Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 396 397 398 [399] 400 401 402 ... 594 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 315240 times)
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5970 on: June 08, 2013, 10:22 AM »

I don't see Ferrer beating Nadal, so I don't think Andy needs to lose sleep over that.

Fed's not winning Wimbles, I'd bet my life on that. I just don't see it. Hopefully he'll find himself on Andy's side of the draw, in which case Andy can beat him in the semi's, if Fed gets that far. It'll cause quite a stir when Fed falls out of the top four. It's bound to happen at some point.

Again I agree I personally thought Ferrer's win over Tsonga was helped considerably by Tsonga's lack of engagement in the match   As long as Nadal is not injured he'll swallow up Ferrer just like he's done everyone else he's played
 Hopefully he'll find things tougher on grass and hardcourt
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5971 on: June 08, 2013, 12:04 PM »

Nadal has pulled out of Halle so this means that he'll be the number 5 seed at Wimbledon, regardless of what happens tomorrow. Hope Andy doesn't draw him in the QF!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5972 on: June 08, 2013, 12:59 PM »

Again I agree I personally thought Ferrer's win over Tsonga was helped considerably by Tsonga's lack of engagement in the match   As long as Nadal is not injured he'll swallow up Ferrer just like he's done everyone else he's played
 Hopefully he'll find things tougher on grass and hardcourt

Well Ferrer did play well yesterday and has been in great form, so that must have been a factor. He also has a winning H2H against Tsonga, which must help. Tsonga did help though, I agree with that. It was almost inevitable to my mind, Tsonga being French, match nerves, and some comedown after flooring Federer.

I hope Ferrer fights Nadal all the way, I really do. If he does you never know. I'd be surprised (delighted, over the moon) if Ferrer won, but Nadal must be the heavy favourite, I just hope Ferrer makes it tough as all hell for him. Nadal hasn't had all his own way in the tournament. I hope tomorrow is the same.

I'd be surprised if things are as easy for Nadal on grass and hard.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5973 on: June 08, 2013, 01:31 PM »

Have just been looking at some stats. on the Halle website.  Andy has played the least matches of anyone this year and has still managed to get to No 2 and Ferrer has played the most.  I do not know how Ferrer does it at his age.  Will he ever stop?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5974 on: June 08, 2013, 02:01 PM »

I don't see Ferrer beating Nadal, so I don't think Andy needs to lose sleep over that.

Fed's not winning Wimbles, I'd bet my life on that. I just don't see it. Hopefully he'll find himself on Andy's side of the draw, in which case Andy can beat him in the semi's, if Fed gets that far. It'll cause quite a stir when Fed falls out of the top four. It's bound to happen at some point.
It probably will after Wimbledon if Federer fails to defend his title.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5975 on: June 08, 2013, 02:23 PM »

It probably will after Wimbledon if Federer fails to defend his title.
Yes  Agree , can't see Fed defending his title no way, Andys going to win it Smile  yes
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5976 on: June 08, 2013, 05:47 PM »

I don't really understand some of the ATP rules, but i was sure that a player could not withdraw from a future event which starts in less than a weeks time if you are still competing in one?

Please explain this to me.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5977 on: June 08, 2013, 06:57 PM »

I don't really understand some of the ATP rules, but i was sure that a player could not withdraw from a future event which starts in less than a weeks time if you are still competing in one?

Please explain this to me.

I'm not sure about that either and I find the question of withdrawal penalties the most confusing bit of the ranking rules. Are you thinking of Nadal withdrawing from Halle?

If so, I suppose it isn't a compulsory tournament. He may get  0 points which can't be replaced by a higher score - but that may be only for 500+ tournaments. This seems to have happened for Valencia and Beijing last year. See http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Rafael-Nadal.aspx?t=rb

There may be a fine - we don't often hear about them, but they must happen.

I'd like to know if this ever happens: "Players with direct acceptance who do not play an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament will be suspended from a subsequent ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event, which will be the next highest points earned ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event within the next 12 months".
From http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx 
It seemed to me we were very close to that situation when Nadal pulled out of Miami - there was so much speculation throughout Indian Wells that he would, but I think it wasn't announced until IW was over.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5978 on: June 08, 2013, 07:09 PM »

I'm not sure about that either and I find the question of withdrawal penalties the most confusing bit of the ranking rules. Are you thinking of Nadal withdrawing from Halle?

If so, I suppose it isn't a compulsory tournament. He may get  0 points which can't be replaced by a higher score - but that may be only for 500+ tournaments. This seems to have happened for Valencia and Beijing last year. See http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Rafael-Nadal.aspx?t=rb

There may be a fine - we don't often hear about them, but they must happen.

I'd like to know if this ever happens: "Players with direct acceptance who do not play an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament will be suspended from a subsequent ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event, which will be the next highest points earned ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event within the next 12 months".
From http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx  
It seemed to me we were very close to that situation when Nadal pulled out of Miami - there was so much speculation throughout Indian Wells that he would, but I think it wasn't announced until IW was over.

Yep exactly that, i don't see how Nadal skipping an event next week he was signed for can be justified if he's still playing in the final Sunday it makes no sense to me that the ATP can allow this sort of thing, even if it was accepting a fine, that is hardly fair to spectators and event organisers who probably sold tickets on the back of his appearance.

If a player is ill or injured that is understandable, but he obviously is neither if he still has a grand slam final to play.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5979 on: June 08, 2013, 07:18 PM »

I learn things all the time on MW and I've never noticed this happening before i e  a player withdrawing from the next tournament while still playing the current one   I have to say that I did notice that Murray was reported playing practice on grass courts during the very early stages of the French Open and I thought that was a bit odd. However as noone commented  upon it I thought no more about it
  Nadal's behaviour seems a bit calculated to say the least
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5980 on: June 08, 2013, 07:34 PM »

I learn things all the time on MW and I've never noticed this happening before i e  a player withdrawing from the next tournament while still playing the current one   I have to say that I did notice that Murray was reported playing practice on grass courts during the very early stages of the French Open and I thought that was a bit odd. However as noone commented  upon it I thought no more about it

He played Halle last year and lost in the quarters to Kohlschreiber, he probably thought it unnecessary to go back and defend these points. He also complained about his knee hurting, so perhaps he did it strategically so he can rest his knees. He wants to avoid another shocking Wimbledon loss at all costs.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5981 on: June 08, 2013, 07:42 PM »

Well know sign of his knee hurting at RG and he still has a final to play. I am beginning to think Nadal only wants to play on clay. If so he will loose a lot of points or have points deducted.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5982 on: June 08, 2013, 08:29 PM »

As Andy said he at the time you refer to he was standing hitting a ball for 20 mins not moving about, the next day 30 mins slowly building up his fitness. Andy was unable to play in France and this was accepted. totally different to Rafa who is still playing, whereas Andy withdrew from Rome during his second match. Rafa has been playing for 2 weeks and is now in a Final.So as you say Nadals behaviour is calculated.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5983 on: June 08, 2013, 08:47 PM »

Not sure where to put this. Anyone seen Feds draw at Halle. Janowicz, Gulbis, Haas, and Raonic.  All before the semis.   Little tongue man
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5984 on: June 08, 2013, 08:55 PM »

Not sure where to put this. Anyone seen Feds draw at Halle. Janowicz, Gulbis, Haas, and Raonic.  All before the semis.   Little tongue man
OMG.That's tough haha.Don't expect him to come through that draw.Bout time he had it tough for a change. I maybe wrong and he may well beat all of those guys and he may even end up winning the tournament but don't see it myself.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 398 [399] 400 401 402 ... 594 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »