Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 399 400 401 [402] 403 404 405 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 325364 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6015 on: June 10, 2013, 06:52 AM »

Rafa has just won a grand slam, a very emotional one at that,  think he's entitled to a little breather.....
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6016 on: June 10, 2013, 09:21 AM »

Rafa has just won a grand slam, a very emotional one at that,  think he's entitled to a little breather.....

I don't think he is. Something about heat and kitchens springs to mind.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6017 on: June 10, 2013, 09:30 AM »

Every match Rafa plays for the rest of the year he will be gaining points, Andy will be defending points a lot of the time ...

Andy can pick up points at Cinci and Montreal, both those are more points each than he'll lose when the Olympics points come off, and on the Asia swing. Who says Andy won't win the WTF as well.

People seem to think Nadal is going on a great long run. He would if the clay season lasted the rest of the year.  As it is, let's see how he goes on the grass and the hard courts before we have him moving far up the rankings.

I still don't see any reason why Andy won't finish the year at no.2.

[ Last edit by teejay1 June 10, 2013, 10:41 AM ] IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6018 on: June 10, 2013, 10:06 AM »

Rankings Race looks really interesting for the rest of the year.  Andy will need good grass tournaments just to stay at No. 2 ahead of Rafa for now never mind rest of year.  Also, I reckon Federer will be down to 5 after Wimby.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6019 on: June 10, 2013, 11:33 AM »

The sports press suggesting Rafa likely to be seeded five for Wimbledon. This is very bad and all the top guys will be praying to avoid him. If the organisers have a brain cell between the lot of them they will swap Rafa with Ferrer since everyone and their dog knows the only reason Rafa is 5 is because he was out injured for 6 months.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6020 on: June 10, 2013, 01:12 PM »

Just worked out the new rankings (was a bit bored):

1 Djokovic, Novak           11830
2 Murray, Andy                 8310
3 Federer, Roger              7640
4 Ferrer, David                   7220
5 Nadal, Rafael                6895
6 Berdych, Tomas              4515
7 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried        4155
8 Del Potro, Juan Martin    3960   
9 Gasquet, Richard            3090
10 Wawrinka, Stanislas     2810
11 Haas, Tommy                2610
12 Cilic, Marin                      2570
13 Nishikori, Kei                   2495
14 Tipsarevic, Janko           2300
15 Almagro, Nicolas            2195

I got Haas' points total wrong. Reason is, on the ATP site, he's credited with 115 points for last year's RG 4th round, when you would normally get 90 points for a slam 4th round. I assumed it was a mistake and went with the 90. Anyone know why Haas got 115 points?
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6021 on: June 10, 2013, 01:35 PM »

The sports press suggesting Rafa likely to be seeded five for Wimbledon. This is very bad and all the top guys will be praying to avoid him. If the organisers have a brain cell between the lot of them they will swap Rafa with Ferrer since everyone and their dog knows the only reason Rafa is 5 is because he was out injured for 6 months.

With Ferrer up to fourth in the rankings, Nadal is down to fifth and his decision to withdraw from this week's grasscourt tournament in Halle means he is now unable to overhaul Ferrer in the rankings before Wimbledon

Where he is seeded will therefore come down to the tournament organisers. The seedings are at their discretion, although in previous years Wimbledon has based them on a formula which takes into account recent grasscourt results. When this formula is applied, the current top five in the ranking list would be seeded in the same order.

Nadal got knocked out in round 2 last year which had nothing to do with being out for 7 months afterwards, Ferrer made the 1/4 finals, so why Should Ferrer be punished for this? The French didn't bump him up so why should Wimbledon, it's Nadals' choice not to play Halle
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6022 on: June 10, 2013, 03:05 PM »

But why didn't the French bump him up? You saw the result. The final was a walkover.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6023 on: June 10, 2013, 03:06 PM »

But why didn't the French bump him up? You saw the result. The final was a walkover.

Nadal did as well as he did last year, he defended all his points, therefore earning no more. Ferrer on the other hand, reached the semi-finals last year and this year made the final, therefore gaining points, hence the jump over Rafa to take No. 4.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6024 on: June 10, 2013, 04:02 PM »

They didn't bump him up because he was ranked five in the world before the seedings came out before RG. Rg bases it's seedings purely on rankings and it was right that wasn't changed to accommodate Nadal.

Bumping up Nadal at RG would have been unfair on Andy had he played, and Ferrer, both of whom have worked for their rankings every bit as hard as Nadal. It's not Andy and Ferrer's fault that RG uses the rankings for it's seedings, when Wimbledon uses another formula.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6025 on: June 10, 2013, 04:45 PM »

The seedings for majors should take into account the surface, injuries and current form. It would have been silly had Andy been number 2 seed. That would imply he was the 2nd most likely to win. Same way it was silly Rafa was 3rd seed. And this was borne out because the Joker v  Rafa semi-final was in fact the final.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6026 on: June 10, 2013, 04:51 PM »

They could just base it on the betting odds, although it seems unofficial they're generally the best indicator of how people see the draws so they are going to line up the seedings in the most favourable way for the spectators.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6027 on: June 10, 2013, 05:06 PM »

Interestingly, I wouldn't completely rule out Rafa withdrawing from Wimbledon. He hasn't got many points to defend and may well just take a time out after his massive clay run  Think

"I will check everything after here," he said. "I will check all my body, and I really hope to be ready for Wimbledon.

"I won't play a tournament before Wimbledon, so that's not the ideal situation before a grand slam like Wimbledon that is on grass and the conditions are very different.

"It's the tournament that is more unpredictable for that reason. But I am going to try to arrive in good shape to Wimbledon. And if not, I am going to look about the rest of the season.

"Because I'm in a good position, even if I don't play a good Wimbledon. That doesn't mean I am not going to try, because I am going to try 100% to be ready for there and to play good tennis there."
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6028 on: June 10, 2013, 09:23 PM »

They were talking about Rafa's fall in rankings on the radio this morning but I'm a bit peeved when they announced that the top 3 were Nole, Fed and Andy, which insinuates that Andy is currently the 3rd ranked player ranting  Get it right New Zealand radio!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6029 on: June 10, 2013, 10:06 PM »

I read in an ATP article that Ferrer isn't too happy about his No.4 ranking.  Says Rafa deserves it more than he does, and he does have a good point.  Ferrer can't change the rankings but I'm sure it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility for the Wimbledon organisers to change the seedings, just for once.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 401 [402] 403 404 405 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »