Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will dry up in the sun first?
Muzzinator in 2 - 12 (85.7%)
Muzzinator in 3 - 1 (7.1%)
Beck-her in 2 - 0 (0%)
Beck-her in 3 - 1 (7.1%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 Go Down Reply
Author

Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER

(Read 3644 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #285 on: June 14, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Andy 2nd semi any idea a rough time anyone?
It might be on second as Andy and Tsonga were on last today, so therefore probably mid-afternoon? 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #286 on: June 14, 2013, 06:50 PM »

I'm sure they said it's on BBC. ( probably on i-player too )
There's nothing about it on the BBC tennis website.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #287 on: June 14, 2013, 06:52 PM »

Though I have not seen BB play so often, he must have a good (grass court) game. Otherwise he would not have reached this stage of the tournament with wins over Tomic and Dolgopolov. Or do I interpret too much into them? With regard to the match: I kept believing in an Andy win as he often (not always) strikes back after a nap.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #288 on: June 14, 2013, 06:58 PM »

There's nothing about it on the BBC tennis website.

Sorry, Aileen, I thought Gangsta was referring to the post-Queen's charity match. I seem to have caused some confusion.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #289 on: June 14, 2013, 07:00 PM »

Tennis from Queen's Sunday the 16th June

2013 AEGON Championships Final The AEGON Championships.

Sue Barker introduces coverage of the final of the Wimbledon warm-up event, held at the Queen's Club in London, where Marin Cilic was victorious last year. The Croat won in bizarre circumstances, when opponent David Nalbandian was defaulted for kicking an advertising hoarding which injured a line judge. The tournament is seen as the most prestigious grass-court event on the calendar other than Wimbledon and the players will be keen to lift the trophy having gained as much practice on the surface as possible. Plus, action from the Rally Against Cancer charity event, featuring a doubles match as Andy Murray and Tim Henman line-up against Ivan Lendl and Tomas Berdych.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #290 on: June 14, 2013, 07:01 PM »

Was it very windy today at Queens as I have just fed my horses and it is blowing a gale.

We must remember last year when Andy lost here and at Hurlingham and looked what happened. My feeling is that he is better than he was last year, even more mature.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #291 on: June 14, 2013, 07:04 PM »

He does have a great record in 'breakers this year (like last), aside from that semi-final against Federer.

Yeah the way the top guys play them is noticeably different to the other players. They know other guys are going to get too emotional during them even if they gain a large lead in them. They get erratic...and the top guys just go up a gear and capatilize.

Losing a tie break ...especially for a much lower ranked opponent can be pretty devastating coz they feel like they were right there with them...the top guys are very aware is a great time to dominate.
[ Last edit by ABF June 14, 2013, 07:08 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #292 on: June 14, 2013, 07:08 PM »

Sorry, Aileen, I thought Gangsta was referring to the post-Queen's charity match. I seem to have caused some confusion.
No worries. Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #293 on: June 14, 2013, 07:12 PM »

Was it very windy today at Queens as I have just fed my horses and it is blowing a gale.
I'm sure Andy said the wind was making things difficult, and also I noticed the flags were waving around quite a bit.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #294 on: June 14, 2013, 07:14 PM »

Firstly, credit to Becker for putting up a fight. I never thought Becker would win, but he did have a bit of a go. The thing is though, he was playing a champion. They know how to get things done. It wasn't even as if Andy had his back to the wall or anything, in spite of the OTT commentary. Seriously, what were Lloyd and Cotter on?

I look at it in context. Andy is yet to drop a set this tournament. He's been playing well, very well. He's also just been out for a month with a back injury, which, according to his blog on the BBC's website, made it difficult for him to climb stairs and even walk not so long ago. In that context I think a tiny drop in concentration against a player he was always likely to beat is excuseable.

I think you have to remember as well that Andy has never played Becker in a match setting. They've practised, but that isn't quite the same. When under some pressure from Mahut, Andy would have known what to do, and he would have done it. It felt today like he was feeling Becker out just a bit at times, and also maybe trying to rush himself a bit. Well, he does expect a lot of himself.

The key is that Andy controlled the frustration and got the job done in straight sets. Onwards and upwards.

As for the majority of that crowd, pathetic, as per usual. Far more interested in their Pimm's and ice-cream than the tennis. There were two blokes on the phone! Seriously, watching the second best player in the world and he's a Brit, they were on the phone! Do these people deserve their tickets?

Oh, and if someone happens to find out where Cotter's batteries are (as if I don't know), can you please take them out? He knows stuff all about tennis, less about Andy, and absolutely nothing about anything else. Stick to rugby you horrible little man.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #295 on: June 14, 2013, 07:20 PM »

We must remember last year when Andy lost here and at Hurlingham and looked what happened. My feeling is that he is better than he was last year, even more mature.

Yeah I agree.... I think he has gone up a level or 2 from same time last year. If he stays 100% fit...and thats a big if at the mo... Nadal (if he shows up) or Djoko  will have to play the best they ever have on grass to beat him...IMO

I dont think its important  now  whether he wins queens . He has proved his match fitness going into wimbledon.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #296 on: June 14, 2013, 07:27 PM »

Firstly, credit to Becker for putting up a fight. I never thought Becker would win, but he did have a bit of a go. The thing is though, he was playing a champion. They know how to get things done. It wasn't even as if Andy had his back to the wall or anything, in spite of the OTT commentary. Seriously, what were Lloyd and Cotter on?

I look at it in context. Andy is yet to drop a set this tournament. He's been playing well, very well. He's also just been out for a month with a back injury, which, according to his blog on the BBC's website, made it difficult for him to climb stairs and even walk not so long ago. In that context I think a tiny drop in concentration against a player he was always likely to beat is excuseable.

I think you have to remember as well that Andy has never played Becker in a match setting. They've practised, but that isn't quite the same. When under some pressure from Mahut, Andy would have known what to do, and he would have done it. It felt today like he was feeling Becker out just a bit at times, and also maybe trying to rush himself a bit. Well, he does expect a lot of himself.

The key is that Andy controlled the frustration and got the job done in straight sets. Onwards and upwards.

As for the majority of that crowd, pathetic, as per usual. Far more interested in their Pimm's and ice-cream than the tennis. There were two blokes on the phone! Seriously, watching the second best player in the world and he's a Brit, they were on the phone! Do these people deserve their tickets?

Oh, and if someone happens to find out where Cotter's batteries are (as if I don't know), can you please take them out? He knows stuff all about tennis, less about Andy, and absolutely nothing about anything else. Stick to rugby you horrible little man.
Whilst I agree with the rest of your post, I happen to like Cotter ... he's a darned sight better than the rest of the British comms imo.  Also I like his commentaries on rugby matches too.  Each to their own though. Smile
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #297 on: June 14, 2013, 07:27 PM »

Good Win Andy , can't wait to see the match up with Tsonga .
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #298 on: June 14, 2013, 07:31 PM »

I hope if he's going to have a big wobble in a match, this is it.

Wasn't a wobble - he was just extending the match so I could get home and see a little of it. Very thoughtful that way is our Andy  Little tongue man
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Queens QF: Andy MURRAY vs. Benjamin BECKER « Reply #299 on: June 14, 2013, 07:35 PM »

Good match from Andy. It's natural for any player to have a dip in concentration when they're winning easily - happens to most top players. Happens to me too as a viewer - I find my mind wanders during routine wins. But as an Andy fan, tense matches are never too far away! Wink

Credit to Becker for improving his level of play in the second set - he played some very nice tennis. I've really liked Andy's tennis this week - for a first week back on grass, it's been very impressive.

Should be a great match tomorrow with Tsonga. I'm not going to be able to watch it live but will definitely record it to watch later.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »