Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 429 430 431 [432] 433 434 435 ... 586 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 300862 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6465 on: September 02, 2013, 12:19 PM »

Yesterday Ist Sept Teejay stated that she felt that there was too much fussing re Ferrer's proximity to Murray in the rankings She also stated that there was 1000 points between them therefore there was no danger
 Today Sept 2nd the table reads Murray 6880 points to Ferrer's 6670  To me that's a difference of 210 points not a thousand Please could she explain her thinking. Meanwhile I'm watching Ferrer like a hawk

Is it the live-tennis.eu rankings you're looking at Benniebone? If so, they're the live rankings which have last year's USO points taken off and this year's points added - so that's why Ferrer is closer than he is in the rankings on the ATP site.

As I understand it, I think Ferrer has to do better than Andy at the USO to pass him. Ferrer's not going to get past the SF imo, so I think Andy will be safe for now. The only danger would be if Andy loses to Berdych - but I don't think he will.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6466 on: September 02, 2013, 12:30 PM »

Many thanks Katie for your explanation ,Yes it is the live-tennis.eu rankings I've looked at.
 I join you in hoping Murray beats Berdych and will be a much happier benniebone if and  when he does
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6467 on: September 02, 2013, 12:42 PM »

Many thanks Katie for your explanation ,Yes it is the live-tennis.eu rankings I've looked at.
 I join you in hoping Murray beats Berdych and will be a much happier benniebone if and  when he does

No problem. Smile I'm pretty confident he will beat Berdych - I think the 5-set format will help Andy, and he usually gets the better of Berdych on hardcourts.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6468 on: September 02, 2013, 04:06 PM »

BB I was looking at the ATP rankings, which presently has Andy well clear of Ferrer. My maths is bad, but it's not that bad w00t. I rarely look at the live rankings because they don't really come into play until the end of the year.

I just don't see Ferrer going beyond the semi's, which is what he needs to do to increase his points, so as much as I like him, I don't see him as a threat to Andy.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6469 on: September 02, 2013, 05:53 PM »

Teejay,nice to hear from you again I now understand where you are coming from. I just hope you are proved right with your prophecies  However having sat through the first set of Andy's match against L Mayer I still fear that there could be  a time when he won't be able  to rescue a match and that's when he needs some points so that a lost match does'nt prove to be disastrous,
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6470 on: September 02, 2013, 05:57 PM »

The Live Rankings can be useful during the year to work out what might happen after the current tournament (live rankings as opposed to year to date rankings), and it has Ferrer as being 210 points behind, so he would over-take Andy if he gets 211 points more than Andy during the US Open.  If he gets to the semis, and Andy is knocked out at the quarter-finals, he'd over-take.  He has an easier run, so I'd expect him to get that far if he's playing reasonably well.

There's been loads of talk of how Nadal missed the Australian Open, but in reality, he replaced that with tournament in the South American clay-court swing, and earned more points there than he would have done if he'd got to the Aus Open semis.  Meanwhile, Andy missed the whole of the French and withdrew from Rome before he had the chance to earn any points, so he's the one missing a chunk of points that he didn't replace with alternative tournaments.  It shouldn't be a surprise to have Ferrer breathing down his shoulder, especially with his finalist points from the French included.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6471 on: September 02, 2013, 07:21 PM »

Andy still has the most points since the French Open. So his best shot at getting to no. 1 is after the French next year.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6472 on: September 03, 2013, 06:34 AM »

Well, goes to show that Murray really shouldn't have dicked around in Montreal / Cincy. Berdych - Djokovic - Nadal or Robredo - Ferrer - Nadal. Which would you prefer?

Good chance Murray ends the year #5 now.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6473 on: September 03, 2013, 07:00 AM »

If he does won't be for long yay
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6474 on: September 03, 2013, 08:08 AM »

Well, goes to show that Murray really shouldn't have dicked around in Montreal / Cincy. Berdych - Djokovic - Nadal or Robredo - Ferrer - Nadal. Which would you prefer?

Don't be so pessimistic, he won't drop that far. hug Also I can't understand this worry about ranking, I'm sure Lendl and Andy are not.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6475 on: September 03, 2013, 08:18 AM »

Andy has a bigger lead over Ferrer in the Year to Date/Race rankings than he does over the regular, annual one, and and even bigger lead over Berdych, so I'm not sure where this Year End panic is coming from.

It's very tempting to fret about "what ifs" and if you are that way inclined, to berate Andy for under-performing in any given tournament, but that's exactly why it's unhealthy to obsess over them.  Andy stating that he's not obsessing about rankings doesn't mean he is deliberately doing badly in smaller tournaments to prove the point. lol
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6476 on: September 03, 2013, 08:39 AM »

If Nadal beats Ferrer then Andy is safe at third place isn't he? Ferrer never beats Nadal!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6477 on: September 03, 2013, 09:55 AM »

Where does this come from?
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6478 on: September 03, 2013, 10:09 AM »

Don't really care if he does. Given there are 3 or 4 possible dopers in that lot, I think I the rankings are meaningless at the moment.

Murray has reached No 2 fair and square, if he never reaches No 1 so be it.

Personally I would rather have Murray at whatever ranking with the Olympic Gold Medal, Last years US Open, and this year's Wimbledon, on his record, than No 1 but have achieved it by playing endless little tournaments to accrue points.

When their careers are finished, assuming neither of them wins anything else, who will be deemed to have been the most successful Murray or Ferrer?

I will stick with Murray.  Just my opinion.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6479 on: September 03, 2013, 10:35 AM »

Murray is almost 1000 points ahead of Ferrer in the 'Race' and that gauges performance over this year. Andy has only been in 13 tournys whilst Ferrer has been in 17. The race is the best indicator of how their year is going.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 431 [432] 433 434 435 ... 586 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »