Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 415 416 417 [418] 419 420 421 ... 592 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 309456 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6255 on: August 09, 2013, 11:03 AM »

well I'd rather Andy finished end of year at #3 and as Wimbledon champion than at #2 and not.   Andy is who he is and perhaps that means he simply isn't going to have the consistency to be number 1 as he himself has more or less said.  So be it.  He's still brilliant and has achieved more than some of us dared hope.

yes, yes and yes again:-)
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6256 on: August 09, 2013, 11:34 AM »

Nadal's comeback has been remarkable for both its consistency and its speed Now that Murray has gone out early so losing a rare chance to gain extra points on last year and with Nadal having no points to defend Murrays demotion to no3 is assured
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6257 on: August 09, 2013, 11:48 AM »

If Andy retained the USO and finnished the year ranked #3, he would still be happy, and so would I, because he would have won two Grand Slams in the same year, and would be  a three time GS winner.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6258 on: August 09, 2013, 11:56 AM »

Marcelo Ríos is the only male player in the open era to have been World No. 1 while never managing to win a Grand Slam singles tournament in his career.

I'm sure Andy would rather be in his ‘own shoes’; with 2 grand slam cups in his trophy cabinet!

Note: Marcelo Ríos from Chile spent six weeks at number 1.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6259 on: August 09, 2013, 12:00 PM »

Nadal's comeback has been remarkable for both its consistency and its speed Now that Murray has gone out early so losing a rare chance to gain extra points on last year and with Nadal having no points to defend Murrays demotion to no3 is assured

Personally I regard any of Nadal's accomplishments with the greatest of suspicion. I don't know when it will happen, but at some point I really believe Nadal will be outed as having used chemical assistance somewhere along the line. I would rather Mr Murray finished at No 3, having achieved that ranking honestly, than be higher through dubious methods.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6260 on: August 09, 2013, 01:02 PM »

I agree Nadal seems to get back to good form quickly seems a bit suspicious to me. And knoe support on his left leg. Lets see how he goes when the going gets tough.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6261 on: August 09, 2013, 05:46 PM »

My suspicions have been even raised even more when I see him without the support on the worst court for his knee.  I totally agree with Masaka.  I would rather Andy finished at No 3 honestly than by dubious methods.  I feel 'there is no smoke without fire' in the suspicions over Nadal and perhaps some of the other Spanish players.  Perhaps it will all come out some day.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6262 on: August 09, 2013, 06:18 PM »

With Andy out, if Rafa goes deep in Montreal and his fitness holds up on the hard courts Andy will be looking at an end of year ranking of 3.

Ah, but there is an if in that sentence. What happens if Nadal doesn't hold up during the rest of the hard court season - which is exactly what I expect, he doesn't look fit to me in Montreal, let alone what he'll be like the rest of the season. What happens if Andy wins Cinci (not entirely expecting that, but he could) and the USO again. What if Andy wins Shanghai again or the WTF? That latter one wouldn't surprise me one bit.

It's fine, with all due respect, to band ifs about, but perhaps we shouldn't only do it on the basis of Andy not doing well for the rest of the year on the basis of one loss.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6263 on: August 09, 2013, 06:22 PM »

Er, call me thick if you like, but I don't think it is. I haven't done the maths, but there is a lot of the year to go yet. Andy has chances to gain points as well. He might not finish as no.1, but nothing is certain that he'll go down to three either.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6264 on: August 09, 2013, 06:38 PM »

I would never call you thick under any circumstances,on the contrary I always read your contributions most carefully as you always know much more about what's going on in tennis So please correct me if I'm wrong Nadal started his comeback approximately in early April in South America,picking up the claycourt season in Europe and winning everything in sight until the grass court season    and now he has 7190 points heading the race  That seems pretty quick to me
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6265 on: August 10, 2013, 12:34 PM »

Rafa's moved up to number 3 after his win last night.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6266 on: August 11, 2013, 07:39 AM »

Joker and Rafa will be world numbers 1 and 2 by the end of the year. Over the course of a season they are better than Andy. Its just the order that has to be confirmed. I suspect Rafa will be number 1 if he remains injury free. Andy will be number 3.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6267 on: August 11, 2013, 07:48 AM »

Ever the ray of sunshine eh!  Rolling Eyes You'll have to wait and see..... just like the rest of us!
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6268 on: August 11, 2013, 07:57 AM »

Joker and Rafa will be world numbers 1 and 2 by the end of the year. Over the course of a season they are better than Andy. Its just the order that has to be confirmed. I suspect Rafa will be number 1 if he remains injury free. Andy will be number 3.

Nadal is the model of consistency on clay, same can't be said about other surfaces, I am unsure why you seem so sure about the year end outcome, there are plenty of points up for grabs for all three players.  Obviously Andy is prioritising the defence of his USO, quite rightly in my opinion, as when he hangs up his racket his success will be measured by the number of slams he won, not by how many weeks he spent at No 1.  If you want to talk consistency, then Andy is right up there he's contested the finals of the last four slams (excluding FO) and the Olympic final - that's pretty damn consistent in my book and a stat any Murray fan would take over being No 1 in the world.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6269 on: August 11, 2013, 08:15 AM »

Yep, it's pretty much assured now unless Nadal's injury reoccurs.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 417 [418] 419 420 421 ... 592 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »