Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014

(Read 999 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 08:19 AM »

Once Andy actually takes an interest in the smaller events then we can only see an improvement from him.  What's the point in entering a tournament when you don't give 100 percent effort ?    There are a LOT of points to be won for Andy in the next couple of months.      He has played poorly throughout the year and unnesssarily lost a lot of points.       The next couple of months will tell us just how focused and determined Murray is. If he keeps playing the way he has throughout the year  he can kiss top ten goodbye. 
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 08:38 AM »

Once Andy actually takes an interest in the smaller events then we can only see an improvement from him.  What's the point in entering a tournament when you don't give 100 percent effort ?    There are a LOT of points to be won for Andy in the next couple of months.      He has played poorly throughout the year and unnesssarily lost a lot of points.       The next couple of months will tell us just how focused and determined Murray is. If he keeps playing the way he has throughout the year  he can kiss top ten goodbye. 
Sorry what you are saying is not acceptable, ANDY ALWAYS GIVE A 100%.
Also he has not played badly throughout the year, look at his results. He I know will make you retract your words, which I doubt you will do even when proven wrong going on your track record on MW.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 08:53 AM »

To be honest, the fact that he is at the stage of his career where a 1/4 final place in a slam is considered by him and people who support him a dissapointment, is something we can all look take positives from, especially for him.

Most tennis players would take his slam record this year in a heartbeat.

It not being good enough for him, just proves that he wants more.

I agree. I also think it's quite telling that when Andy was interviewed the day before the quarter final he was asked about the possibility of winning Wimbledon again, because he was playing so well. His immediate response was to say he was going to do everything he could to win again, but that if he didn't he would be straight back next year to have another go at it.

That is not someone who doesn't care and no longer wants it. I feel sure Andy must hate what has happened at Wimbledon more than anyone. I also think he'll hate his up and down form this year, even if he understands it better than anyone. I think he'll hate that drop in his ranking too. I think he'll do everything humanly possible to get it back. Apart from anything else, he's too competitive not to.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 10:53 AM »

Thanks for starting this non-eeyorish thread eeyore. 
First may I echo sparkle: it would be good if those with nothing positive to say stayed off it - you can always start a thread 'negatives to take from Wimbledon 2014' and, if it has more postings than this thread, so be it.
In addition to points already made about the first few matches  - and wasn't it great to see Andy hitting the ball so cleanly and without any trace of problems with his back - I would like to think that this Wimbledon might prove a watershed.  We have now come a full 12 months from the biggest win of his career and one which will always represent its pinnacle.  We know that led to understandable motivational problems going into the USO, aggravated by his back problems.  He then had the op, which meant he couldn't do his full usual pre-season training block , then lost his coach (and don't listen to Mac and Fleming who said 'he got rid of' Lendl; they were just stirring imho).  So it's not been an easy year.  But we've seen signs of the brilliant tennis he can play.  I'm just hoping this horrible loss will represent a line drawn under the year and he can in effect start again.
The way he's talking suggests he might be seeing it like that. And we know that Andy is better as hunter rather than hunted.  So I really don't see him being content with remaining at around 10th or even lower in the rankings (echoing tj here).  And we have also seen him appearing to enjoy his tennis much more (no doubt in part at least because of not constant back pain or niggles) apart of course from this last match.  So that has to be a positive too. 
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 02:15 PM »

It's been a turbulent year for Andy as everyone knows, people just assume after winning the Wimbledon title it would be plain sailing and Andy would just turn up and collect the slam trophies. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work out like that.

I try and not use Fed as an example but you have to admire Federer's drive to target more titles despite his age. Andy is only 27 so there is still plenty of time left as echoed by Johnny Mac and Connors.

The difference now is that the young guns are now catching up with experience and much like Rafa, Novak and Andy did with Roger, the young guys are doing the same to the established Big 4.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 02:16 PM »

I'm accepting my ladies favourite is done, but to hell am I accepting Andy is done.

Nice post.

Personally I think Serena is not quite done too.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 04:32 PM »

Ok I'll try:

One year after the last time Federer won Wimbledon he reached only the third round, Andy the quarters....(serious; the press didn't make so many fuss about that loss at that time...and asking the question "why"?).
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 04:57 PM »

Ok I'll try:

One year after the last time Federer won Wimbledon he reached only the third round, Andy the quarters....(serious; the press didn't make so many fuss about that loss at that time...and asking the question "why"?).

The press didn't make this fuss about Fed's form all last year to be honest. I mean, Fed lost to Benneteau in Rotterdam, playing so badly it was actually quite entertaining.

Andy's just in a position of having a home major, one no British man had won for years until he did it, so he gets all that press attention regardless of which way it goes. It's a pressure that Fed, Nadal and Djokovic will never have to relate to.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 05:59 PM »

Still love ya Andy  wub

Even though you ****** up my entire weekend!! Had semis and finals parties arranged......strawberries and pimms all waiting Very Happy
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 06:37 PM »

The strawberries looked good!...thats a positive
IP Logged
33jsmith
Junior

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 06:42 PM »

Still love ya Andy  wub

Even though you ****** up my entire weekend!! Had semis and finals parties arranged......strawberries and pimms all waiting Very Happy
  One thing I have learned in life never ever plan your weekend around Andys results.
IP Logged
eeyorebob
Challenger Level

"I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

Re: Positives to take from Wimbledon 2014 « Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 08:26 PM »

Thank you others for adding in the positives
We've had a lot of Brits hit the QF's in other areas of Wimbly - mixed doubles we had 2 pairs (well one and a half lol) girls and boys juniors we got to the QF's too

IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »