Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed

(Read 3665 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #105 on: December 31, 2013, 12:39 PM »

What a dull match. I felt sorry for Zayed - such a mismatch.

It's a mistake Qatar giving such a low-ranked player a WC into the main draw - into the qualies would be understandable, but not the main draw.
yes And as much as I'm a fan of Andy, I didn't enjoy watching that at all. Quite uncomfortable, actually.
I agree with you both and I'm sure Andy got no pleasure from beating him either.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #106 on: December 31, 2013, 12:41 PM »

I agree with you both and I'm sure Andy got no pleasure from beating him either.
Yeah he did, he fist pumped after he won
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #107 on: December 31, 2013, 12:42 PM »

I don't feel sorry for Zayed.  He will very rarely get the chance to be on court with a very top player and so it's hardly surprising he couldn't cope with Andy's shot-making.  It will still have been an experience for him and I hope he'll remember whatever positives he can from it rather than dwell on the negatives.

I suspect the fist pump was not because he was pleased to double bagel his opponent but because it looked like his back was holding up really well and as Frew M said he was hitting the ball hard at times.  Also good first serve percentage.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #108 on: December 31, 2013, 12:46 PM »

I wonder what the match report will consist of. Hopefully more colour than that match.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #109 on: December 31, 2013, 12:51 PM »

I wonder what the match report will consist of. Hopefully more colour than that match.
You're going to be disappointed then.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #110 on: December 31, 2013, 01:08 PM »

Yeah he did, he fist pumped after he won
I suspect he was just glad that his back still seems to be doing OK and that he'd got another competitive game under his belt.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #111 on: December 31, 2013, 01:15 PM »

I suspect he was just glad that his back still seems to be doing OK and that he'd got another competitive game under his belt.
Yes Aileen.....It was a nice wee bit of gentle excercise!  w00t Zaheb couldn't hit an elephant wi' a double decker bus.....giant raquet or not! I wonder if he got that out of Fed's bin!  Think Nah just kiddin'.....I felt a bit sorry for the guy really!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #112 on: December 31, 2013, 01:24 PM »

Am I the only one who was still stressed by the match before it started?

I agree it wasn't nice to watch somebody playing with no chance. It reminded me of my cat playing with a mouse. Equally the chap knew he didn't have a chance, and still chose to play.

I am not sure whether it was better to have a really easy match to help play himself in, or be a bit tested early. I can't quite decide. Let's not forget he managed to beat Warwrinka in only his second match back.

I think the important thing is we would have expected a normal Murray to wipe the floor with a player of that low a ranking, and our recovering champ did it.  He is on the way back.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #113 on: December 31, 2013, 01:26 PM »

I don't feel sorry for Zayed.  He will very rarely get the chance to be on court with a very top player and so it's hardly surprising he couldn't cope with Andy's shot-making.  It will still have been an experience for him and I hope he'll remember whatever positives he can from it rather than dwell on the negatives.
I certainly thought Andy treated him quite kindly.  As Frew said he could easily have made the lad's life even more difficult by simply toying with him.  Also perhaps some of Andy's UEs could have been down to the fact that could have been trying out one or two things.

Anyway Zayed is only 19 so I'm sure he won't be too down-hearted, and I noticed that one of the local kids asked for his autograph, which was nice to see.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #114 on: December 31, 2013, 01:39 PM »

Yes Andy won without any problems from Zayed. This was a stroll for Andy but he took the game seriously which was the correct decision. Zayed was well beaten but still tried and that is what matters, perhaps he will learn something from the match. Well done Andy as previous posters have said Zayed is young only 19 he will remember playing against Andy and perhaps learn from today's game.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #115 on: December 31, 2013, 01:41 PM »

Yes....I don't think Zaheb will be all that bothered. He wouldn't have expected to win and he might even be chuffed to have got the chance to play a world class player like Andy!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #116 on: December 31, 2013, 01:48 PM »

Steph Trudel ‏@TrudelSteph
Andy Murray d. Mousa Zayed in 37 minutes. This is Murray's fastest ever completed match on the pro tour (2005 d. Ventura in 44 minutes)
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #117 on: December 31, 2013, 02:33 PM »

Well done Andy!  I would have been easy for Andy to get bored and not stay focused, which so often happens in these kind of matches.  From everyone's posts, glad I did not get up in the middle of the night to watch.

When does Andy play doubles again??
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #118 on: December 31, 2013, 02:42 PM »

It was a total mismatch today, but it was the sort of mismatch I was happy with, considering it was Andy's first competitive (and I use that term in the loosest sense) match back. I suppose some will argue it might have been hard to judge Andy's form, because he just had far too much for Zayed, which could be an issue later on, but I'm quite happy to cross that bridge when we come to it.

On balance I think Andy looks in fine nick. He seemed to be moving pretty well, and he was striking the ball beautifully. He was going for a lot of his shots, which has to be a good indication of where his back is. It was interesting to see Andy on the base-line a fair bit, taking it to the opponent. That has to be a good sign.

I think Frew made a good point about the way Andy played Zayed today. Andy took him seriously, didn't muck about, didn't toy with him, but more importantly, at least I think, he didn't keep himself out there any longer than he needed to. That might help later.

I didn't feel sorry for Zayed. He would know there are players out there much better than him. I very much doubt he really thought he could win today, but all the same he's had the experience of playing one of the very best in the game. That can't be bad. If he's got his head screwed on properly he will learn from today. He might never be the player Andy is, very few are, but he may well see from today what he can improve to push himself forward.

I think it's hard to know whether Zayed's wildcard was worth it. If he'd come up against someone he was better matched to he might have had a much better chance. I suppose it's no one's fault that he was hopelessly outclassed. Meanwhile, Andy's back  yay yay yay yay yay.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R1: Murray vs Zayed « Reply #119 on: December 31, 2013, 03:11 PM »

Yes....I don't think Zaheb will be all that bothered. He wouldn't have expected to win and he might even be chuffed to have got the chance to play a world class player like Andy!
 Well said Caz.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »