Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 Go Down Reply
Author

Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut

(Read 6260 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #495 on: June 15, 2012, 01:43 PM »

I think the reason why the other seeds (be it Berdych or Tsonga or Ferrer) don't get as much bashing as Andy is because, Andy is regarded a bit superior player than those and they put him right next to the likes of Federer, Nole, Nadal etc., so obviously when he loses early it makes much more news and controversy than other lowers seeds faltering earlier. That’s what I’d think happens in general.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #496 on: June 15, 2012, 02:07 PM »

I think you're right, Emma.  So much more is expected of Andy than the others below him in top ten.  So, in a way, it's a positive thing.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #497 on: June 15, 2012, 03:53 PM »

With Nadal going out very tamely 6-3, 6-4 to Kohlschreiber in his 2nd match in Halle today, it's almost funny reading some of the stuff written about Andy on this thread: embarrassing...shocking...disgrace...utter joke...get out of here you loser...

and that's just page 26
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #498 on: June 15, 2012, 04:08 PM »

This really feels like a deliberate loss to me. No way in hell Nadal is going down to Kohlschreiber in a Grand Slam like this.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #499 on: June 15, 2012, 04:26 PM »

With Nadal going out very tamely 6-3, 6-4 to Kohlschreiber in his 2nd match in Halle today, it's almost funny reading some of the stuff written about Andy on this thread: embarrassing...shocking...disgrace...utter joke...get out of here you loser...

and that's just page 26
Yeah.. saw that result, thanks Elena. Press calling it a "shock defeat!"
Isn't he still in dubs with Granollers?
Meanwile Fed in tb with Milos, which I don't have time to watch. Grr...
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #500 on: June 15, 2012, 04:37 PM »

Yeah.. saw that result, thanks Elena. Press calling it a "shock defeat!"
Isn't he still in dubs with Granollers?
Meanwile Fed in tb with Milos, which I don't have time to watch. Grr...

Yes, it looks like Nadal & Granollers playing dubs in a while.

Before yesterday's match Nadal said "But don’t forget that my results from Queens since 2006, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, I won one time but the rest of the time I lost in the quarter-finals. That makes you understand how difficult the transition to grass is. You have to understand that probably all the players arrived here with time, not so tired. My situation is a little bit different if I win the French Open the last couple of years".

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #501 on: June 15, 2012, 04:43 PM »

This really feels like a deliberate loss to me. No way in hell Nadal is going down to Kohlschreiber in a Grand Slam like this.

I think so too - it was the same at Queens, where he often won his first match and then lost in his second or third match. The transition from clay to grass must be difficult but in a slam I doubt he'd lose a set to Kohlschreiber - same as Andy probably wouldn't drop one to Mahut either.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #502 on: June 15, 2012, 05:09 PM »

I think so too - it was the same at Queens, where he often won his first match and then lost in his second or third match. The transition from clay to grass must be difficult but in a slam I doubt he'd lose a set to Kohlschreiber - same as Andy probably wouldn't drop one to Mahut either.

Agree. Both seem like strategic losses to me. I mean how often do you see both Andy and Rafa going out in the first match in GSs? Almost never. And Wimbledon is almost around the corner so who can blame them?

As to transition, I am sure it's hard but both Nadal and Nole skipped tournaments before Wimbledon just last year, but that didn't stop them from making the final. Great thing about being a top player is, they don't get very difficult first round matches in GSs, so with relatively easy rounds, they get the proper warm up they need. In the 90s though, this would have been a very difficult transition, as the surfaces varied considerably but nowadays, the speed of the surface is almost the same, so the transition isn't as difficult as made out to be.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #503 on: June 15, 2012, 06:04 PM »

Lui had to retire through injury so Cilic is through to the Quarters ?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #504 on: June 15, 2012, 07:05 PM »

Quote EJ @ 5.09.........'Both seem like strategic losses to me.' Couldn't disagree with this comment more! I can't comment on Nadal, as I didn't see that match but Andy? .......No way! He went out there to win!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #505 on: June 15, 2012, 09:46 PM »

Rafa has done exactly as he did at Queen's last year and Madrid this year - strategic loss.  I've been away for a few days so didn't see Andy's match but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that was also a strategic loss.  If it hadn't have been Queen's I'm sure Andy wouldn't have played.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #506 on: June 15, 2012, 09:54 PM »

Alis, I'm surprised you should make this comment without having watched the match. That is an insult to both Andy and Mahut!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #507 on: June 15, 2012, 10:24 PM »

Yes, I agree I probably shouldn't comment without having seen the match but I had a gut feeling Andy would go out early having played a 'not bad' match and so wasn't surprised at the result.  Andy wouldn't be the first player to 'manage' his schedule while avoiding the wrath of tounament organisers.  We'll never know of course!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #508 on: June 15, 2012, 10:54 PM »

An intriguing thought, but it doesn't really sound like our man. The 6-1 TB was incredibly tame, though, I grant you. If it was deliberate, it must have been subconscious, if that makes sense. 
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #509 on: June 16, 2012, 06:28 AM »

You're right about one thing Alis.....Andy wouldn't be the first player to 'manage' his schedule.......he'd be the last! And when you say "We'll never know of course"......speak for yourself!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »