Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please
Murray in 2 - 6 (18.8%)
Murray in 3 - 22 (68.8%)
Tsonga in 2 - 2 (6.3%)
Tsonga in 3 - 2 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga

(Read 6853 times)
dave_ladder
Junior

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #45 on: June 15, 2013, 01:12 PM »

This is what the commentators have said too. I can imagine the look that Ruthie got when she shouted encouragement - it's not the done thing at all. I love it when the crowd responds properly but 'stuffy' and 'reserved' have often been attached to the English mentality.

I wouldn't say it's an English thing, more of a Queen's thing. The tickets are incredibly expensive given the tournament is essentially a 250 warmup for Wimbledon (and history or not, that's really what it is). In fact the early rounds of Queen's are actually more expensive to watch on average than getting Centre Court tickets at Wimbledon in the first week. Certainly if you compare it to tickets for the O2, which is a far more important tournament, the prices are outlandish.

Throw in the limited availability of tickets and you end up with it mostly being a social day out for members and those with a bit of money to throw around. Even as a big fan of Andy I think if I were to go to Queen's it would be more about the day out in the sun than the tennis. It's tough to justify it purely on tennis grounds when you're talking about paying close to £100 to watch him destroy Matosevic in less than an hour!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #46 on: June 15, 2013, 01:30 PM »

Chris Goldsmith ‏@TheTennisTalker
Andy Murray needs to hit 2 aces against Tsonga today to overtake Pat Rafter and become the 18th highest 'ace' hitter on grass in ATP history
  The 18th? You're having a laugh. Who knows this stuff?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #47 on: June 15, 2013, 01:31 PM »

Awww......I misread that! Thought it was the 1st!  doh
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #48 on: June 15, 2013, 01:35 PM »

It'd be nice if the crowd at Queens did get more into the matches. I think that's the problem with a lot of them going as part of a social occasion rather than really being into tennis.
Back in 2001 I was at queens watching Sampras play Hewitt in the semis. Sitting in front of me was hewitts sports psychologist and he was calling out an Aussie Aussie Aussie chant to Layton so my friend and I started calling out Sampras Sampras Sampras. People just looked at us like we were wierd. Sampras laughed and rolled his eyes. Sorry I am a loud fan!
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #49 on: June 15, 2013, 01:39 PM »

Well good luck Andy, stay on task today and play brilliant tennis!  Focus focus on beating tsonga!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #50 on: June 15, 2013, 01:49 PM »

To Ruthie and The Gnome;  The crowd at Queen's do not yell and scream, they applaud and in exremis,like John lennon once said, they rattle their jewellry
or perhaps clink their champagne glasses  Whistle

and dave while you're right about the expense you'd be v lucky indeed to get anywhere near so close to the court in one of the big tournaments.  Being so close to the action was a real treat and a privilege.   yay
[ Last edit by Ruthie June 15, 2013, 01:53 PM ] IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #51 on: June 15, 2013, 01:56 PM »

raindelay Still raining at Queens, no chance of the 1st semi getting underway as yet. The stands are empty. Frown
[ Last edit by lashurst June 15, 2013, 02:02 PM ] IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #52 on: June 15, 2013, 02:05 PM »

Was wondering why Andy's match was not on, darn rain!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #53 on: June 15, 2013, 02:06 PM »

I think Tsonga will be too knackered to play at his best today tbh
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #54 on: June 15, 2013, 02:10 PM »

I think Tsonga will be too knackered to play at his best today tbh
Why should Jo, in particularly be knackered today? He won in 2 quite easily vs Kudla.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #55 on: June 15, 2013, 02:17 PM »

With regards to what people were saying during the match with Becker about Andy seeming to lose focus and drifting mentally etc and why the other 3 members of the big 4 don't do it as often (although recently they seem to be doing it much more than usual) I believe it's a crowd thing. Having just watched the replay, the crowd were a very quiet for a majority of it, maybe due to the lacklustre spectacle that it was, maybe not.

But yeah, i always think Andy is like Connors, he feeds of the crowds energy and stays focused more when the crowd are into it, if it's too quiet then he has to generate his own enthusiasm which he probably is getting better at doing but not quite there yet. A prime example of this was the USopen final last year in the final set when he was shouting CMON at the crowd or the match against Baghdatis at Wimbeldon also last year, this is perhaps why the slams are where he plays his best because the crowd are more lively and stadiums are more full, especially the USO.

Just my take on it, probably wrong but meh.

Judging by some of the matches I watched on youtube of Connors, I can say that he would engage the crowd rather than the other way around. The enthusiasm would come within. He knew what worked for him. Plus, North Americans are very different people. They are open, laid back, very engaging, love to have fun and rarely critical. And very, very supportive of their own players and they don't mind supporting other players as well. In short, they don't hold back.  Brits are far more reserved and can be very critical. Anything outside the norm, they are typically appalled. I've seen the same differences between this forum and other forums as well, where majority of the fans are either North Americans or International fans, whereas 99% of this forum members are Brits. And Andy is a British player and as much as he loves to have a very engaging crowd, he's made of the same mold as well. So it's a tough task for Andy to engage the crowd either at Wimbledon or Queens when both are reserved by nature/culture. He'll be far more successful elsewhere, as you mentioned, the USO  or Australian or even RG where people love to have fun openly and aren't afraid to show their emotion - good or bad - at least you get an engaged crowd.    

Having said that, I'd rather Andy engages the crowd rather than wait for the crowd get engaged. That works far better and should be the way as well. A good display of game, some pumped up attitude and complete focus should really do the job. He can change things around if he really wants it.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #56 on: June 15, 2013, 02:19 PM »

Was wondering why Andy's match was not on, darn rain!

Apollo, I am afraid you are in for a long day here. Hewitt/Cilic are supposed to play first as it's the first semi and Andy will be on only after that match, so you are looking at another 3 hours wait here. And I am not even taking the rain into account.

I have a few things to get done today, so if there's a significant delay because of rain, then I will have no choice but miss the match.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #57 on: June 15, 2013, 02:22 PM »

Is this match gonna get delayed or something?
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #58 on: June 15, 2013, 02:25 PM »

Why should Jo, in particularly be knackered today? He won in 2 quite easily vs Kudla.
  He certainly doesn't like the rain and cold.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Queens SF: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #59 on: June 15, 2013, 02:30 PM »

He certainly doesn't like the rain and cold.
Being Scottish should give Andy the advantage then! We're a hardy lot we Scots......We have to be!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »