Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer

(Read 6236 times)
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #405 on: January 02, 2014, 04:48 PM »

They Mayer loss was quite frankly pathetic. 6-3 3-1 up and he loses to Mayer I would understand if it was Nadal, Djokovic and Federer he was playing but Mayer no bloody excuse. Oh but he was not ready. Well if he wasn't ready he shouldn't be playing.

I am starting to wish he didn't have back surgery. He is 27 this year and the clock ticking.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #406 on: January 02, 2014, 04:51 PM »

They Mayer loss was quite frankly pathetic. 6-3 3-1 up and he loses to Mayer I would understand if it was Nadal, Djokovic and Federer he was playing but Mayer no bloody excuse. Oh but he was not ready. Well if he wasn't ready he shouldn't be playing.

I am starting to wish he didn't have back surgery. He is 27 this year and the clock ticking.

I actually thought this yesterday, but when he explained he was tired and sore, I also understood that. I see what you mean though, you would expect Murray to not get tight against an average opponent like he might do against the other top players.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #407 on: January 02, 2014, 04:56 PM »

Defo  yes sad lives I expect...more to be pitied.

I used to feel sorry for people who dwell on the negative and struggle to put things into perspective, and I still do to a certain extent, but I wish they had the emotional intelligence to notice how damaging their little out-bursts has on everyone around them.   I think it causes a lot of damage to places like this and I'm sure a lot of people are put off hanging around, never mind joining in.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #408 on: January 02, 2014, 04:57 PM »

Ooh right......just keep on playing in agony with your back andy,  as long as it keeps rob happy thats ok!  Rolling Eyes get real.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #409 on: January 02, 2014, 05:01 PM »

The only way to find out if you are ready IS to play.   There is no other way.    Personally I'm for Andy having a pain-free life - he owes us nothing and he is not there just to please certain of his fans.   
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #410 on: January 02, 2014, 05:03 PM »

How exactly do you expect him to return to full fitness without actually playing competitive tennis?

You think that not being fully fit within four months of surgery means it's a disaster?  Really?

And what is the clock ticking for exactly?  What could he have achieved by not having the surgery that he isn't achieving now?  He's already got two Doha titles, so that's not a biggie. 

Try to see the bigger picture.  In six months time, if all goes well, Andy could be playing better than ever.

Without the surgery, it's likely Andy's form would have gradually got worse and worse, and people who know no better would have got angrier and angrier at him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #411 on: January 02, 2014, 05:09 PM »

Found this Independent report reassuring insofar as Andy himself is taking the positives and says he just felt generally sore and stiff rather than there being a specific injury or niggle.  He acknowledges how he slowed down in 2nd set.  It also says he'll play an exhibition  (rather than enter as a wild card in a tournament) though I guess he still has time to change his mind. 
I think we have to accept that he's unlikely to make much headway in AO this year so let's just give thanks he is back on track at least for what should be a full recovery and hope that he can make up lost ranking points etc later in the year.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/qatar-open-defeated-andy-murray-short-of-practice-ahead-of-australian-open-9032961.html
Thanks for the link Ruthie.  It's a very interesting and encouraging article. Smile

Well, according to earlier comments he was meeting up with Lendl at Melbourne for the week before AO. If he can also fit in an exho match at Kooyong - then maybe this would be best for his rehab right now.

Yes it was disappointing v Mayer - but it served to create more realistic expectations in these early comeback days - and I have great faith in his decisions.
I agree.  Also I wish his detractors would realise that he also has to get himself back mentally as well as physically, and learn to trust his back again - and any sportsperson who has had an injury will tell you that that can be the hardest part of all.  In fact in his first autobiography Andy said that he had to do this with his wrist in 2007 and that the process took several weeks.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #412 on: January 02, 2014, 05:14 PM »

I used to feel sorry for people who dwell on the negative and struggle to put things into perspective, and I still do to a certain extent, but I wish they had the emotional intelligence to notice how damaging their little out-bursts has on everyone around them.   I think it causes a lot of damage to places like this and I'm sure a lot of people are put off hanging around, never mind joining in.
Maybe Mark could correct me, but it seems to me that MW has acquired very few newbies over the last year, despite Andy's Wimbledon win.  I've been a member of this forum for four years to the day and don't ever recall such a dearth of new members.  Now I wonder why that could be? Think

How exactly do you expect him to return to full fitness without actually playing competitive tennis?

You think that not being fully fit within four months of surgery means it's a disaster?  Really?

And what is the clock ticking for exactly?  What could he have achieved by not having the surgery that he isn't achieving now?  He's already got two Doha titles, so that's not a biggie.  

Try to see the bigger picture.  In six months time, if all goes well, Andy could be playing better than ever.

Without the surgery, it's likely Andy's form would have gradually got worse and worse, and people who know no better would have got angrier and angrier at him.
Good posting!  Also, as I see it, had he gone without surgery his career could well have come to a premature end.  Did anyone want that to happen?  
[ Last edit by Aileen January 02, 2014, 05:20 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #413 on: January 02, 2014, 05:34 PM »

Maybe Mark could correct me, but it seems to me that MW has acquired very few newbies over the last year, despite Andy's Wimbledon win.  I've been a member of this forum for four years to the day and don't ever recall such a dearth of new members.  Now I wonder why that could be? Think

I'm pretty sure that most Newbies have probably been put off by the clique that has developed on here.  I've been on here since the beginning, and I can honestly say, it's put me off.  Sorry to offend, but that's the way it is.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #414 on: January 02, 2014, 05:35 PM »

I'm pretty sure that most Newbies have probably been put off by the clique that has developed on here.  I've been on here since the beginning, and I can honestly say, it's put me off.  Sorry to offend, but that's the way it is.

I agree.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #415 on: January 02, 2014, 05:40 PM »

Same here.  I'd say I hang around despite the negativity and sporadic cliquey "joke" (but not in a funny way) fighting.  I have definitely given up on reading and closed my browser a few times.

It's not as if I'm claiming that there's been no new members, or that everyone has left.  Simply that there are less new members than there would have been.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #416 on: January 02, 2014, 05:46 PM »

The trick is to look at the avatar first and you'll have a good idea if the post is worth reading.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #417 on: January 02, 2014, 05:49 PM »

The trick is to look at the avatar first and you'll have a good idea if the post is worth reading.
I'm not so sure, tbh.  I like fun, and I like a laugh.  I'm not looking out for arseholes, and they always take me by surprise. 
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #418 on: January 02, 2014, 05:50 PM »

THis time last year was the worst it I remember for arguing among members - at that point I was still a lurker - and it v nearly put me off joining. Glad I didn't cos despite the spats there has been plenty good discussions. Was a bit of a silly season in Feb / early March when Andy wasn't playing but we held it together pretty well after September.

Lets not all fall out over the progress of Andy's comeback. Onwards and upwads - and we've had a few newbies the last few days so welcome to them all.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2014 R2: Murray vs F. Mayer « Reply #419 on: January 02, 2014, 05:52 PM »

Time to change my avatar methinks  Think   lol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »