Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 Go Down Reply
Author

Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut

(Read 6202 times)
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #450 on: June 13, 2012, 08:31 PM »

Definitely.  The slump started pretty soon after Lendl came on board. 

Well since his back is OK we have to come up with another excuse for his defeat (it obviously can't be that he  isn't good enough)  Lendl is as good as any I guess. But I also noticed the sun came out and then sometimes went behind a cloud. I think this may have put Andy right off his game.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #451 on: June 13, 2012, 08:34 PM »

Yer playing a canny game BigNose.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #452 on: June 13, 2012, 08:35 PM »

D
Interesting Stat:  Sampras as good as he was on grass only won Queens twice and was runner up only twice.  Tim Henman never won it, and was runner-up three times.  The last time, previously to Andy, a Brit won Queens was in 1938, Henry Austin.  So today was not such a tragedy.
. Exactly.   Very Happy
IP Logged
mumbler

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #453 on: June 13, 2012, 08:39 PM »

oh god  my post  lol *facepalm*   I'm a ranter Very Happy    I feel like every Murray match I have watched   I've aged  like 2 and half years each time.  Soon they will be digging up my grave.  Very soon.  Damn you Muzz.

I often suspect that a very similar rant is going through Mr Murray's head when he isn't playing well!  pullhair
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #454 on: June 13, 2012, 08:44 PM »

oh god  my post  lol *facepalm*   I'm a ranter Very Happy    I feel like every Murray match I have watched   I've aged  like 2 and half years each time.  Soon they will be digging up my grave.  Very soon.  Damn you Muzz.

Then I have the perfect song for you, John. Please watch and weep. :p

IP Logged
Psmannie

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #455 on: June 13, 2012, 09:04 PM »

Ah- I was there at Queens toady and I now understand - Andy's good and has streaks of brilliance, but he's not consistent and he's nowhere near the top 3, but he's still worth watching.  After years of watching, supporting, tearing my hair out, saying but if only......but after today I don't any longer expect him to produce his best.  Or at least I understand he can do that only on rare occasions, he can't do it regularly so he'll never be the tops.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #456 on: June 13, 2012, 09:18 PM »

Ah- I was there at Queens toady and I now understand - Andy's good and has streaks of brilliance, but he's not consistent and he's nowhere near the top 3, but he's still worth watching.  After years of watching, supporting, tearing my hair out, saying but if only......but after today I don't any longer expect him to produce his best.  Or at least I understand he can do that only on rare occasions, he can't do it regularly so he'll never be the tops.
Well other people on MW have seen him and don't seem to have reached that conclusion.  I wonder what your attitude would have been had he played a stormer and won?  He definitely wasn't happy on that surface which did seem to be pretty slippery.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #457 on: June 13, 2012, 09:28 PM »

I can just see those fairweather fans who feel that Lendl must go with their signs marching around Andy's house, shouting......hehe 

For years Andy has been taught a certain way to play, now after all this time he being told a different way to play and I must tell you as he tries to do what Lendl tells him to do, it is very difficult to throw off the old ways and he is indeed in the middle.  This is the beginning of the grass season and I am sure that Lendl is telling him how to hit certain shots different than he used to, it's a new learning curve for Andy and if anyone expects him to be great right off, isn't using their head.
IP Logged
Psmannie

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #458 on: June 13, 2012, 09:30 PM »

I was there all day and watched 3 other matches - it feels like there's always something that makes him not achieve his best. it was just as slippy for Mahut...

If he'd played a stormer Id have been over the moon, but that has happened so rarely in the recent past I have to re assess what I think of how good he is...
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #459 on: June 13, 2012, 09:48 PM »

I can just see those fairweather fans who feel that Lendl must go with their signs marching around Andy's house, shouting......hehe 

For years Andy has been taught a certain way to play, now after all this time he being told a different way to play and I must tell you as he tries to do what Lendl tells him to do, it is very difficult to throw off the old ways and he is indeed in the middle.  This is the beginning of the grass season and I am sure that Lendl is telling him how to hit certain shots different than he used to, it's a new learning curve for Andy and if anyone expects him to be great right off, isn't using their head.
couldn't agree more, it takes time, I keep,saying lets see by the end of the year, but it could be next year before Andy really gets the win he desires , I really believe he will.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #460 on: June 13, 2012, 09:51 PM »

Ah- I was there at Queens toady and I now understand - Andy's good and has streaks of brilliance, but he's not consistent and he's nowhere near the top 3, but he's still worth watching.  After years of watching, supporting, tearing my hair out, saying but if only......but after today I don't any longer expect him to produce his best.  Or at least I understand he can do that only on rare occasions, he can't do it regularly so he'll never be the tops.
sorry but how can you say he'll never be the tops ?? No one can say that until he hangs up his tennis racket for good, if that is the case then.
[ Last edit by deb June 13, 2012, 09:56 PM ] IP Logged
Psmannie

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #461 on: June 13, 2012, 09:56 PM »

No I agree, but at this stage of his career he has to have developed an ability to produce the goods when they are needed, and on the whole he hasn't, i really really wish he could, but I don't any longer think he can
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #462 on: June 14, 2012, 12:09 AM »

I am upset for him but hopefully he can sort the serve out and the forehand which is much improved will get better and better.  I would like to know how many forehand winners he had in this match.  Mahut has had four matches on grass since RG so is more practiced as well.  My last post went on as I was so very upset for him but you are right he cannot return to the old Murray but perhaps we need a bit of what we saw at AO.  Perhpas he could play an exhibition match or maybe like Djokovic he would better off just practising on grass.  My gut feeling today was that he would lose and if not it would be very close.  My husband gets cross with me when I tell him about my gut feelings, because 9 out ten times they are right.

Often when they try something new the other strokes suffer especially the serve.  Lendl himself, I believe, did not have the best serve percentage.

When one looks back at RG the others in the top had such easy draws compared to Murray but he had better statistics than them.  So maybe I should not get so depressed.
Well if you believe Sky news he's planning on playing a couple of expos next week.

Quite honestly I'm not so sure that giving top seeds R1 byes is a very good idea, especially where a complete change of surface is involved.  Mahut already had a match under his belt and, on what appeared to be a slightly slippery surface, that could only have benefited him.  How often have Djoko, Nadal and Fed stumbled a little in their opening matches?  Andy has often done the same - just unfortunate that today he came up against a player who seems to be enjoying an end-of-career purple patch whilst probably trying to work on some of the improvements Lendl is making to his game.  My only concern here is that Lendl is doing too much to Andy's natural game because there isn't much wrong with it - it's what's going on between his ears that's much more important. 
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #463 on: June 14, 2012, 12:12 AM »

To show you how stupid and lacking in knowledge Underend is, he didn't even know Lendl had skipped the French to prepare for Wimbledon when he was a player Rolling Eyes

Because I like to be fair I've checked back on IPlayer, and it is Jonathon Overend saying that Murray skipped the French, and it's Peter Fleming saying "No way...that's incredible...." 2hrs 35 mins in
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #464 on: June 14, 2012, 12:23 AM »

Well since his back is OK we have to come up with another excuse for his defeat (it obviously can't be that he  isn't good enough)  Lendl is as good as any I guess. But I also noticed the sun came out and then sometimes went behind a cloud. I think this may have put Andy right off his game.

I know you've been trying to say for quite some time now that Andy is simply not good enough a player and unfortunately, people are just not listening to you. Instead of worshiping Federer, they keep supporting Murray. These fans, really.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »