Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 434 435 436 [437] 438 439 440 ... 536 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray's Ranking  (Read 261547 times)
rob92
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6540 on: September 06, 2013, 02:47 PM »

Andy needs to start winning again else I fear the press will be referring to the Big 2 from now on. With Fed's demise the big 4 is dead. And if Andy keeps playing like he has been there won't be a big 3 either.
Get a grip
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6541 on: September 06, 2013, 04:44 PM »

Andy needs to start winning again else I fear the press will be referring to the Big 2 from now on. With Fed's demise the big 4 is dead. And if Andy keeps playing like he has been there won't be a big 3 either.
well we know how fickle the media are.  The minute Rafa is out of the picture it's all about Andy and Nole being the next big rivalry; the minute he's back it changes again.  Let's not take these labels too seriously.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6542 on: September 06, 2013, 06:35 PM »

If being number 2 or 3 in the rankings involves deploying the suspect practices utilised by Kneedal and Djokovic, regardless of whether that involves doping. I would rather he was No 4. Being close to Nadal, a player whose behaviour stinks to high heaven at the moment, is not somewhere I personally would want Murray to be. At worse Kneedal is a highly competent doper, at best he is a simple cheat. Whatever the reason for his absence, I think we can all safely say his knees had nothing to do with it. He was therefore absent from the tour under false pretences.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6543 on: September 06, 2013, 06:39 PM »

can someone confirm that Andy has qualified for WTF?  I'm sure someone said he had a few days ago but Croft was talking about him wanting to qualify for it.  I'm assuming it was yet another example of her ignorance but thought I'd double check.
IP Logged
rob92
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6544 on: September 06, 2013, 06:41 PM »

can someone confirm that Andy has qualified for WTF?  I'm sure someone said he had a few days ago but Croft was talking about him wanting to qualify for it.  I'm assuming it was yet another example of her ignorance but thought I'd double check.
http://live-tennis.eu/race
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6545 on: September 06, 2013, 06:41 PM »

He would have well qualified for the WTF even if he went out 1st round.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6546 on: September 06, 2013, 06:43 PM »

thanks rob and laundry, that's good to know.  Really the mistakes that Croft makes are unbelievable for a professional commentator.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6547 on: September 06, 2013, 07:23 PM »

I don't think the number 1 spot is anything but a window of opportunity for players, Djokovic did it in 2011 due to his below par 2010 season (for him anyway) winning no majors at all and which culminated with that DC victory that propelled him to go on a spree in 2011, Nadal similarly this year is also defending no points at all and this has obviously inspired his performances over the last 6 months, combined with his 7 month hiatus from the game in which it's becoming clear the knee story was a smoke screen for his game evolving into what it is now, you'd have to be blind not to notice his new aggressive approach on hardcourts and his improved serve.

If Andy was ever going to go for the number 1 spot, even if it was only short lived, i would say that 2014 might be the year to try for it, it all depends on the AO, if he can somehow grab that title it might be the catalyst for a stronger showing on clay, he could probably put in another strong showing at Wimbledon and then make up lots of points in the US swing, as he's lost early in all events.

Wether he actually goes for it though will remain to be seen.
[ Last edit by The Gnome September 06, 2013, 09:26 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6548 on: September 06, 2013, 09:05 PM »

Silly cow, and I don't mean you Ruthie, I mean Tennis Barbie. If the woman had a brain she'd be lethal.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6549 on: September 06, 2013, 09:22 PM »

I don't wish to sound bitter, but I am really angry about Nadal. In my book it will be a total travesty if he wins the USO. He was clearly absent from the tour under false pretences. As you all know, I'm not a technical expert in the game, but even I can see the changes in his game. Thank you Gnome, for the confirmation that his serve has improved. I thought so.

I just think Nadal has insulted anyone who has been out for a sustained period. Look at Delpo for example, how he has worked to come back. Look at Robin Soderling too. He's been ill for ages, and though we know he is going to try to come back, it will surely be tough for him. Nadal can spend months out, his team giving out contradictory statements left and right, which is an indication of a strained relationship with the truth shall we say, and then he comes back and has made such clear changes to his game that even I can see it.

As for Andy, if, as he suggested, he has had a problem with getting motivated since winning Wimbledon, an idea I do understand, I wonder if he would do well to initially set himself a short term achievable target, say winning Japan or the Shanghai Masters again? I read a piece where Becket (yes, that one) suggested he focus on the AO, but that is months away yet. I wonder if he needs to break the end of this year down, one event at a time and set himself targets.

Does that make any sense?
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6550 on: September 06, 2013, 09:29 PM »

I don't wish to sound bitter, but I am really angry about Nadal. In my book it will be a total travesty if he wins the USO. He was clearly absent from the tour under false pretences. As you all know, I'm not a technical expert in the game, but even I can see the changes in his game. Thank you Gnome, for the confirmation that his serve has improved. I thought so.

I just think Nadal has insulted anyone who has been out for a sustained period. Look at Delpo for example, how he has worked to come back. Look at Robin Soderling too. He's been ill for ages, and though we know he is going to try to come back, it will surely be tough for him. Nadal can spend months out, his team giving out contradictory statements left and right, which is an indication of a strained relationship with the truth shall we say, and then he comes back and has made such clear changes to his game that even I can see it.

As for Andy, if, as he suggested, he has had a problem with getting motivated since winning Wimbledon, an idea I do understand, I wonder if he would do well to initially set himself a short term achievable target, say winning Japan or the Shanghai Masters again? I read a piece where Becket (yes, that one) suggested he focus on the AO, but that is months away yet. I wonder if he needs to break the end of this year down, one event at a time and set himself targets.

No. Nadal has been amazing all summer, the least he deserves is this US Open win. He wasn't absent under false pretences for the billionth time, he was born an athlete and that's what he is doing now, being an athlete. Nadal has always been this good but now competition is weak and the ATP is in a rough patch, Nadal is taking advantage of that and is able to sustain his form because no one is fit enough to conquer him. Totally deserved win. No two ways about it.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6551 on: September 06, 2013, 09:36 PM »

It does yeah, one thing that really annoyed me with the USO coverage was having to listen to the US comms go on and on about his demeanour on court, constantly putting it down as if they never saw him play before, only Luke Jensen was defending it saying it's just the way he plays against idiot no names like Jimmy Arias (tennis expert) and Taylor Dent saying that now he's won Wimbledon why doesn't he just play every match with total abandon and wear a surgically implanted massive grin on his face all the time.

Firstly, do you ever see Nadal, Djoko or any other tennis player for that matter play a match with a perpetual joker style smile on their face? secondly are they seriously suggesting that Andy should just change his entire personality to appease the US audience as they were suggesting? his on court antics are what keeps him hungry and striving for perfection, it's ok for Nadal to look like a lottery winner who has lost the ticket when he loses a point but no not Andy.

Strangely enough it's been the Ladies that have defended him the most, people like Lindsey Davenport & Martina have nothing but good words to say about him, maybe Andy brings out the mothering instinct in them i don't know, i have heard him called Mandy before in a derogative manner which suggests that people liken his antics to the WTA due to the drama, but i find that both insulting to him and the WTA to be honest.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6552 on: September 06, 2013, 10:29 PM »

You always make sense.........but I'd go further and wonder if Andy should actually take the rest of the year off  - rest, recuperate etc etc etc.  His planned schedule for the next 2 months worries me.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6553 on: September 06, 2013, 10:48 PM »

So what you are basically saying is that one is forbidden to improve one's gamestyle? So what if Nadal takes 7 months out just to improve his gamestyle, at least he recognises that he needs to change his game to stay with the best. Good on him. I don't know what your problem with Nadal/Federer is, but its becoming really irritating and its even more annoying that you ask others if you make sense just so that they mildly agree with you. Take this spam somewhere else, you and Masaka have become one dimensional posters.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6554 on: September 06, 2013, 11:29 PM »

So what you are basically saying is that one is forbidden to improve one's gamestyle? So what if Nadal takes 7 months out just to improve his gamestyle, at least he recognises that he needs to change his game to stay with the best. Good on him. I don't know what your problem with Nadal/Federer is, but its becoming really irritating and its even more annoying that you ask others if you make sense just so that they mildly agree with you. Take this spam somewhere else, you and Masaka have become one dimensional posters.

If it was OK for Nadal to take 7 months off to improve his game style he would have said I am taking 7 months off to improve my game style.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 436 [437] 438 439 440 ... 536 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »