Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rafa sticking up for Andy. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafa sticking up for Andy.

(Read 4598 times)
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Rafa sticking up for Andy. « on: June 14, 2012, 11:08 PM »

"I can not say anything bad about Andy. He's a great guy. In my opinion this is about what happened at the French Open against Nieminen. I think he never does anything to irritate the opponent. This is the most important thing. It's hard to explain, but I really believe in Andy. He is fair, a good athlete. I am 100% sure that he has not done anything to irritate his opponents or gain an advantage. He had in the match against Nieminen in the cold. In the end, he has come back into play, but in the beginning it was 6:1, 3:1 against him."

From Rafa first match press conference in Germany.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 12:18 AM »

What is Rafa defending Andy about?  The accusations of faking injury by Tommy Haas?  (And the writer of the article/Haas can't even get the name of Andy's opponent right - Tipsarevic it wasn't!)

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d7KL1?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 12:31 AM »

People seem to have a go at Andy for anything Rolling Eyes

There are certain people who in the eyes of others are easy targets and it seem our boy is one of them... why I do not know but it must get to him all these bampots having a opinion on everything he does.

I hope Andy meets Tommy in the locker room at Wimbledon and has a face to face word cmon yeah
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:59 AM »

I hope Andy meets Tommy in the locker room at Wimbledon and has a face to face word cmon yeah

I hope he meets him on center court in the first round.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 01:02 AM »

What is Rafa defending Andy about?  The accusations of faking injury by Tommy Haas?  (And the writer of the article/Haas can't even get the name of Andy's opponent right - Tipsarevic it wasn't!)

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d7KL1?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis

Rafa was asked about the comments Haas made about Andy.

Q: The other day Tommy Haas said that sometimes Andy Murray is faking injuries. Do you agree with that opinion?

NADAL: I can’t say nothing wrong with Andy. He’s a great guy. In my opinion if we talk about what happened at the French Open against Nieminen that’s why probably. In my opinion, he never does this to bother the opponent. So, that’s the most important thing. It’s difficult to explain but I really believe in Andy. I think he’s a fair guy, a good competitor. I’m 100% sure that he was doing nothing to bother the opponent, to take advantage. The disadvantage was for him in the French Open against Nieminen when that happened in the beginning of the match. At the end, he came back. The real thing is when he was in injury in Paris at the beginning he was losing 6-1, 3-1. So, that’s the real thing.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 01:02 AM »

People seem to have a go at Andy for anything Rolling Eyes

There are certain people who in the eyes of others are easy targets and it seem our boy is one of them... why I do not know but it must get to him all these bampots having a opinion on everything he does.

Probably the reason is that they know Andy is very unlikely to retaliate unless seriously riled.  I admire him for showing that level of dignity - he isn't into coming down to their level of childish crap - but he seems such a sensitive person that I can't believe it doesn't hurt.  No wonder he says he spends as little time in the locker-room as possible!

I truly don't know what Haas's problem is.  If he thinks Andy was faking injury against Nieminen, then clearly Andy's in the wrong profession.  Also Andy isn't the only player who's made an apparently remarkably quick recoveries thanks to a few minutes of on-court physio.  These guys can work wonders.

Anyway if Haas really wants to see fakers then he should go watch a footie match.  He'll see the experts at work there!
[ Last edit by Aileen June 15, 2012, 01:07 AM ] IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 01:05 AM »

I found this comment on tennis.com. 
http://www.tennis.com/messageboards/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20773&start=26

The poster is responding to accusations another poster made about Andy.

---------------------------------------

He’s referring to the Nieminen match, and inaccurately so, in my opinion. Murray looked tattered from the match’s onset. The uncharacteristically stagnant movement, the expression of discomfort, the conditional** shot selection, and the dreadfully slow serve were evident long before the set got away from him. And really, not a whole lot of that changed as things progressed. He played intelligently to minimize his movement and displace Nieminen while attempting to put shots away as much as possible. The differences were that his execution got better and Nieminen got sloppier. So unless someone can explain why he decided to conduct this elaborate act against Jarko Nieminen of all people, then I really don’t see why he’d keep up such a façade for the entirety of the match.

Might Murray play up the drama on court at times? Sure, but that doesn’t mean that his niggles and ailments are non-existent. His chronic knee injury has been thoroughly explained, and the back problem has been an obvious and ongoing issue for some time now. But when has he used any of it deceptively or as an absolvent? As he said himself in Melbourne, once you choose to play, there are no excuses.

That applies to his adversaries as well. In what world is it that Murray (or any player) is held responsible for his opponent’s mentality on court? Ultimately, it’s up to them how they choose to handle a match, and barring opportune MTO’s or stalling in between points, neither of which Murray regularly does, it’s on them to execute.

I have to say, I’m pretty disappointed in Haas. I respect him, but these comments are in poor taste. Besides, it’s a lot of talk from a guy who once withdrew from a match against Fed because of a stuffy nose. Get yourself some Sudafed and just play the game, Thomas.

IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 01:10 AM »

Probably the reason is that they know Andy is very unlikely to retaliate unless seriously riled.  I admire him for showing that level of dignity - he isn't into coming down to their level of childish crap - but he seems such a sensitive person that I can't believe it doesn't hurt.  No wonder he says he spends as little time in the locker-room as possible!

I truly don't know what Haas's problem is.  If he thinks Andy was faking injury against Nieminen, then clearly Andy's in the wrong profession.  Also Andy isn't the only player who's made an apparently remarkably quick recoveries thanks to a few minutes of on-court physio.  These guys can work wonders.

Anyway if Haas really wants to see fakers then he should go watch a footie match.  He'll see the experts at work there!

Super
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 01:11 AM »

Probably the reason is that they know Andy is very unlikely to retaliate unless seriously riled.  I admire him for showing that level of dignity - he isn't into coming down to their level of childish crap - but he seems such a sensitive person that I can't believe it doesn't hurt.  No wonder he says he spends as little time in the locker-room as possible!

I truly don't know what Haas's problem is.  If he thinks Andy was faking injury against Nieminen, then clearly Andy's in the wrong profession.  Also Andy isn't the only player who's made an apparently remarkably quick recoveries thanks to a few minutes of on-court physio.  These guys can work wonders.

Anyway if Haas really wants to see fakers then he should go watch a footie match.  He'll see the experts at work there!

His wife also had a go at Andy on twiiter.  Not very subtle either.

"Players who fake injuries have no respect in my book. Its so obvious and transparent to fans. That crap should be left in the juniors. "

They're a mouthy pair aren't they?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 01:28 AM »

I found this comment on tennis.com. 
http://www.tennis.com/messageboards/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20773&start=26

The poster is responding to accusations another poster made about Andy.

---------------------------------------

He’s referring to the Nieminen match, and inaccurately so, in my opinion. Murray looked tattered from the match’s onset. The uncharacteristically stagnant movement, the expression of discomfort, the conditional** shot selection, and the dreadfully slow serve were evident long before the set got away from him. And really, not a whole lot of that changed as things progressed. He played intelligently to minimize his movement and displace Nieminen while attempting to put shots away as much as possible. The differences were that his execution got better and Nieminen got sloppier. So unless someone can explain why he decided to conduct this elaborate act against Jarko Nieminen of all people, then I really don’t see why he’d keep up such a façade for the entirety of the match.

Might Murray play up the drama on court at times? Sure, but that doesn’t mean that his niggles and ailments are non-existent. His chronic knee injury has been thoroughly explained, and the back problem has been an obvious and ongoing issue for some time now. But when has he used any of it deceptively or as an absolvent? As he said himself in Melbourne, once you choose to play, there are no excuses.

That applies to his adversaries as well. In what world is it that Murray (or any player) is held responsible for his opponent’s mentality on court? Ultimately, it’s up to them how they choose to handle a match, and barring opportune MTO’s or stalling in between points, neither of which Murray regularly does, it’s on them to execute.

I have to say, I’m pretty disappointed in Haas. I respect him, but these comments are in poor taste. Besides, it’s a lot of talk from a guy who once withdrew from a match against Fed because of a stuffy nose. Get yourself some Sudafed and just play the game, Thomas.
In a nutshell!  We all know Andy can be a bit of drama queen at times, but his niggles/injuries are real - and he isn't alone.  Djokovic excels at this.  How often have we seen him dragging himself round the court looking like he's about to breathe his last then - hey presto! - he's up and running round like he's on speed and goes on to win the match?

His wife also had a go at Andy on twiiter.  Not very subtle either.

"Players who fake injuries have no respect in my book. Its so obvious and transparent to fans. That crap should be left in the juniors. "

They're a mouthy pair aren't they?
I had great respect for Haas until now.  Sad that a player of his calibre should resort to this level of criticism near the end of his career, and bring his wife into it as well, especially as she's an actress and not a tennis player.  And come to think of it, as a professional actress she should be able to distinguish the real thing from the ham-ups.  Shame on her.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 01:35 AM »

For Tommy to come out with this tripe means he obviously feels like he needs to find excuses for losing to other players or he is just being a douche.

And his wife to put that on twitter is just sad and pathetic. A stand up guy like Andy who has enough BS to deal with from the press already having his name dragged through the mud by some mad players wife is vile.

I know Andy will act with class but this kind of thing must put him off tennis.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 02:35 AM »

I came across Andy's reaction on si.com -

My only question is this: If Murray has this reputation and everyone is talking about it, then shouldn’t players become completely numb to these aggravated displays of discomfort?

For his part, Murray refused to be pulled into the fray. He dismissed Haas’ comments.

“Nothing to say on it. That’s good. Good for him,” Murray said Wednesday after his second-round loss to Nicolas Mahut at the AEGON Championships here. “The time I have been on tour I’ve been called many, many things. My personality not being exciting enough. I have been called boring. It was said I was unfit, lazy, fake injuries. I mean, all sorts. It’s something that kind of goes hand in hand with playing sport. People criticize you regularly. You need to just deal with it. But I don’t care for his opinion.”

http://tennis.si.com/2012/06/14/andy-murray-tommy-haas/
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 06:42 AM »

BBC World just referred to Rafa as possibly the nicest sportsman in the world. tender
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 08:11 AM »

Rafa does some slightly iffy things on court, but he's clearly a great bloke.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Rafa sticking up for Andy. « Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 08:27 AM »

All I can say that Haas should be treated with the contempt he and his wife deserves.  I am sure Andy is above this and will ignore it especially as not long ago one of the players was interviewed (I cannot remember who) said that Andy is probably the most popular player in the locker room.

I have noticed that noone ever complains about Djokovic who is the best 'drama queen' on the tour.

Rafa always comes out on Andy's side.  He can be so different off court.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »