Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014

(Read 970 times)
eeyorebob
Challenger Level

"I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « on: July 03, 2014, 06:40 AM »

Right! to cheer myself up (and others) I've started this thread

I'm going to list the positives to take from this Wimbledon

1) Andy is still champion for a few more days
2) He got further this year than the 2012 champ did in 2013
3) He got further than Nadal
4) He got beaten by a seeded player (unlike Nadal)

Feel free to add more
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:02 AM »

How are any of those positive? "Didn't suck quite as much as Nadal" is really scraping the barrel.
IP Logged
eeyorebob
Challenger Level

"I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:13 AM »

I feel they are positive - Nadal is number one in the world, and got knocked out by a wild card. I'm not getting into arguments, I'm looking for positivies there are a few, I'll find more i'm determined to do so. 
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:31 AM »

I'm not sure there are a lot of positives to take from his actual performance which was error laden, flat and as Andy-unlike as possible and we will never know what caused that as he will never detract from his opponents victory by saying he was unwell, received bad news etc.  I see some of the papers are trying to make something out of Kim leaving "looking visibly upset" and in a separate car??  Can't see it being that but you never know.  The one kind if positive is that he's had bad defeats before and come back stronger - everything crossed this can happen again and he can find his way out of this - he has not become a bad player overnight.
I can't really stress this enough but having a partner who has been through three sets of back issues - broken back, spinal fusion surgery and further surgery to shave bones in his spine, I can tell you that the mental recovery from the surgery took far longer than the physical one.  He had to work hard to have confidence in his own body again.  He had to re-adjust from areas that were painful which were compensating for the back pain, learn to use his body properly again - it was a very complicated process which took 12-18 months.  Now this is a normal bloke with a normal job!!  Not a global sports star that needs his body to perform every day.  Am pretty sure there is something in this for Andy - could be wrong though am no expert just someone that's witnessed first hand how difficult back surgery is.

Anyway everything crossed that Andy Murray comes back, bigger, better and stronger - he's just way too good not to.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 09:12 AM »

Nice idea for a thread.  Hopefully most people who can't find positives will be respectful enough not to spoil things.  Positives only, and if you can't think of anything.  Keep quiet.  If it ends up a short thread, so be it. Very Happy

I've got to be honest, I had a big fear that Andy would do a Hewitt, and how everyone would react to that.  Fortunately, he had a great opening match, which I hope will be a wonderful memory for him, same as it was for us.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 09:46 AM »

There are very few positives to take from Wimbledon.        He played really well in the first week against lower ranked opposition.   This year however he has proven the pressure  has gotten too much for him when he has played top quallty opponents in the latter stages of tournaments.  He doesn't know how to play against them.    Other players have noticed this and aren't scared or intimidated by Andy anymore.   He is now ranked at number 10 with a few players just about to overtake him.

He is lacking so much belief and confidence in his game just now.  Probabaly the back surgery is to blame but who knows. Yesterday was evident of that.  Its quite sad actually.  Feel sorry for the Lad.    He needs a coach that can find the right balance in his game.     Mentally he looks unsure and doesn't know whether to be aggressive or go back into full defensive mode.          
Lendl got Murray out of his comfort zone , he encouraged Murray to go for his shots, he positively changed Andy's attitude towards his game.     Murray has now fully crawled back into his shell.  It will be extremely tough for Murray and whoever is coaching him to change his attitude and bring back his motivation which has troubled him the last 6 months.  I think he can improve and get back to his best but it will be tough for him.  

Murray says he needs to keep improving and get in better shape.     How many times have we heard that after he has had a tough loss ?   I think that Murray is just mentally spent. 
[ Last edit by backhandslice July 03, 2014, 10:01 AM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 10:02 AM »

To be honest I don't think we should really look at negatives for other people being positive for Andy. I have to be honest and say I couldn't really care less about Nadal and the competition that he appears to be having with himself over what the lowest ranking the person who beats him could possibly have. Nadal can no longer play at his best on the grass, period. Andy can, and will again.

I think there are a number of positives to take from the tournament.

Up until yesterday Andy looked fit and well. There was no sign of pain or discomfort from the back.

He was striking the ball with real conviction until yesterday. I always think the sound when Andy strikes the ball is totally different to any of the others. He is such an incredibly clean hitter, and you can hear it. I always think a good strike from Andy sounds like a cross between a champagne cork popping and someone biting into a crunchy apple.

Andy served well through the tournament, regularly reaching the high 60s in his FSP, and higher still in some matches. Even yesterday the FSP was 61%, which isn't so bad. Up until yesterday Andy was winning a lot of the points behind the first serve as well.

Andy seemed at home in the tournament, totally at ease with the defending champion role. He embraced the experience and the crowd, and they embraced him right back.

Andy played some wonderful tennis in his first four matches. Forget the ranking of his opponents for a moment. Andy made Bautista-Agut look average, and he isn't. He made Anderson look like a club player with a bigger than normal serve, and that isn't the case either. Even in the first match Andy gave Goffin lessons in touch and shot-making, as well as endurance, and he gave Rola a tennis lesson I doubt he'll forget in any sort of hurry. I have no hesitation whatsoever in saying that until yesterday Andy was playing the best tennis in the tournament. The stats go some way to back that view up.

None of that answers what went wrong of course, but it does say that there are positives to take away from how Andy was playing until it all went horribly wrong.
IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 10:02 AM »

This is not so much a positive as a reason to not feel quite as fearful for the future.

Andy has not yet had the kind of motivational problems that hit Mcenroe, Borg, or Agassi. Borg walked away when only 25, By the time he attempted a comeback he just didn't have it anymore. Mac lost his motivation at 24 and though he came back he never won another slam. Agassi did come back from an incredible decline.

In the slams Andy has still been consistently performing at top eight level. At the FO he matched his best performance there. Takes  a truly excellent player to beat him. Whatever happens his record in the slams this year is going to be better than in 2009.

In any case it is easy to forget what a footnote this year's event will end up being. The very worst that can happen to Andy now is to be remembered as the guy who heroically won Wimbledon, had a back Op and then never quite hit the heights again.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 11:49 AM »

The positive is....he was there! ! That back problem  could have ended his career permanantly and we might never have seen him again Frown another positive is we hopefully have him and the pleasure of watching his play for the next 4 maybe 5 years. Winning slams or not I would still enjoy watching him giving it a right good go.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 02:33 PM »

The only positives are his 4 first matches. He was the best player, winning in straights and losing the least amount of games.

Did he peak too early? hard to say really, as i'm still convinced something was up yesterday and we probably will never know what. But i remain convinced that his sudden drop off from how he played in his first 4 matches compared to how he played against Dimitrov is inexplicable and cannot just be put down to bad day at the office. It makes no sense to me.

Things he should do in the future. Stop being so publicly chummy to other tennis players, this bromance between him and Dimitrov was bordering on embarrassing. I'm also not sure of the benefits of hitting with players, especially for Andy.

I might get stick for this, but i just don't think Mauresmo is the right fit for him and that view has nothing to do with how Wimbledon panned out, i thought it even before Queens. I just can't see the reasoning behind it, let's just say i remain unconvinced.

He needs to get serious again, stop resting on his laurels and start showing these youngsters coming through that he isn't the walkover they are starting to think he is, or in short, get his aura of invincibility back.

I think he has become complacent and he can hardly be blamed for that. He destroyed the best player in the world in straights, he probably thought his work was done and that when he came back from surgery he would just carry on where he left off. Clearly though, in the year now that has just passed things have changed and players he thought were below his level are now above him.

Get his self belief back somehow. I don't care if he vultures some shitty 250 event somewhere. he needs a trophy, he also needs a win against a top ten player. If he can somehow get a win somewhere against an elite player, it will do his confidence no end of good.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 12:02 AM »

How are any of those positive? "Didn't suck quite as much as Nadal" is really scraping the barrel.

Here's one positive. He'll forever be remembered as a Wimbledon champion and his place in tennis history is assured.

Can't say the same thing for you keyboard warrior.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 12:30 AM »

This is really the wrong thread but gotta love papers making a story out of kim leaving looking upset. Surely if she hadn't looked upset that might have been more of a story?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 12:35 AM »

I think the real main positive here is that Andy can still play 4 great matches and 1 bad one. Not 4 bad matches and 1 good one. 4 great matches is enough to win you a Masters title or an average 250 or 500, while 4 great matches and 1 bad one is enough to get you to the quarters of a Slam, which 120 people in the entire draw couldn't do. Being one of 8 people to reach a particular stage is quite a good achievement.

The other positive is that Andy has realised he hasn't improved since Wimbledon last year and is now going to work towards improving, with the intention of winning more Slams. After Wimbledon 2012, he did the same.
[ Last edit by Connor July 04, 2014, 12:46 AM ] IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 12:47 AM »

To be honest, the fact that he is at the stage of his career where a 1/4 final place in a slam is considered by him and people who support him a dissapointment, is something we can all look take positives from, especially for him.

Most tennis players would take his slam record this year in a heartbeat.

It not being good enough for him, just proves that he wants more.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 12:52 AM »

I'm accepting my ladies favourite is done, but to hell am I accepting Andy is done.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »