Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 417 418 419 [420] 421 422 423 ... 586 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 301349 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6285 on: August 12, 2013, 09:09 PM »

Don't you just love it though? exciting times ahead over the next few months
Exactly!  Who needs boring! 
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6286 on: August 12, 2013, 09:25 PM »

Forget about Nadal he's clearly going to over-take, Andy needs to keep his sight on Djokovic he can still easily beat him to year end no2

To get back ahead of Nadal, Andy will have to go on a good run at the clay next year.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6287 on: August 13, 2013, 09:37 AM »

Forget about Nadal he's clearly going to over-take, Andy needs to keep his sight on Djokovic he can still easily beat him to year end no2

To get back ahead of Nadal, Andy will have to go on a good run at the clay next year.

Quite that's why Andy needed to gather some extra points from Montreal
For hoping he has a good run on clay is beyond even his most besotted fan's dreams
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6288 on: August 13, 2013, 10:22 AM »

Andy's response to Colin when he asked him to play doubles was typical generous hearted Andy - helping out a friend and, at the same time, giving himself some much needed match practice. He didn't know he was going to lose to Gulbis at that time and, being Andy, he's well aware of Nadal coming up behind him. He probably knows that Nadal will take over No.2 unless he, Andy, manages to win everything in sight for the next few months. One thing about Andy which is totally endearing is his loyalty and caring attitude towards his friends. Weighing up the pros and cons, ambition-wise he is wiser to go for slams than strive for No.1 atm. and therefore his aims just now can be fully realised at the same time using his skills to join Colin in dubs, thus raising Colin's status in that field. I believe one of the winning pair told Andy that he felt it a privilege  to play on the same court (Daily Telegraph). Neither his high ranking or the fortune he has earned has touched the thoroughly decent young man Andy has grown to be. His friends still have a high priority in his life and I for one watch in growing admiration as he continues towards the very top of the tennis hierarchy. He will continue to succeed if he remains injury free and who knows where he is heading, still continuing as the super young man he is and I am sure he will continue to help out with dubs too when he is able to do so. Perhaps I am being a bit too 'rose-coloured spectacles' here but when I compare Andy to the poor little rich boy, Gulbis, I know a decent human being when I see one.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6289 on: August 13, 2013, 10:32 AM »

Nobody is arguing Andy is a thoroughly decent guy. But its his ranking we are discussing. As for overtaking Joker well I'll believe it when I see it. It looks as far away as ever to be honest. Despite having 2 majors to his name now I just cant see Andy getting above Joker in the immediate future unfortunately.  Given how Andy loses so much ground on the clay court season he had to have a really strong North American  hard court season to compensate. So far he's fallen well short and although he'll be totally up for the USO Im not expecting much from him at Cinny.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6290 on: August 13, 2013, 10:44 AM »

Andy's response to Colin when he asked him to play doubles was typical generous hearted Andy - helping out a friend and, at the same time, giving himself some much needed match practice. He didn't know he was going to lose to Gulbis at that time and, being Andy, he's well aware of Nadal coming up behind him. He probably knows that Nadal will take over No.2 unless he, Andy, manages to win everything in sight for the next few months. One thing about Andy which is totally endearing is his loyalty and caring attitude towards his friends. Weighing up the pros and cons, ambition-wise he is wiser to go for slams than strive for No.1 atm. and therefore his aims just now can be fully realised at the same time using his skills to join Colin in dubs, thus raising Colin's status in that field. I believe one of the winning pair told Andy that he felt it a privilege  to play on the same court (Daily Telegraph). Neither his high ranking or the fortune he has earned has touched the thoroughly decent young man Andy has grown to be. His friends still have a high priority in his life and I for one watch in growing admiration as he continues towards the very top of the tennis hierarchy. He will continue to succeed if he remains injury free and who knows where he is heading, still continuing as the super young man he is and I am sure he will continue to help out with dubs too when he is able to do so. Perhaps I am being a bit too 'rose-coloured spectacles' here but when I compare Andy to the poor little rich boy, Gulbis, I know a decent human being when I see one.
Great post Jan......I agree with every word!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6291 on: August 13, 2013, 11:17 AM »

Me too Jan.  Yes Bruno Suarez said that and he thanked Andy for sometimes playing dubs.  He came across as being totally sincere.  When they showed a replay of highlights of the match yesterday at the end they showed Andy going out of his way to say something to one of the opposition pair as they were leaving the net.  
well bignose, while not wanting to speak for Jan, I think she is saying that when considering the rankings, other things such as loyalty to friends are as important.  So seems totally relevant to me.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6292 on: August 13, 2013, 12:01 PM »

I agree you should still show respect to other players no matter who they are or what ranking they are. Andy is a nice young man and if he misbehaved when young I am sure his mum would have cuffed him round the ear.
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6293 on: August 13, 2013, 12:51 PM »

Well said, Jan, and yet another example of Andy daring to be different.  Because of his decision to partner Colin we were able to follow their brilliant run to the final in Montreal.  Those of us with Sky were richly rewarded for our Andy-driven subscriptions with an unexpected tea-time treat on Sunday - a fantastic effort by Sky to change their schedules to bring us the live final.

BBC, eat your heart out, this was a broadcaster responding to their viewership, not locking our Wimbledon Champ in a cupboard for fifty weeks of the year and throwing away the key!  Sky are true to their word - Marcus once told Andy when he wasn't quite sure about his schedule: 'If you're there, we're there.'

This is the Andy effect.  Sky know how important he is.  He brings so much more to the court than just being an amazing tennis player.  He goes about things in his own unique way and somehow makes what he does cool.  There was something very sporting and right about the proceedings on Sunday.  The newly-crowned Wimbledon Champion sticking around to partner his childhood friend against an elite pair in a Masters final.  Much respect and honour was evident.  Exactly what sport and sporting heroes are about.  So proud of Andy.

IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6294 on: August 13, 2013, 12:58 PM »

Re Clementine  The BBC did'nt even put up their version of "live" scores for the doubles match altho they did for the singles final
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6295 on: August 13, 2013, 01:03 PM »

But at least BBC have acknowledged the outcome on their website whereas here on MW there was no news item on our home page   Whistle - I found that rather odd I have to say.  We still have that awful lacklustre headline whereas we could have had a  more upbeat story about how well Andy and Colin had done in the dubs despite not winning the trophy.  Not complaining as the news team usually do us proud, but just think it's a shame.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6296 on: August 13, 2013, 01:10 PM »

You know what, I've argued and reasoned. I've looked at the race points, which has already been pointed out as not being the all important thing it's made out to be. I've also looked at how Andy has performed this year, in already having won one more title than last year, and I have reached a conclusion. I couldn't care less about his ranking and I'm not going to worry about it, which is rather like the man himself. If Andy loses the no.2 spot to Nadal at year end, and at this point in the year that is still an if, so what? If Andy loses the no.2 spot before, so what? Andy has demonstrated that he is capable of getting to no.2, therefore he is quite clearly capable of getting back there.

Just look at the last 12 months. Andy has been to four of the last five major finals and won two of them. He won the Olympic gold as well, and it's hardly Andy's fault that doesn't carry the points it should. In my book it should at least be the same as a Masters, but hey-ho. In addition, over the last 12 months Andy has been to the final of two Masters and won another, but if people want to persist in portraying him as some kind of inconsistent loser, who am I to stop them.

I love how BN suggests Andy has fallen far short in North America so far. Er, the top players have played one tournament, so excuse me if I don't start tearing my hair out. We don't know, and some of us don't pretend that we do, how Cincy will go, or the US Open. If you follow BN's line of thinking you could argue Djokovic has fallen short too. I mean, he won Toronto last year, and has failed to defend or even get to the final again. Novak, you naughty, naughty boy!

If Nadal does get back to no.1, again, a big if, I can definitely see Andy overtaking Djokovic to get to no.2. I know, some of you will laugh, some will pour scorn on that, but who looks the most convincing between Andy and Novak in the majors just now. A little clue, it isn't Novak. It seems quite obvious to me that Novak's confidence has had a knock, what with what happened at the French (surprise, surprise, Nadal won Rolling Eyes) and Wimbledon. Djokovic isn't Mr. Invincible now. The 'man of steel' has rusted. With all due respect, I don't think he likes having two of them snapping at his heels. It's not surprising.

I think we make a lot out of last week at our peril. Andy knew he would be short of match time at Montreal. He said exactly that. I'm sure he'll want a decent run at Cincy, but winning isn't vital. I think Andy is focused on the USO. Considering he is defending champion I can't say I blame him.

It seems quite clear to me that at the moment Andy is results focused, not ranking focused. He clearly wants to add to his major tally. Nothing wrong with that. It seems the right approach just now too.

As for the dubs, I do think Andy played to help Colin out first and foremost. I also think he feels a wider sense of responsibility towards the other Brits, not just those he considers mates. However, I don't think he was being totally selfless. I think he hoped to use it as more match time too, which it gave him. It was great to see them make the final. I didn't know Bruno Soares had said that about Andy. I must read the wrong things Smile. It's a lovely thing to say though.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6297 on: August 13, 2013, 01:15 PM »

I assume the dubs final was able to be shown because American TV showed it. Marcus did say earlier in the week that they were tied by what America showed because we see their pictures. That is a good point about the dubs final though. Then again, imagine the complaints they would have had if they hadn't shown it!

I agree with Ruthie, it was a bit of a shame we made no mention of the dubs final. I know it wasn't singles, but it was Andy playing in a tournament and having success. It would have been nice to have been able to mark that.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6298 on: August 13, 2013, 03:34 PM »

I think Andy is being misinterpreted somewhat, he says he will focus on slam wins more than getting to number 1, but not once as he said that he won't bother much with all the other events, he isn't daft.

Wth regards to Rafa, his current situation is a bit different to everyone else, he smells blood because unlike Novak and Andy he has no points to defend over the next 6 months and this fact alone is probably spurring him on.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6299 on: August 13, 2013, 03:53 PM »

has anyone actually said that gnome ie that he won't bother much with other events?   I agree it's all about priorities and Andy has made clear his main priority is more slams rather than chasing ranking points. And I agree re Rafa - a very comfortable position to be in with nothing to lose for the next few months.  And while he's probably too diplomatic to say it, he's probably irked by all the talk of the new rivalry being between Andy and Nole as if he were finished.  I think he'll also be wanting to put that one to bed.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 419 [420] 421 422 423 ... 586 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »