Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 416 417 418 [419] 420 421 422 ... 581 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 293992 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6270 on: August 11, 2013, 08:47 AM »

Nadal is the model of consistency on clay, same can't be said about other surfaces, I am unsure why you seem so sure about the year end outcome, there are plenty of points up for grabs for all three players.  Obviously Andy is prioritising the defence of his USO, quite rightly in my opinion, as when he hangs up his racket his success will be measured by the number of slams he won, not by how many weeks he spent at No 1.  If you want to talk consistency, then Andy is right up there he's contested the finals of the last four slams (excluding FO) and the Olympic final - that's pretty damn consistent in my book and a stat any Murray fan would take over being No 1 in the world.

Absolutely agree on all counts.

I don't know why some persist in the idea that Andy will do nothing for the rest of the year. Who is to say he won't win Cincy. Okay, he can't gain at the USO, but I wouldn't bet against him defending. I mean, who else is winning it, Rafa? Yes, right.

Then there's Asia, where Andy has consistently played well.

Personally I wouldn't bet against Andy for the WTF this year.

If Andy should drop back to three it would be no big deal. Three with the Wimbledon title, or two without it? I know which I prefer. Andy also doesn't need to rush to no.1. He's far better off prioritising peaking at the right times in my book, which involves picking and choosing when he plays.

I'd take Andy's current consistency in the slams over any ranking.

As for Nadal, let's see how he is a few rounds into the USO and beyond.

IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6271 on: August 11, 2013, 10:39 AM »

I actually voted in the poll that andy would finish no. 3. Simply on the basis that he has more points to defend than Nadal (who has zilch). It's about maths more than tennis - always the case with ranking systems.

While I would like to see Andy get that no.1 spot - maybe someday - I agree with many here, that Slam titles are the real priority. I think back to just over a year ago when he had no more than a load of ATP/masters titles and a few slam 'near misses' to his name. With his phenomenal success since then, it's like we have cranked up the expectation levels beyond reason. I would happily trade that no.1 spot for even one more slam title.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6272 on: August 11, 2013, 12:42 PM »

Although I accept all that's been said re the non importance of the rankings I would be much happier if Andy was'nt fooling around playing in a doubles final when he has to travel hundreds of mile to Cincinatti,settle there and be prepared for what might be another close encounter with Guilbis
  I can't resist the opportunity to point out Murrays half at Cincinatti with both Federer  and Nadal due to meet in it That's what happens when you are ranked no 5
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6273 on: August 11, 2013, 01:38 PM »

Although I accept all that's been said re the non importance of the rankings I would be much happier if Andy was'nt fooling around playing in a doubles final when he has to travel hundreds of mile to Cincinatti,settle there and be prepared for what might be another close encounter with Guilbis
  I can't resist the opportunity to point out Murrays half at Cincinatti with both Federer  and Nadal due to meet in it That's what happens when you are ranked no 5

Mmm. Fooling around in a doubles final where he and Colin Fleming have beaten established doubles players. If I'm not much mistaken Linstedt and Nestor have either won slams or been to the latter ends of slams, and Murray/Fleming beat them. Also, I can't resist pointing out that Andy needed match time, which he has now had. Of course, total waste of his time, silly boy Rolling Eyes.

If Fed and Nadal are due to meet in Cinci it means Andy can't play them both, so that's okay then.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6274 on: August 11, 2013, 01:54 PM »

Yep, it's pretty much assured now unless Nadal's injury reoccurs.

lol
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6275 on: August 11, 2013, 09:33 PM »

So that's Rafa played 2 hard court tournaments, both Masters and he's won them both. Lets hope Andy is not in his half of the draw for the USO. He's running away with the Race to London. Makes his 1st round exit at Wimbledon even more bizarre.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6276 on: August 12, 2013, 09:10 AM »

Mmm. Fooling around in a doubles final where he and Colin Fleming have beaten established doubles players. If I'm not much mistaken Linstedt and Nestor have either won slams or been to the latter ends of slams, and Murray/Fleming beat them. Also, I can't resist pointing out that Andy needed match time, which he has now had. Of course, total waste of his time, silly boy Rolling Eyes.

One hopes that its not been a waste of his time but if he gets knocked out in Round 2 at Cincinatti it might have been

If Fed and Nadal are due to meet in Cinci it means Andy can't play them both, so that's okay then.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6277 on: August 12, 2013, 11:46 AM »

Sorry my reply got tied up with your post Teejay  In life I have found that if you want to get to the very top you have to concentrate all your efforts on that and nothing else If however that is not your ambition you can enjoy, as one hopes Murray has done, playing stress free tennis with your friend
 and watch Nadal get ever closer to you in the rankings.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6278 on: August 12, 2013, 12:07 PM »

Sorry my reply got tied up with your post Teejay  In life I have found that if you want to get to the very top you have to concentrate all your efforts on that and nothing else If however that is not your ambition you can enjoy, as one hopes Murray has done, playing stress free tennis with your friend
 and watch Nadal get ever closer to you in the rankings.

It doesn't seem to me that right now Andy is focused on the rankings. He's done a very good job over the last two seasons of peaking for the slams and I expect he'll do the same at the USO. That's where he focuses the hardest - and his results and level of tennis in the slams reflect this.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6279 on: August 12, 2013, 12:35 PM »

bb: but what if playing 'stress free tennis with his friend' puts him in better shape for Cinci as well as USO by giving him match practice having gone out to an awkward opponent when he was still rusty?   I don't think we can assume Andy would have beaten Gulbis if he wasn't also committed to playing dubs.  I'm glad he did play dubs and that he supported Colin right through to the finals and didn't use an excuse such as his back to pull out and start preparing for cinci.  I think it's good he plays dubs every so often and helps hone his net skills if nothing else.

Andy has made quite clear he has decided to prioritise slams over getting to number 1.  It doesn't mean he doesn't care about the rankings but he, rightly in my view, argues that he'll focus on individual tournaments and let the rankings look after themselves. We don't want him doing a Ferrer and wearing himself and his back out playing every tournament in sight so as to maximise ranking points.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6280 on: August 12, 2013, 01:34 PM »

^ I agree absolutely Ruthie!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6281 on: August 12, 2013, 07:59 PM »

If Andy doesn't make the semis and Rafa wins Cincy then Rafa will be the new world number 2.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6282 on: August 12, 2013, 08:07 PM »

If Andy doesn't make the semis and Rafa wins Cincy then Rafa will be the new world number 2.
If Rafa doesn't make the semis and and Andy wins Cincy??????
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6283 on: August 12, 2013, 08:23 PM »

If Rafa has a good hard court season it'll happen anyway - if not at Cincy then in New York.  Andy is defending 2000 points - Rafa is defending none
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6284 on: August 12, 2013, 08:37 PM »

Don't you just love it though? exciting times ahead over the next few months
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 418 [419] 420 421 422 ... 581 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »