Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] Go Down Reply
Author

Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut

(Read 7562 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #510 on: June 16, 2012, 06:54 AM »

Fiverings....You're right! It really doesn't sound like our man. It is an intriguing thought that he could have wanted to lose on a subconcious level, but I don't think it was even that! After all, Andy going down in the first set is nothing new to us! He does it often enough. Trouble is, it's more difficult to get back in a three setter. I think if he didn't want to play, he'd have pulled out, wrath from the organisers or not. Let's face it.....he's always getting wrath from one direction or another.....he must be well used to it by now, besides, he needed the practice on grass! Even adding that his mother is always saying that Andy 'hates' to lose even more than he 'loves' to win, the fact is......Mahut played an incredible match, which Alis would have known, had she watched it! I rest my case!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #511 on: June 16, 2012, 08:24 AM »

I take your point Caz - it doesn't sound like Andy but I do believe that Andy would be much less inclined to withdraw from Queen's than any other tournament.  This is one of the few home tournaments and I don't know of another that he has committed to for 5 years.  The other factor is that if he had withdrawn citing 'back problems' and then was seen to be training, all the usual tongues would have been wagging.  By losing in the first round he gives credit to his opponent for his excellent play, he doesn't wind up the organisers and he can continue to train without the pressure of the spotlight.  Perhaps Lendl is behind the thinking - I certainly feel that he has influenced some of Andy's remarks to the press recently in that he seems more inclined to stand up for himself. All this, of course, is just my theory but I would still say that, unless we are party to the internal deliberations of Andy's team, we'll never know.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #512 on: June 16, 2012, 09:18 AM »

I take your point too Alis.......but, even if I agreed with you.....which I don't, I would never have said so out loud, as I think to suggest that Mahut only won that match because Andy 'let' him, rather than by his own brilliant effort, is an insult to the man. He won it because he deserved to, but 'you' will never know that......unless you watch it! So, until you do, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #513 on: June 16, 2012, 10:44 AM »

O.K. Caz - I'm happy to go along with that!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #514 on: June 17, 2012, 10:42 PM »

An intriguing thought, but it doesn't really sound like our man. The 6-1 TB was incredibly tame, though, I grant you. If it was deliberate, it must have been subconscious, if that makes sense. 

Not an intriguing thought but more like a pattern i.e. if you are paying attention. Some players are known to dump or tank tournaments. Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. Nadal, for example, is a pure strategist - for a number of reasons. Last year he went out to Tsonga in Queens but made the Wimbledon final. Same thing happened in both Montreal and Cincy. He went out early but made the USO final. Would have won on both occasions if not for Nole. He does it to keep the expectation low before going into a major like Wimbledon or USO or AO, but when it comes to RG, he doesn't need to. He's supremely confident on that surface. In fact, likes going into it as the favourite. Also, the ATP schedule is a bit too long for him. Andy tends to do it as well. But let's not say he tanks it but rather he doesn't give his all. I believe these are strategies a lot of players follow in order to prioritize tournaments and also to keep themselves injury-free just prior a big major tournament. Federer is very smart at scheduling and his tennis allows him to stay injury-free, so that's a bit of an exception. But he too a few times had dumped tournaments by losing early. One in particular comes to mind. Anyway, it's an important strategy for players in a sport like tennis.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Queens R2 - Murray vs Mahut « Reply #515 on: June 18, 2012, 04:09 AM »

With Nadal going out very tamely 6-3, 6-4 to Kohlschreiber in his 2nd match in Halle today, it's almost funny reading some of the stuff written about Andy on this thread: embarrassing...shocking...disgrace...utter joke...get out of here you loser...

and that's just page 26
In all fairness they're hardly comparable. Nadal has come straight from a big emotional match on a Monday final with barely any rest and been plunged straight on to a new surface with no time to practice. No-one was realistically expecting him to get far.

Murray on the other hand had nearly a week's rest and training time on the grass and didn't have the excuse of being tired. There were no excuses for his pretty terrible performance. Mahut isn't that great a player, as his ranking shows. People are rating him highly based on taking one set against an off-form Federer roared on by his home crowd and once taking Isner to 7 hours when Isner was ranked outside the top 50. Murray should be beating these players in his sleep. Instead he got thoroughly outplayed apart from the 2nd set tie-break.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »