Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 437 438 439 [440] 441 442 443 ... 593 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 313064 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6585 on: September 07, 2013, 12:36 AM »

so then it's not "career threatening" like it's been repeatedly called.

what do you think prompted his change in attitude toward hard courts? or his changed game? it's quite noticeable.

He didn't want to take any risks that might end his career, it's like saying you don't want to jump from a diving board or something because you are afraid of breaking your neck, but when you do it and everything is OK, you become more confident in your ability to do it again and again.

IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6586 on: September 07, 2013, 12:38 AM »

many think it's cheating or at least disingenuous to say you have a "career threatening injury" but then to spend that hiatus actually retooling your game for an assault on hard courts.

many players could be served well by 7 months off to practice and hone their games. but can a player just pull out of competition to do that?

Yes, its not against the rules, it would be like taking a holiday or something from work.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6587 on: September 07, 2013, 12:38 AM »

what do you mean he didn't want to take any risks - like what? are you saying it's not a "career threatening injury then" but that he just thinks it is?
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6588 on: September 07, 2013, 12:38 AM »

Yes, its not against the rules, it would be like taking a holiday or something from work.

except they didn't say they were taking a break from the game. they said nadal was seriously injured.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6589 on: September 07, 2013, 12:40 AM »

what do you mean he didn't want to take any risks - like what? are you saying it's not a "career threatening injury then" but that he just thinks it is?

He didn't want to re-aggrevate the knee injury, so he originally dispelled hard courts. But maybe he began practicing on it to see what it was like and he found it OK, so after trying not to take a risk, he decided that he really should.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6590 on: September 07, 2013, 12:41 AM »

No I haven't implied that, don't twist things. I don't see it as cheating, no, because he was genuinely injured, all I said was that it wouldn't be wrong if he did take 7 months off without informing anyone to work on his game, I didn't even suggest THAT is what he was up to.

You are assuming he was genuinely injured, you don't know for sure and neither do I.    You "don't see it as cheating".    Is that the same as "he was not cheating" or is there a subtle difference?     
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6591 on: September 07, 2013, 12:42 AM »

except they didn't say they were taking a break from the game. they said nadal was seriously injured.

Yes exactly, but you obviously haven't read the discussion properly to know that I didn't actually even infer Rafa took a 7 month break to hone his game, I was just arguing with Teejay's point about it being annoying or whatever she said that Rafa's game had improved.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6592 on: September 07, 2013, 12:43 AM »

You are assuming he was genuinely injured, you don't know for sure and neither do I.    You "don't see it as cheating".    Is that the same as "he was not cheating" or is there a subtle difference?     

If he wasn't genuinely injured, he wouldn't have taken a break from the game. Simple as. He took a break from the game, so he must have been injured.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6593 on: September 07, 2013, 12:44 AM »

He didn't want to re-aggrevate the knee injury, so he originally dispelled hard courts. But maybe he began practicing on it to see what it was like and he found it OK, so after trying not to take a risk, he decided that he really should.

You really have the inside knowledge on Rafa's sabbatical.    Maybe the Queen's my granny.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6594 on: September 07, 2013, 12:46 AM »

You really have the inside knowledge on Rafa's sabbatical.    Maybe the Queen's my granny.

The knowledge has been around for ages, but its been so clouded by people like you creating conspiracy that its been forgotten about.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6595 on: September 07, 2013, 12:48 AM »

Andy has had such a fantastic 18 months since Lendl came onboard that I think he is doping.

Discuss.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6596 on: September 07, 2013, 12:50 AM »

sigh... sounds like a real run around. in early 2012, after losing the AO, nadal came down very negatively on the ATP and hard courts, saying they ruin careers. then, after losing a 5 set, very close battle at wimbledon, he announces he's seriously injured, disappears for 7 months, releases various statements about coming back, and then when he finally comes back he rules on the very surface he denounced just the year before. i don't know. something doesn't jibe. perhaps he was only slightly injured and needed less time, but took those 7 months to refresh himself mentally and prepare for an assault on hard, or he is some kind of miracle man to come back and win everything he enters practically even though he had a "career threatening injury". i suspect the former, in which case they were disingenuous with tennis fans/pundits.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6597 on: September 07, 2013, 01:01 AM »

The knowledge has been around for ages, but its been so clouded by people like you creating conspiracy that its been forgotten about.

I don't see any conspiracy, far less did I create one.     I see a tennis player who said, or maybe Uncle Toni said, he had a career threatening injury.    Various stories came out over the intervening months which made people suspicious.    What made ME suspicious was the photograph of Rafa celebrating his first or maybe second win after he came back.    No-one who had bad knees could have adopted that pose.   Anyway it is right that you believe what you like Gangsta.    I am old and cynical.     Youngsters tend to be more naive.    I would like you to be a bit clearer on what constitutes a cheat, however.   
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6598 on: September 07, 2013, 01:03 AM »

I don't see any conspiracy, far less did I create one.     I see a tennis player who said, or maybe Uncle Toni said, he had a career threatening injury.    Various stories came out over the intervening months which made people suspicious.    What made ME suspicious was the photograph of Rafa celebrating his first or maybe second win after he came back.    No-one who had bad knees could have adopted that pose.   Anyway it is right that you believe what you like Gangsta.    I am old and cynical.     Youngsters tend to be more naive.    I would like you to be a bit clearer on what constitutes a cheat, however.   

I'm not being naive at all. How would you react if Andy was caught doping and Rafa came out clean?
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6599 on: September 07, 2013, 01:07 AM »

Andy has had such a fantastic 18 months since Lendl came onboard that I think he is doping.

Discuss.

You are trying to cause trouble and I want to get off to bed.    The answer is that Andy doesn't want to win for you or me or Scotland or GB or fame.    He wants to win for himself and he would know within himself that it wasn't Andy who had won and he would not be a happy bunny.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 439 [440] 441 442 443 ... 593 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »