Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 467 468 469 [470] 471 472 473 ... 593 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 311549 times)
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7035 on: November 14, 2013, 02:34 AM »

Elena that's what meant. Now I know exactly what's going on. The common theme to Andy's losses this year apart from Djokovic is they all come from hard hitters who blew him off court.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7036 on: November 14, 2013, 02:57 AM »

Well if that's the case, then hopefully, if his back op has been a success, Andy might become a hard hitter himself next year because he has said that he often couldn't hit the ball as hard as he would have liked due to the problem.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7037 on: November 14, 2013, 07:45 AM »

Well if that's the case, then hopefully, if his back op has been a success, Andy might become a hard hitter himself next year because he has said that he often couldn't hit the ball as hard as he would have liked due to the problem.

If he can hit the ball as hard as Federer did back in 2007 then we are laughing.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7038 on: November 14, 2013, 11:46 AM »

Elena my point about negativity wasn't directed at you and related to the earlier posts I'd picked up on.  Of course there's nothing wrong with discussing ranking on a rankings thread but similarly there's nothing wrong with suggesting some of us might be rather more positive in our interpretation of Andy's ranking given all he has achieved this year.  Can we leave it at that?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7039 on: November 14, 2013, 12:39 PM »

This thing about ranking is getting out of hand. We should all be happy that Andy has done so well this year. It could have been a lot worse lets face it he was having problems with his back which was a definite hinderance to his game. He has had an operation and hopefully it will help him and make him pain free. All we should hope for is that he will have a good year in 2014 and will win more titles
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7040 on: November 14, 2013, 03:37 PM »

God it's so unfair I was looking a Hewitt Wikipedia page at the time he was number one. He had some pretty mediocre results during that period. He bombed out early in a lot of tournaments.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7041 on: November 14, 2013, 04:31 PM »

I do believe that the men's game was not as deep as it is now in Hewitt's time.  For instance, I remember Federer saying that when he started there was very little competition.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7042 on: November 14, 2013, 05:48 PM »

I do believe that the men's game was not as deep as it is now in Hewitt's time.  For instance, I remember Federer saying that when he started there was very little competition.
I agree Tamila.  Fed really did have it quite easy at the start of his career whereas Andy was faced with both him and Nadal, probably two of the greatest players of all time.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7043 on: November 14, 2013, 06:46 PM »

The comms often say this is one of the golden eras of men's tennis. Andy rightly revels in that saying it's made him a better player (though I wouldn't blame him if he sometimes secretly wishes he was playing when the competition was rather less intense!).
I'm not sure about the big hitters point.  I thought Andy had in fact been dealing with them rather better since he developed a stronger more aggressive forehand than in earlier years.  I can recall the disappointment when he was blown off court a number of times by inferior players prior to that.  As against that I agree he has said his back has prevented him hitting the ball as hard as he'd like to.  So let's hope that a stronger back and stronger forehand combined will mean he can show the big hitters the way home  yay
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7044 on: November 14, 2013, 08:22 PM »

Interesting though, always used to beat Delboy but didn't last time. But beat JJ at Wimbledon. Think we can discount loss to Stan, clearly back was bad, as we now know. A bit mixed I'd say.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7045 on: November 14, 2013, 08:39 PM »

Interesting though, always used to beat Delboy but didn't last time. But beat JJ at Wimbledon. Think we can discount loss to Stan, clearly back was bad, as we now know. A bit mixed I'd say.

I don't think the back was why he lost to Stan, although as it was on clay, complications may of been likely. I think he was completely outplayed by him.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7046 on: November 14, 2013, 08:53 PM »

Fed was so lucky he had no real competition for many years, people just folded, so I don't go along with him being the best of anything.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7047 on: November 14, 2013, 08:57 PM »

Fed was so lucky he had no real competition for many years, people just folded, so I don't go along with him being the best of anything.

I actually think Federer's era is overlooked. Federer at his peak is unmatchable, and when he was at his peak you had the likes of Roddick, Ferrero, Gonzalez and Baghdatis going far in Slams. But, he was just so good that everyone fell short of him. Roddick was competition, but he could never find the key to beating peak Federer. Even Rafa, Novak and Andy found it an extreme task to beat him when he was at his best, particularly indoors.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7048 on: November 14, 2013, 11:24 PM »

[[/quote]
I don't think the back was why he lost to Stan, although as it was on clay, complications may of been likely. I think he was completely outplayed by him.

I'm thinking BBH is referring to US open not MonteCarlo. Deffo think back was issue in New York. Comms kept mentioning lack of backand down the line - this was one of the shots he said he couldn't do when his back was really bad.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7049 on: November 15, 2013, 12:00 AM »

[
I'm thinking BBH is referring to US open not MonteCarlo. Deffo think back was issue in New York. Comms kept mentioning lack of backand down the line - this was one of the shots he said he couldn't do when his back was really bad.
I remember that too Westie because that particular shot was one of his favourites which he used to good effect.  I don't doubt either that his back was responsible for some of his poor serving percentages because when it was bad he couldn't push off properly on his left leg. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 469 [470] 471 472 473 ... 593 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »