Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 1 Member and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 401 402 403 [404] 405 406 407 ... 539 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray's Ranking  (Read 262971 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6045 on: June 16, 2013, 09:01 PM »

Andy has just gone back to 2nd favourite for Wimbledon now at the bookies by an edge.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6046 on: June 16, 2013, 09:05 PM »

Andy has just gone back to 2nd favourite for Wimbledon now at the bookies by an edge.

Thought he might Smile.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6047 on: June 16, 2013, 09:24 PM »

Never heard of Wildcard but he reached the QFs (or was it the semis?) of an ATP tournament so he must be a decent player.

There are 4 potential winners of Wimbledon and Fed is one of them even though he is 4th favourite. Andy is clear 2nd favourite after today's triumph.
Not always, and not in this case - he faced a qualifier in R1 and a lucky loser in R2. Neither player even in the top 200. He came out the best of a very weak bunch.

That said, I agree with your point at hand. Nothing in between the four of them at all, and to rule out Federer given his grass form would be a bit naïve.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6048 on: June 16, 2013, 09:30 PM »

I agree he has everything in life that he could wish for. Maybe tennis is like a drug to him and he needs to be weaned of it slowly. I honestly think he will retire at the end of this year if he doesn't get into quarter or semi-finals by the end of this year.
He still nurses the illusion that he can win olympic gold.  Actually Andy could be to blame if he refuses to give up - and I don't think we can count him out just yet.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6049 on: June 17, 2013, 12:11 AM »

Just been watching the newspaper review on the news. Andy, obviously, got a mention. Typically, they smirked about Andy winning Queen's, talking about players who he didn't have to beat to win - you all know the ones.

It just occurs to me that if they think Andy had 'easy' time, they should look at Federer in Halle.

Further to my point earlier, I wouldn't rule out Federer for Wimbledon. To dismiss him altogether would be stupid. I just think that of the four he has the least chance, although there probably isn't much in it. My point really was that using his double bagel over a wildcard as evidence of his form is a bit OTT.
IP Logged
rob92
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6050 on: June 17, 2013, 01:06 AM »

I wouldn't call two top 15 players easy players to beat.  Whistle
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6051 on: June 17, 2013, 06:42 AM »

Tsonga who just swiped TMF, "easy to beat" ......?
yeah right Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6052 on: June 17, 2013, 09:20 AM »

The first real test Fed faced was the SF against Tommy Haas who beat him in Halle last year (if I am not mistaken). Then in the final there was Jushni against whom he has a 15-0 record now. At least, he lost a set and had to fight. After Nadal had withdrawn, the field in Queens was definitely more challenging.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6053 on: June 17, 2013, 09:58 AM »

Federer could do well at Wimbledon - especially if there's rain as he's such an excellent indoor player. These days his tennis is much more effective on quicker surfaces than on clay. But I do think he's much more vulnerable to an exit at the QF stage than Andy, Novak or Rafa are. Tsonga, Berdych and Rafa in particular could all knock him out then.

Nishikori's gone up in the rankings again this week to a new career-high of number 11. Hopefully he can get into the top 10 later this summer.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6054 on: June 17, 2013, 10:21 AM »

That's brilliant news for Nishikori. I'd love to see him make the top ten.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6055 on: June 17, 2013, 11:09 AM »

Federer could do well at Wimbledon - especially if there's rain as he's such an excellent indoor player. These days his tennis is much more effective on quicker surfaces than on clay. But I do think he's much more vulnerable to an exit at the QF stage than Andy, Novak or Rafa are. Tsonga, Berdych and Rafa in particular could all knock him out then.

Nishikori's gone up in the rankings again this week to a new career-high of number 11. Hopefully he can get into the top 10 later this summer.
To avoid falling to No. 5 Federer will not only have to do well at Wimby - he'll have to win it.  Otherwise, only early tournament collapses from Ferrer and Nadal will prevent another milestone stage in his decline.

Go now Roger so that people can remember the good times - not the mediocrity you're putting out now.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6056 on: June 17, 2013, 11:28 AM »

Just been live rankings and it says that Andy is on 8310.  Went to Official rankings and he is on 8560 and that next week he will be on 8310.  I am very confused because he is surely on 8560 as of yesterday.  Can someone explain?
IP Logged
dave_ladder

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6057 on: June 17, 2013, 11:29 AM »

Obviously Federer isn't what he was, but personally I'd probably keep playing as long as I could. Look at someone like Hewitt - he used to be the best player in the world, but hasn't been anywhere near that for years. Yet he was still there giving it 100% at Queen's. I think that's far more admirable than just quitting as soon as you lose a step. Most players would love to be number 5 and still reaching the latter stages of slams.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6058 on: June 17, 2013, 12:20 PM »

Obviously Federer isn't what he was, but personally I'd probably keep playing as long as I could. Look at someone like Hewitt - he used to be the best player in the world, but hasn't been anywhere near that for years. Yet he was still there giving it 100% at Queen's. I think that's far more admirable than just quitting as soon as you lose a step. Most players would love to be number 5 and still reaching the latter stages of slams.
Yes, but would it still be satisfying if you had been the GOAT!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6059 on: June 17, 2013, 12:36 PM »

To avoid falling to No. 5 Federer will not only have to do well at Wimby - he'll have to win it.  Otherwise, only early tournament collapses from Ferrer and Nadal will prevent another milestone stage in his decline.

Go now Roger so that people can remember the good times - not the mediocrity you're putting out now.

Yes it's going to be very hard for Federer to stay in the top 4 after Wimbledon. Ferrer's not defending any points in Canada, Cincinatti or Shanghai compared to Federer defending 1360 points (plus 450 Olympics points that will come off) so it'll be difficult for Federer to stay ahead of him.

I agree - if Federer was concerned about his ranking then he'd have played in Miami and Monte Carlo. Last year was probably his last big rankings push as he wanted the most weeks at number 1 record. I think he'll keep on playing until he starts losing early in slams to players he'd usually beat easily. He obviously still really enjoys playing tennis so there's no reason to stop just yet.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 403 [404] 405 406 407 ... 539 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »