Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer

(Read 6372 times)
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #375 on: January 02, 2014, 10:09 AM »

When in the match did he have the trainer out.  I saw most of the match and did not see that.  It seems to have taken a long time before any one mentioned this.  No reports that I have seen mentioned it.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #376 on: January 02, 2014, 10:11 AM »

Not sure if you guys know of this yet...the Auckland open director has offered Andy to join Ferrer -- the current holder -- as a wildcard at the open on Monday.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/news/spten/1054306995-tennis--andy-murray-offered-auckland-wildcard

Sydney also offered him a wildcard, but Neil Harman thinks he'll opt to play a match at Kooyong instead:

Neil Harman ‏@NeilHarmanTimes 14h
Looks like Andy Murray will ask for one match at Kooyong exo next week. Sydney very very unlikely.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #377 on: January 02, 2014, 10:17 AM »

I have only read something about ice on his back.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #378 on: January 02, 2014, 10:27 AM »

Sydney is an incredibly weak field in retrospect. He should play there.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #379 on: January 02, 2014, 10:37 AM »

I saw the trainer on but Andy did not have any treatment but he did get an ice pack. He sat down an put it on his back but that was the only time I saw this during the match.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #380 on: January 02, 2014, 11:27 AM »

Sydney is an incredibly weak field in retrospect. He should play there.

Reports saying that he isn't playing Sydney.  Guess he will go into yet another slam with little match practice
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #381 on: January 02, 2014, 11:38 AM »

Found this Independent report reassuring insofar as Andy himself is taking the positives and says he just felt generally sore and stiff rather than there being a specific injury or niggle.  He acknowledges how he slowed down in 2nd set.  It also says he'll play an exhibition  (rather than enter as a wild card in a tournament) though I guess he still has time to change his mind. 
I think we have to accept that he's unlikely to make much headway in AO this year so let's just give thanks he is back on track at least for what should be a full recovery and hope that he can make up lost ranking points etc later in the year.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/qatar-open-defeated-andy-murray-short-of-practice-ahead-of-australian-open-9032961.html
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #382 on: January 02, 2014, 11:42 AM »

Well, according to earlier comments he was meeting up with Lendl at Melbourne for the week before AO. If he can also fit in an exho match at Kooyong - then maybe this would be best for his rehab right now.

Yes it was disappointing v Mayer - but it served to create more realistic expectations in these early comeback days - and I have great faith in his decisions.

EDIT Just read the interesting article mentioned above. Thanks for the link, ruthie
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #383 on: January 02, 2014, 12:30 PM »

Don't really see how anyone expects him to be match fit right now.  AO will be a challenge, and a good one.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #384 on: January 02, 2014, 12:57 PM »

I think R16 at AO may be as far as Andy will go.  Surely the slog of getting through successive 3-5 set matches will be too much too soon if he can't last 2 full sets against Mayer.  Think we all have to expect that he'll drop to No.5 ranking and accept the possibility that he'll enter the grass court season without a title since Wimby last year.  I don't expect too much from the Davis Cup either and surely he won't play doubles (if he plays at all).
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #385 on: January 02, 2014, 01:18 PM »

I think R16 at AO may be as far as Andy will go.  Surely the slog of getting through successive 3-5 set matches will be too much too soon if he can't last 2 full sets against Mayer.  Think we all have to expect that he'll drop to No.5 ranking and accept the possibility that he'll enter the grass court season without a title since Wimby last year.  I don't expect too much from the Davis Cup either and surely he won't play doubles (if he plays at all).
Who can say?  As always, I doubt we can predict any outcome.  This is why I love the boy.  Smile
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #386 on: January 02, 2014, 01:32 PM »

I think we will have to accept that it is going to be a while until Andy gets back into top form. So what if it does, he has to be sensible and take things as they come. We on MW will have to be patient and accept it. hug hug hug
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #387 on: January 02, 2014, 02:08 PM »

^ Agreed.  Some MW members have no patience!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #388 on: January 02, 2014, 03:12 PM »

^ Agreed.  Some MW members have no patience!

And some just love to be negative no matter what!! They thrive on andys losses and seems to me they take pleasure in it....dont know why they even bother being here. No need to name any names I guess you all know who im talking about.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #389 on: January 02, 2014, 03:16 PM »

And some just love to be negative no matter what!! They thrive on andys losses and seems to me they take pleasure in it....dont know why they even bother being here. No need to name any names I guess you all know who im talking about.
I know, Angie - and I just don't get it.  I guess it just sucks to be them!  Very Happy 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »