Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday, Time - TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray Pictures 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 947 948 949 [950] 951 952 953 ... 1331 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray Pictures

(Read 775088 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14235 on: February 28, 2013, 07:34 PM »

Definitely an enhanced picture. He'd really suit a tan though.

Source: I Love Andy Murrayā€¸@Iloveandymurray
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14236 on: February 28, 2013, 07:54 PM »

Sun?  What sun?  I've forgotten what that is. lol

That photo has definitely been photoshopped because I have never seen Andy with anything other than a light sun-tan.  He's got what we Scots call a pealy wally skin (i.e. he's fair skinned) so probably has to use a lot of sun screen otherwise his skin would just burn and turn red.
Sun?  What sun?  I've forgotten what that is. lol

That photo has definitely been photoshopped because I have never seen Andy with anything other than a light sun-tan.  He's got what we Scots call a pealy wally skin (i.e. he's fair skinned) so probably has to use a lot of sun screen otherwise his skin would just burn and turn red.
  I know you're particular about spelling Aileen, so I'll assume peely-wally was just a slip of the keypad!  Also I've been around Edinburgh quite a bit over the past couple of months and I can't remember a sunnier winter. The tramworks are even ahead of schedule, for goodness sake!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14237 on: February 28, 2013, 08:06 PM »

I know you're particular about spelling Aileen, so I'll assume peely-wally was just a slip of the keypad!  Also I've been around Edinburgh quite a bit over the past couple of months and I can't remember a sunnier winter. The tramworks are even ahead of schedule, for goodness sake!
Peely-wally ... peelie-wally ... both are correct, although the latter spelling is probably more common in Scots - http://www.caledonianmercury.com/2010/07/13/useful-scots-word-peelie-wally/009223

I'm not going to argue about the weather but I can assure you that most of what we've had here all winter had been dull and wet.  Maybe you were just lucky and got the occasion sunny spells?

And don't get me started on the tramworks ... grr  Yes I know they're ahead of their latest schedule.  Just a pity that that didn't happen first time round.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14238 on: February 28, 2013, 08:48 PM »

Peely-wally ... peelie-wally ... both are correct, although the latter spelling is probably more common in Scots - http://www.caledonianmercury.com/2010/07/13/useful-scots-word-peelie-wally/009223

I'm not going to argue about the weather but I can assure you that most of what we've had here all winter had been dull and wet.  Maybe you were just lucky and got the occasion sunny spells?

And don't get me started on the tramworks ... grr  Yes I know they're ahead of their latest schedule.  Just a pity that that didn't happen first time round.
  I actually think the trams are fantastic - setting aside all the contractual difficulties and the traffic disruption, and how could you avoid that with a major transport project in a city - I think they are a great investment for the future. I often wish people would look at the bigger picture.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14239 on: February 28, 2013, 09:33 PM »

I actually think the trams are fantastic - setting aside all the contractual difficulties and the traffic disruption, and how could you avoid that with a major transport project in a city - I think they are a great investment for the future. I often wish people would look at the bigger picture.
But I do, Fiverings, and I still see the project as a complete waste of money, especially as that money could have been spent on upgrading the city's streets generally.  Go any distance from the city centre and the streets and pavements are a mess - potholes, broken kerbs, and uneven paving slabs are the norm.  I'm less than a mile out and have nearly come a cropper on a few occasions whilst walking around.

It mightn't have been quite so bad if the original project, including the Granton loop, had been carried out successfully and on schedule, and then it could have been rolled out across the city over a number of years.  Now it's stopping at St Andrew Square with apparently no immediate prospect of it being continued even to Ocean Terminal, so where's the sense in that?
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14240 on: February 28, 2013, 11:17 PM »

I think the whole project will develop, come time. And the issue of potholes and road maintenance, which is a a serious one across the whole country, is frankly a red herring, and nothing to do with transport infrastructure spending in the short term. We must build for a future that reduces vehicle pressure on our roads. Am I not right in thinking that Edinburgh rejected a London=style congestion charge beforen the trams were proposed? People really can't expect to have their cake and eat it. I think this has been a brave move by the city, of course there are losers and people are upset - but in the end Scotland will have a capital city which continues to match the best in Europe.  Sorry for the rant, but I think the tram project will be seen in time to be a great asset to the city.

PS The last time I looked the tramlines were running north of St Andrew Square and down towards Leith Walk, so there is definitely a commitment there!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14241 on: March 01, 2013, 01:51 AM »

I think the whole project will develop, come time. And the issue of potholes and road maintenance, which is a a serious one across the whole country, is frankly a red herring, and nothing to do with transport infrastructure spending in the short term. We must build for a future that reduces vehicle pressure on our roads. Am I not right in thinking that Edinburgh rejected a London=style congestion charge beforen the trams were proposed? People really can't expect to have their cake and eat it. I think this has been a brave move by the city, of course there are losers and people are upset - but in the end Scotland will have a capital city which continues to match the best in Europe.  Sorry for the rant, but I think the tram project will be seen in time to be a great asset to the city.

PS The last time I looked the tramlines were running north of St Andrew Square and down towards Leith Walk, so there is definitely a commitment there!
I do take your point about the trams, and yes you're right about the congestion charge, but I think it's going to take an awful lot for most of the locals to be convinced now that a tram system is the way forward for the city, given the total shambles and escalating costs which have accompanied this project until now.

What about Princes Street having to be closed twice for 10 months so's it could be dug up again and the surface properly relaid thanks to the contractors doing a poor job on it the first time?  And all those little shops down Leith Walk which went out of business because they lost custom whilst the entire length of the Walk was being dug up for what turned out to be a useless exercise and for which I understand that they got not one penny in compensation?  Not exactly confidence inspiring!

Also the lines may be running towards Leith Walk but that's because the planned terminus will be in York Place and not St Andrew Square as I erroneously said in my earlier post.  In fact I've just checked the Council's website and there are no current plans to extend the system beyond that point - http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20237/local_tram_updates

The bottom line here is that there simply isn't the money to do so, and the SNP government have made it plain that there won't be any more forthcoming either because the SNP were against the scheme in the first place, but as they were then in opposition they could do nothing to stop it, and were only a minority government when the 'point of no return' was reached, i.e. when Parliament had to decide which was going to be the least costly - continuing with the project as far as was possible (which was originally Waverley but which later got changed to York Place for reasons of practicality), or to let it drop completely.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14242 on: March 01, 2013, 09:10 AM »

Thanks for that, Aileen. I have no wish to bore others with an irrelevant tho' interesting topic here.  I know mistakes have been made, very unfortunate, but probably inevitable on a scheme of this magnitude. The difference here is of course that they are not easy to hide and impact very directly on people. Not like IT infrastructure cock-ups, or rail franchises, or even bank collapses. And theses are just the ones we know about!  As to the politics - well thats politics. as you imply. I'm sure if the scheme works, and other infrastructure pressure mounts, money will be found. Anyway - enough on this. I'll shut up now.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14243 on: March 01, 2013, 10:26 AM »

Enjoyed reading your posts Fiverings and Aileen! Very Happy
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14244 on: March 01, 2013, 12:24 PM »

Thanks.  Good to know it's of wider interest! Smile
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14245 on: March 01, 2013, 12:40 PM »

I think the weather is changing for the better thank God. I has been nice and Sunny for the past few days.  Not long back had the pup out for a nice long walk I must admit to being a bit lazy of late. I used to walk everywhere when I was a carer but since retiring it is easier to jump in the car. So I have vowed that I will take the pup a long walk every day she is sleeping now she's popped. Ill now get the rest of the housework done before the tennis starts at 1pm.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14246 on: March 01, 2013, 01:18 PM »

From Facebook
On go the new BOOST trainers, thank you adidas

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14247 on: March 01, 2013, 06:49 PM »

re the yellow: Adidas seems to choose a colour each year (last year it was orange) and all their players have to have at least a dash of it in their kit. So it's not Andy's choice. Andy never seems to end up with the smartest of the Adidas kits but I guess that may be because he just doesn't care about these things, which I find quite endearing.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14248 on: March 01, 2013, 07:36 PM »

wub

Photograph: Glyn Kirk/AFP/Getty Images
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Pictures « Reply #14249 on: March 01, 2013, 09:15 PM »

Thanks Chris.  I'd forgotten what thread we were on doh so I'm glad to see we're now back on topic. Smile

From Facebook
On go the new BOOST trainers, thank you adidas

I sincerely hope these ones don't give him blisters.  I'm quite sure Andy would have had something to say to Adidas after the AO.

wub

Photograph: Glyn Kirk/AFP/Getty Images
Awesome...!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 947 948 949 [950] 951 952 953 ... 1331 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »