Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 421 422 423 [424] 425 426 427 ... 581 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 291695 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6345 on: August 17, 2013, 06:27 PM »

My own take on it is that Nadal spent 7 months out working on his game. I no longer buy into the knee issue in any way. I wouldn't accuse him of anything else without proof, but to me the way he is playing speaks volumes. He hasn't been sat around for the last 7 months waiting for his 'poorly knee' to get better. He's been working on his game.

I realise if I'm right that Nadal has done nothing illegal or immoral, or outside of the rules, but I do find the dishonesty hard to stomach. To be honest, I know the man is a mate of Andy's on some level, but I don't think Nadal would know the truth if it got up and bit him on the arse.

There we are, I've been idiotic as well. Fun, isn't it? Smile.

The more the merrier as far as I am concerned...!!! Your explanation, in the absence of concrete evidence, is very plausible. Equally I remain convinced that Nadal is tennis's very own Lance Armstrong. At some point, somebody will out him. When that happens, even though it might mean Federer acquires yet more titles, I will cheer. When he does retire he has an assured future as a politician - he already has the required credentials, a very elastic concept of the truth, and advanced bullshitting skills:-)
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6346 on: August 17, 2013, 06:55 PM »

I'm still not convinced Nadal will go deep into a hard court slam, which is best of five sets. Best of five is totally different to best of three.

To me his good run at Montreal and Cincy feels like the clay season. We all know what happend at Wimbledon.

I'm not going to worry about Andy's ranking yet. He won the USO ranked (effectively, the ranking didn't change to three until the day after the final) four in the world last year, and as the 4th seed. His form, albeit for good reason, like this year, was also worse going into the USO last year, having withdrawn in Toronto after his second round match, and lost in Cincy in the third round to Chardy.

Andy can't regain the points at the USO, but I don't think it is a given that he won't defend them. I'll worry about him not doing that when and if he doesn't.

There is a lot of the year left. My feeling is that Andy has his eyes on the USO defence, and also the WTF. In between is Asia, where Andy plays consistently well.

Based on nothing, I have a feeling that Nadal will finish the year at no.1, Andy will go back to two, and Djokovic will finish at three. I just feel that Djokovic looks less confident than Andy just now and I can't see that going away any time soon.

Tj your reasoning holds much sense and we will have to see what happens and please don't leave. You seem to know a good deal about tennis and I don't I just love watching and learning as I go along and you have added greatly to my enjoyment, but then so do many other people on here.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6347 on: August 17, 2013, 07:11 PM »

He can gain points during the Asian swing surely as he didn't win there last year.

Think Andy will focus pretty well on Asian swing. Although he has mentioned improving consistency at non slam events , I suspect he doesn't necessarily mean going all out at the ones immediatey prior to slams as he wants to time his form and not peak too soon (Queens being an exception as it is at home and on grass which they get little chance for match play on).
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6348 on: August 17, 2013, 07:24 PM »

Given for reason's explained elsewhere, I seriously question the validity of Nadal's achievements this year. In my own personal rankings list I am going to ignore Nadal. I appreciate that won't alter the seedings, but if the official end of year rankings are RN/AM/ND, as far as I am concerned Murray will have reached the number 1 spot.

This is undoubtedly a completely idiotic post, but that's how I feel.

Well Im certainly not going to disagree with the last sentence.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6349 on: August 17, 2013, 07:51 PM »

Well Im certainly not going to disagree with the last sentence.

good post
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6350 on: August 17, 2013, 08:00 PM »

As has already been stated, Andy is currently the 2nd most succesful player on tour this year with 4 titles, Rafa has 8 but 4 of those were vultured 250/500 events on his comeback, both have won 1 slam the only difference is Rafa has been very succesful in the masters with 4, but then 3 were clay so again not entirely unexpected.

There is plenty of the season to go, and let's face it Rafa is head and shoulders above EVERYONE not just Murray, with what is historically the best part of the season for him coming up, he can make what is already a very good year for him even better.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6351 on: August 17, 2013, 09:05 PM »

SORE KNEES.    Aye right. 

Watch  Rafa tank the rest of the season off, after the USO. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6352 on: August 17, 2013, 09:14 PM »

SORE KNEES.    Aye right.  

Watch  Rafa tank the rest of the season off, after the USO.  

Have the USO off as well Rafa lad, just to make sure. Then come back in time for Wimbledon. Dan Evans could qualify, in which case I bet he'd love to knock you out in round one. Smile.

Oh I'm a terrible person!
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6353 on: August 17, 2013, 09:23 PM »

Have the USO off as well Rafa lad, just to make sure. Then come back in time for Wimbledon. Dan Evans could qualify, in which case I bet he'd love to knock you out in round one. Smile.

Oh I'm a terrible person!

Love the idea of Dan Evans doing the knocking out Teejay.  Oh and if your a terrible person so am I.   
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6354 on: August 17, 2013, 11:09 PM »

Dan's was the only name that came to mind, but I'd love it Smile.

I don't mind admitting it, I've gone off Nadal. I don't hate him, but I don't like him either. He brings out the worst in me lately!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6355 on: August 18, 2013, 10:30 AM »

Dan's was the only name that came to mind, but I'd love it Smile.

I don't mind admitting it, I've gone off Nadal. I don't hate him, but I don't like him either. He brings out the worst in me lately!
I used to like Nadal until I cottoned on to his 'gamesmanship'! That's cheating in my book and I can't stand cheats!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6356 on: August 18, 2013, 11:46 AM »

Rafa's going to have a ton of points to defend next year, let him have the number 2 spot, he's currently playing with abandon knowing he's gaining points and defending none right now, many people have him as a shoe in for the USO but i'm still unconvinced he can last 7 matches over 5 sets, he was looking quite jaded against Berdych.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6357 on: August 18, 2013, 11:55 AM »

Rafa's going to have a ton of points to defend next year

A ton of points at a lot of different events. He's also got 2000 points available at the Australian Open, 1000 points available at Miami and 1990 points available at Wimbledon.

Doing well at a large number of events results in a ranking that is more secure than doing really well at a much smaller selection of events. Murray's ranking by contrast is vulnerable to him losing early at one of a few big events - 60% of his points come from just three events. This is a natural consequence of his apparent focus on winning slams at the exclusion of all other events.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6358 on: August 18, 2013, 12:08 PM »

I am sure that Lendl is behind Andy's strategy.  The tactics in this era have to be different than in Lendl's time as the game has changed and become more physical and they have to play more tournaments than he did.  I believe in a interview he said exactly that. 
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6359 on: August 18, 2013, 12:41 PM »

A ton of points at a lot of different events. He's also got 2000 points available at the Australian Open, 1000 points available at Miami and 1990 points available at Wimbledon.

Doing well at a large number of events results in a ranking that is more secure than doing really well at a much smaller selection of events. Murray's ranking by contrast is vulnerable to him losing early at one of a few big events - 60% of his points come from just three events. This is a natural consequence of his apparent focus on winning slams at the exclusion of all other events.

This is exactly what is concerning me
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 423 [424] 425 426 427 ... 581 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »