Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 1 Member and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 422 423 424 [425] 426 427 428 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 328496 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6360 on: August 18, 2013, 01:34 PM »

I can't believe that Andy would deliberately lose in the smaller tournaments, but if anyone has put it into his head that they are not important, then that's got to be the stupidest thing I have heard in a very long time! If he isn't doing his best in the masters to the extent that he's going out to people he has no business losing to, then he's not going to get the kind of hard practice that he 'needs' in preparation for the slams! Also, what kind of message is he sending out? "No need to be scared of Andy Murray guys, anybody stands a chance against him!" The other thing that worried me, was that he wasn't bothering to shave! Now I don't give a monkeys what he looks like, but it's the 'mindset' that bothers me! I believe the message he should be sending out to his opponent should be 'I'm here and I'm ready for business' rather than 'I've just got out of bed!' If that's the plan to 'concentrate on the slams', then it seems to be 'the exact opposite' of Nadal's strategy! He's going out to win everything in  bloody sight! I'll bet not many players are looking forward to facing him at Flushing Meadows! Rant over!  Whistle
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6361 on: August 18, 2013, 01:35 PM »

Rafa's going to have a ton of points to defend next year, let him have the number 2 spot, he's currently playing with abandon knowing he's gaining points and defending none right now, many people have him as a shoe in for the USO but i'm still unconvinced he can last 7 matches over 5 sets, he was looking quite jaded against Berdych.

Gnome will you marry me? That's exactly my argument. I hope we are both right.

I agree with the thing about Nadal playing with abandon because has nothing to defend. Let's see what he's like when the heat is on, because Andy, and of course Djokovic, are not going away. Anyone would think that Nadal will be the only one winning anything next year judging by the way some talk. I don't see that at all.

Strategies can change over time. I think for now Andy is right to focus on his results, not his ranking. He could run around playing events to bump his ranking up, but that makes no sense to me. I think we need to see the whole year before we see where Andy's points come from. I'm convinced that next year Andy will do even better in the Masters as well as the slams. I just feel he is still learning how to deal with winning the slams. He'll get the hang of it.

Looking at the race, people will bang on about how close Ferrer is to Andy. I wonder if they've looked at how close Andy is to Djokovic? There is not much between them at all. I still feel Andy will finish the year back at no.2, even if Nadal is no.1.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6362 on: August 18, 2013, 01:40 PM »

I agree backhandslice were have his sore knees gone? I used to like Nadal but I think his arrogance has become more pronounced since he came back I to wonder how he seems to be bigger and stronger.He himself has said he doesn't work out in the gym. Questions need to be asked about that and more drug test done without any warning.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6363 on: August 18, 2013, 01:40 PM »

Gnome will you marry me? That's exactly my argument. I hope we are both right.

I agree with the thing about Nadal playing with abandon because has nothing to defend. Let's see what he's like when the heat is on, because Andy, and of course Djokovic, are not going away. Anyone would think that Nadal will be the only one winning anything next year judging by the way some talk. I don't see that at all.

Strategies can change over time. I think for now Andy is right to focus on his results, not his ranking. He could run around playing events to bump his ranking up, but that makes no sense to me. I think we need to see the whole year before we see where Andy's points come from. I'm convinced that next year Andy will do even better in the Masters as well as the slams. I just feel he is still learning how to deal with winning the slams. He'll get the hang of it.

Looking at the race, people will bang on about how close Ferrer is to Andy. I wonder if they've looked at how close Andy is to Djokovic? There is not much between them at all. I still feel Andy will finish the year back at no.2, even if Nadal is no.1.
I do hope you're right TJ, because I'd hate to think Andy might lose out in the USO as well as Montreal and Cinnci! To my mind, Andy's last tough match was Wimbledon!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6364 on: August 18, 2013, 01:43 PM »

I am sure that Lendl is behind Andy's strategy.  The tactics in this era have to be different than in Lendl's time as the game has changed and become more physical and they have to play more tournaments than he did.  I believe in a interview he said exactly that. 

I think you'll find that they don't have to play more tournaments now than in Lendl's day. McEnroe has spoken of what the tour was like then and he has said they played more, a lot more in many cases.

What has changed is the physicality of the game. That's why it makes sense to pick and choose what to play and try to work out when you need to peak. In this physical era you can't play at your peak all the time without risking injury and simply wearing yourself out. Knowing when you need to peak has to be the key.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6365 on: August 18, 2013, 01:56 PM »

I think you'll find that they don't have to play more tournaments now than in Lendl's day. McEnroe has spoken of what the tour was like then and he has said they played more, a lot more in many cases.

What has changed is the physicality of the game. That's why it makes sense to pick and choose what to play and try to work out when you need to peak. In this physical era you can't play at your peak all the time without risking injury and simply wearing yourself out. Knowing when you need to peak has to be the key.
That makes sense TJ, as long as having chosen which ones will benifit you most, you 'put your all' into winning them!
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6366 on: August 18, 2013, 02:05 PM »

I agree backhandslice were have his sore knees gone? I used to like Nadal but I think his arrogance has become more pronounced since he came back I to wonder how he seems to be bigger and stronger.He himself has said he doesn't work out in the gym. Questions need to be asked about that and more drug test done without any warning.
Did anyone see the return Rafa made to Federer when he was practically kneeling on the floor to get the shot back?  I thought he had difficulty bending down to return shots!! Something is very suspicious!!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6367 on: August 18, 2013, 02:08 PM »

Did anyone see the return Rafa made to Federer when he was practically kneeling on the floor to get the shot back?  I thought he had difficulty bending down to return shots!! Something is very suspicious!!
That must be the understatement of the year Iris!  Whistle
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6368 on: August 18, 2013, 02:11 PM »

That must be the understatement of the year Iris!  Whistle
Just an observation........ha!!!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6369 on: August 18, 2013, 02:17 PM »

I can't believe that Andy would deliberately lose in the smaller tournaments, but if anyone has put it into his head that they are not important, then that's got to be the stupidest thing I have heard in a very long time! If he isn't doing his best in the masters to the extent that he's going out to people he has no business losing to, then he's not going to get the kind of hard practice that he 'needs' in preparation for the slams! Also, what kind of message is he sending out? "No need to be scared of Andy Murray guys, anybody stands a chance against him!" The other thing that worried me, was that he wasn't bothering to shave! Now I don't give a monkeys what he looks like, but it's the 'mindset' that bothers me! I believe the message he should be sending out to his opponent should be 'I'm here and I'm ready for business' rather than 'I've just got out of bed!' If that's the plan to 'concentrate on the slams', then it seems to be 'the exact opposite' of Nadal's strategy! He's going out to win everything in  bloody sight! I'll bet not many players are looking forward to facing him at Flushing Meadows! Rant over!  Whistle

Oh now hang on a minute Caz. Andy lost to Delpo in Indian Wells. Delpo was hot that week. He beat Djokovic as well. Still, Andy did better there than for two years, reaching the quarters.

Andy won Miami, not Djokovic, not Federer, not flippin' Nadal, but Andy.

The clay season is tough for Andy, we know that. It is the period where he is most vulnerable. He also has a back injury that makes the clay tough for him. Still, he got to the quarters in Madrid. Bloody Berdych!!

There is no grass Masters. Shame really. Guess who would have won if there had been......

That brings us to Montreal and Cincy. Andy did better in both than last year. He had been out for a month before Montreal. He knew he would be below his best, but got to the Cincy quarters anyway.

With another Masters to go in Shanghai, where Andy has a stunning record, we'll see. My money is on him for that one. Final last year and had match points, won it the previous two years. Shocking Andy love, you're not even trying are you????

Shaving or not is nothing to do with winning or losing. Simple as that. I can't believe anyone would suggest seriously that it is.

As Gnome pointed out, Andy and Djokovic have won the same number of Masters this year, so let's not suggest Andy is somehow the only one with his eye off the ball.

I don't agree that the last tough match Andy played was Wimbledon. Just because he made beating Youzhny and Benneteau look easy, it does not follow that it is. Gulbis can push most on his day, as Nadal will verify this year. Andy was just caught cold. Berdych, when in form or when the opponent is not Djokovic or Nadal, is tough. Two breaks of serve though, just two. If Andy had been at his best I have no doubt he would have won. To be honest I think implying that anyone outside of the very top players is easy to beat, or hard to lose to, is a bit disrespectful. In this era, like it or not, the top 100 or so is littered with talent, who can knock off a top player if they are below their best. The difference is that unlike the very best players, Andy, Djokovic and Nadal now, these lower ranked players can not get the match wins week in, week out. The top players, including Andy, do.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6370 on: August 18, 2013, 02:18 PM »

That makes sense TJ, as long as having chosen which ones will benifit you most, you 'put your all' into winning them!

Ahhh, so Andy wasn't trying! I bet he thought he was. I did too.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6371 on: August 18, 2013, 03:07 PM »

[/quote]
Ahhh, so Andy wasn't trying! I bet he thought he was. I did too.
Oh now hang on a minute Caz. Andy lost to Delpo in Indian Wells. Delpo was hot that week. He beat Djokovic as well. Still, Andy did better there than for two years, reaching the quarters.

Andy won Miami, not Djokovic, not Federer, not flippin' Nadal, but Andy.

The clay season is tough for Andy, we know that. It is the period where he is most vulnerable. He also has a back injury that makes the clay tough for him. Still, he got to the quarters in Madrid. Bloody Berdych!!

There is no grass Masters. Shame really. Guess who would have won if there had been......

That brings us to Montreal and Cincy. Andy did better in both than last year. He had been out for a month before Montreal. He knew he would be below his best, but got to the Cincy quarters anyway.

With another Masters to go in Shanghai, where Andy has a stunning record, we'll see. My money is on him for that one. Final last year and had match points, won it the previous two years. Shocking Andy love, you're not even trying are you????

Shaving or not is nothing to do with winning or losing. Simple as that. I can't believe anyone would suggest seriously that it is.

As Gnome pointed out, Andy and Djokovic have won the same number of Masters this year, so let's not suggest Andy is somehow the only one with his eye off the ball.

I don't agree that the last tough match Andy played was Wimbledon. Just because he made beating Youzhny and Benneteau look easy, it does not follow that it is. Gulbis can push most on his day, as Nadal will verify this year. Andy was just caught cold. Berdych, when in form or when the opponent is not Djokovic or Nadal, is tough. Two breaks of serve though, just two. If Andy had been at his best I have no doubt he would have won. To be honest I think implying that anyone outside of the very top players is easy to beat, or hard to lose to, is a bit disrespectful. In this era, like it or not, the top 100 or so is littered with talent, who can knock off a top player if they are below their best. The difference is that unlike the very best players, Andy, Djokovic and Nadal now, these lower ranked players can not get the match wins week in, week out. The top players, including Andy, do.

Firstly TJ, I'm only talking about the 'last two weeks'! He had a marvelous year up until then! Neither am I suggesting that either his Youzhny or his Benneteau matches were 'easy', but they didn't exactly manage to 'push' him too hard either! Thirdly, what worries me was the 'mental' aspect......not a concious thing! I think if the umpire hadn't made that extremly 'bad' decision during the Berdych match, then Andy would have broken and 'gone on to win'! Quite understandably he had a go at the umpire, but when it became obvious that he was getting nowhere, instead of putting it behind him, it affected the rest of the match! This is the first time in a long while, that I've seen him react this way. It was like going back to the bad old days, when he unable to leave the lost points behind and move on! I've got so used to seeing him lately, being able to leave it and get on with the job, that it came as something of a shock when he was unable to get back on track! It's my feeling that he lost the match at that point! As far as the shaving is concerned, as I already said, I don't give a monkeys, but that's something else that he hasn't been doing for a long time, so what's different this time......'mindset'.....that's the difference! Now I'm not bothered that he didn't win Montreal or Cincy. He's given us a fantastic year and we can't expect him to win everything, but I wish he'd have gone further, because I think perhaps he hasn't had enough preparation for Flushing Meadows. That's the important thing......more to Andy than to me I might add! That's my opinion!  
[ Last edit by Caz August 18, 2013, 03:17 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6372 on: August 18, 2013, 04:21 PM »

Caz his preparation for Flushing Meadows last year was worse than this year and he still won the USO.

I think the whole environment made it tough against Berdych. Berdych can hit through Andy for a start. Andy openly admitted to making too many errors on his groundstrokes. I also feel that being on what was effectively an outside court didn't help matters. Seriously, the no.2 in the world playing the no.6 in the world and it was on an outside court. The atmosphere, which rightly or wrongly Andy feeds off, wasn't there, apart from the loud, distracting music from the main court.

I just think it was just not there for Andy against Berdych in Cincy. He started well, but it just got away. In a best if three it's hard to recover if it goes pear-shaped. Andy will know what he needs to work on before the USO and he will be ready for it.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6373 on: August 18, 2013, 04:38 PM »

Caz his preparation for Flushing Meadows last year was worse than this year and he still won the USO.

I think the whole environment made it tough against Berdych. Berdych can hit through Andy for a start. Andy openly admitted to making too many errors on his groundstrokes. I also feel that being on what was effectively an outside court didn't help matters. Seriously, the no.2 in the world playing the no.6 in the world and it was on an outside court. The atmosphere, which rightly or wrongly Andy feeds off, wasn't there, apart from the loud, distracting music from the main court.

I just think it was just not there for Andy against Berdych in Cincy. He started well, but it just got away. In a best if three it's hard to recover if it goes pear-shaped. Andy will know what he needs to work on before the USO and he will be ready for it.

I think you are right tj.    Andy should not have been so affected by the noise etc. but I did have the feeling that things were against him.     One problem is distracting but when you add in others, including the umpire's decision, it becomes too much.    Even Berdych said he found the loud music distracting and I would hazard a guess that he is a less sensitive soul than our Andy.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6374 on: August 18, 2013, 04:39 PM »

I read somewhere that they did not have so many compulsory tournies.  I did not say that they did not play so many.  They were able to forego some of them without penalty.  Maybe I misunderstood but I fail to see how.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 424 [425] 426 427 428 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »