tennis loom in the near future.

Needless to say I am one of our oldest teachers (tho not that old!!!)  ... so what hope for the future? Fortunately my boss was happy to back my use of the equipment.
Good for you Westie - and I'm very pleased indeed that your pupils actually enjoy all this.  Of course it should all be fun!

Confession - I hated PE because it always involved trying to leap over a tall stuffed leather object on wooden legs known as a 'horse'.  Danger to life and limb as far as I was concerned, and in fact two girls suffered fractured wrists (fortunately not serious) doing it, but that was merely considered to be par for the course and so there wasn't so much as a squeak of protest from anyone, including their parents.  Can you imagine the furore if that happened today?!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18155 on: February 04, 2014, 07:11 PM »

Good for you Westie - I hope some of your colleagues take your lead.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18156 on: February 04, 2014, 07:18 PM »

We do have a 'horse' - though a modern version , caused much hilarity when the jannie passed and told me he'd fetched it out of the cupboard under the school. Children all asked what a horse was. Well obviously a four legged animal with a tail was my response. Anyway, they aren't allowed to roll on (or off) it unless I'm beside supporting them. And I too had a fear as a child of being forced to do things I felt I couldn't without hurting myself - so I don't insist anyone does anything they clearly aren't keen to do.  But they love all types of PE (most of them) they'd do it all day if they could.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18157 on: February 04, 2014, 07:32 PM »

We do have a 'horse' - though a modern version , caused much hilarity when the jannie passed and told me he'd fetched it out of the cupboard under the school. Children all asked what a horse was. Well obviously a four legged animal with a tail was my response. Anyway, they aren't allowed to roll on (or off) it unless I'm beside supporting them. And I too had a fear as a child of being forced to do things I felt I couldn't without hurting myself - so I don't insist anyone does anything they clearly aren't keen to do.  But they love all types of PE (most of them) they'd do it all day if they could.
Well I'm glad you agree that the 'horse' can be a little dangerous.  Our PE teacher never offered any assistance, and a lot of the pupils actually enjoyed it, which is fair enough, but wee fearties like me just used to run up to it and go through the motions of getting on to it without managing to do so, thereby incurring the teacher's disgust, although in the end I think she just gave up on me!  Interestingly the two girls who did suffer injury didn't want to do it, and were a bit clumsy anyway, but did their best just to please 'teach'. Rolling Eyes  I certainly do think that forcing children to do something they're afraid of doing is unfair and counter-prodcutive, so I'm glad that you have that flexibility based on your own experience.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 04, 2014, 07:36 PM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18158 on: February 04, 2014, 07:37 PM »

I remember the climbing ropes at High School - and the misguided idea that a belt on the bum with a gym shoe was sufficient incentive to get you up to the ceiling. It was done in good part but would get a PE teacher the sack nowadays!!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18159 on: February 04, 2014, 07:41 PM »

I feel children are pretty good at knowing their own limits. If they have a fear of rolling, tumbling etc then they are never going to do it outwith my gym class - so why force them into it, it's hardly giving them a life skill. It's nice to help the ones who think they'd like to have a go and are so proud of themselves afterwards. And of course , reining in the daredevils!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18160 on: February 04, 2014, 07:52 PM »

I remember the climbing ropes at High School - and the misguided idea that a belt on the bum with a gym shoe was sufficient incentive to get you up to the ceiling. It was done in good part but would get a PE teacher the sack nowadays!!
Not to mention that, if a child suffered even a fairly minor injury, the parents might well take, or threaten to take, legal action against the school in question and put in a claim for damages.  Well we all know that the Great God Money heals just about everything these days!

Mind you, I once worked for the solicitor to the NAS/UWT and you wouldn't believe some of the trifling injuries for which teachers tried to claim damages.  Example - the teacher who suffered a superficial one inch cut to her leg when she bumped into a metal stepladder while walking along a corridor, for which she claimed damages of £200 (probably around £500 today).  Not surprisingly the case was thrown out of court because the judge ruled that the onus was really on her to look where she was going and that the ladder in question was clearly visible.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18161 on: February 06, 2014, 02:52 PM »

It's the growing number of obese children that bothers a lot of people, although I don't think the cause is hard to find - too many sweets things, including fizzy drinks, too much snacking on crisps and similar tit-bits - all of which are practically leaping off supermarket shelves into their parents' shopping trollies - spending hours glued to the TV or, more likely, their computers, so very little exercise to work the flab off.  When I was at school sport and PE was part of the curriculum, but much of that has gone out the window because it seems we mustn't have the little dears psychologically scarred for life because they lose a game or a race; and running around or skipping, etc, in the playground isn't a good idea either in case they pick up a bruise or a grazed knee or two.  In fact I believe that the use of skipping ropes is banned by many schools.  Welcome to the obese wimps of the future!!
I loved reading this, the accent and the names of things in the UK is delightful.  It is very true, no more PE, no dodge ball, no jump rope, just video games which give muscular fingers and fat bodies.  They've taken away all the fun.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18162 on: February 06, 2014, 03:44 PM »

I loved reading this, the accent and the names of things in the UK is delightful.  It is very true, no more PE, no dodge ball, no jump rope, just video games which give muscular fingers and fat bodies.  They've taken away all the fun.
What's even more worrying is that these kids are tomorrow's parents, provided they have the energy to propagate. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18163 on: February 06, 2014, 04:10 PM »

Wayyyyy  offtopic for wayyyy too long
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #18164 on: February 06, 2014, 05:17 PM »

Wayyyyy  offtopic for wayyyy too long
OK guys, get back on topic or Andy might batter you!  w00t