Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 468 469 470 [471] 472 473 474 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 323749 times)
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7050 on: November 15, 2013, 12:17 AM »

I was talking to Angie yesterday and was talking about how the lack of rotation due to the back prohibited his shots, so when he couldn't produce power, he panicked and went into defense mode. I think in 2014 we will see a much more aggressive Andy, because now he is able to fully swing into his shots and his body will accept it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7051 on: November 15, 2013, 12:24 AM »

I was talking to Angie yesterday and was talking about how the lack of rotation due to the back prohibited his shots, so when he couldn't produce power, he panicked and went into defense mode. I think in 2014 we will see a much more aggressive Andy, because now he is able to fully swing into his shots and his body will accept it.
Thank you for that very encouraging comment and it certainly explains why there were so many complaints on here that Andy wasn't playing aggressively enough.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7052 on: November 15, 2013, 06:18 AM »

[
I'm thinking BBH is referring to US open not MonteCarlo. Deffo think back was issue in New York. Comms kept mentioning lack of backand down the line - this was one of the shots he said he couldn't do when his back was really bad.

Yes, I was.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7053 on: November 15, 2013, 08:04 AM »

Well said Connor. I think we will see 'Aggressive Andy' next year, and then the other players will need to watch out.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7054 on: November 15, 2013, 09:47 AM »

wasn't back also an issue in MC given he had to pull out of clay court season altogether soon after?  Not sure that Stan outplaying Andy and his back being a contributory factor are mutually exclusive?  Is it not possible that Stan outplayed Andy in part at least because of Andy's back?  confused
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7055 on: November 15, 2013, 08:37 PM »

Very possibly
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7056 on: November 15, 2013, 09:31 PM »

Well said Connor. I think we will see 'Aggressive Andy' next year, and then the other players will need to watch out.
Positive comment by Mike Dickson of the DM on 12 Nov -

Andy Murray was arriving in Miami on Monday night to begin his annual off season boot camp aimed at restoring his challenge to the world’s current undisputed top two players.

While Britain’s No1 prepares to start work in America, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal were back in London battling for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals title.

Murray’s aim, following his back operation in September, is to put himself back in a position where he can challenge the pair who have reasserted themselves as the clear No 1 and No 2 in his absence.

cmon yeah
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7057 on: November 15, 2013, 09:49 PM »

wasn't back also an issue in MC given he had to pull out of clay court season altogether soon after?  Not sure that Stan outplaying Andy and his back being a contributory factor are mutually exclusive?  Is it not possible that Stan outplayed Andy in part at least because of Andy's back?  confused

Yes, but I don't think it was the case in that particular match. We can't go blaming the back for every loss. You should know that.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7058 on: November 15, 2013, 09:59 PM »

Yes, but I don't think it was the case in that particular match. We can't go blaming the back for every loss. You should know that.

Why not?
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7059 on: November 15, 2013, 10:03 PM »

Why not?

Well, firstly the back couldn't possibly have been responsible for every loss, its quite impossible. Secondly, its taking a colossal amount of respect and credit away from his opponent and how well they may have played. Thirdly, if we kept blaming the back for every loss that would be as good as us being bitter about the loss or maybe just looking for a good old excuse. Its wrong on so many levels in my opinion.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7060 on: November 15, 2013, 10:11 PM »

I agree up to a point re this match, but Andy's matches against Wawrinka tend to be close at the best of times, and MC was a pretty sound defeat.  It could be argued though that it was only Andy's second match on clay, and his first against Stan since Rome 2008 on that surface.  Also Andy himself said that his back had been OK until he played two consecutive late evening matches in Madrid where the weather was unseasonally cool and damp and that it was that which had really triggered off his back again to the extent that even a few days' rest couldn't alleviate the problem.
[ Last edit by Aileen November 15, 2013, 10:21 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7061 on: November 15, 2013, 10:32 PM »

Well, firstly the back couldn't possibly have been responsible for every loss, its quite impossible. Secondly, its taking a colossal amount of respect and credit away from his opponent and how well they may have played. Thirdly, if we kept blaming the back for every loss that would be as good as us being bitter about the loss or maybe just looking for a good old excuse. Its wrong on so many levels in my opinion.
Andy has never made his back an excuse for losing a match, publicly at least, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we should do the same.  True, only Andy really knows how he feels, but there have been some matches where it's been obvious that his back was hindering him.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7062 on: November 16, 2013, 10:56 AM »

It's a very good point Aileen.  It's considered poor manners to blame injury or "niggles" for a loss, or even under-performing, even though it must be true a lot of the time for a lot of players.  It's only when an injury becomes impossible to hide that it becomes acknowledged.  While I do agree with the view that if you play, you are fit to play, so no moaning about a loss.  Yet, it's irrational to think that players exist in one of two extreme states. 

IMO, Andy wasn't particularly injured for his match against Stan in MC, but it is probable that his back problems did affect his play, at least indirectly.  Then again, I think a lot of people under-estimated how good Stan was at the time, so were looking for excuses where none were needed really.  Stan was playing above his rankings and was much more comfortable on clay, while it was Andy's second match on the surface that season.   In retrospect, with the benefit of seeing the rest of Stan's season, it wasn't as big an upset as it seemed at the time.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7063 on: November 16, 2013, 06:24 PM »

That MC display was really pathetic from Andy. That's why there is no such thing as form with Andy. He can go from playing good to playing crap in 24 hours.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7064 on: November 16, 2013, 07:32 PM »

I'm not trying to take anything away from Stan - I was suggesting it was possible that Stan outplayed Andy but that at same time the back could have contributed to Andy being below par.  It does now seem that the back has been more of a factor during the last two seasons than Andy let on at the time and than some people on MW even now are unwilling to concede (with talk of 'playing crap' etc).   To suggest that is not to make excuses but to try to understand what might have contributed to [and note I always say contributed to not caused]  poor losses.   
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 470 [471] 472 473 474 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »