Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 469 470 471 [472] 473 474 475 ... 586 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 299424 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7065 on: November 16, 2013, 07:36 PM »

I'm not trying to take anything away from Stan - I was suggesting it was possible that Stan outplayed Andy but that at same time the back could have contributed to Andy being below par.  It does now seem that the back has been more of a factor during the last two seasons than Andy let on at the time and than some people on MW even now are unwilling to concede (with talk of 'playing crap' etc).   To suggest that is not to make excuses but to try to understand what might have contributed to [and note I always say contributed to not caused]  poor losses.   

But is it not equally as foolish to say that the back was why he was losing all the time? Surely there will be matches where he does play crap and that is the reason why he loses. As fans I strongly believe that we should give a fair overview of the match whether he wins or losses, not to take credit away from the opponent and not to blame niggling injuries all the time.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7066 on: November 16, 2013, 07:40 PM »

Once again I'm talking about the back as a contributory factor not a sole cause.  And even though Andy talked about a 'niggling injury' for much of the time surely the fact it led to back surgery indicates it was much more serious than that?  Of course, during the same period he won 2 slams and Olympic gold and silver so I do accept that the pain must have fluctuated considerably over that period.  It's probably silly (and I say that to myself as well) to try to work out in retrospect how much it did contribute to poor losses but I just wish some people wouldn't use words like 'pathetic' and 'crap' but show Andy rather more respect given his achievements, and I don't mean you gangsta.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7067 on: November 16, 2013, 07:50 PM »

Once again I'm talking about the back as a contributory factor not a sole cause.  And even though Andy talked about a 'niggling injury' for much of the time surely the fact it led to back surgery indicates it was much more serious than that?  Of course, during the same period he won 2 slams and Olympic gold and silver so I do accept that the pain must have fluctuated considerably over that period.  It's probably silly (and I say that to myself as well) to try to work out in retrospect how much it did contribute to poor losses but I just wish some people wouldn't use words like 'pathetic' and 'crap' but show Andy rather more respect given his achievements, and I don't mean you gangsta.

Don't worry Ruthie, the name is in bright lights in my head as to who you are talking about now, and I agree. This member should stop.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7068 on: November 16, 2013, 08:05 PM »

Anyone calling andy pathetic is gonna get a kick up the arse!!!  ranting
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7069 on: November 16, 2013, 09:14 PM »

Anyone calling andy pathetic is gonna get a kick up the arse!!!  ranting
I called the loss pathetic not Andy. IMO the beatdown was pathetic for someone ranked 2 in the world at the time. I can remember Andy being rightly booed for the woeful performance.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7070 on: November 16, 2013, 09:47 PM »

But is it not equally as foolish to say that the back was why he was losing all the time? Surely there will be matches where he does play crap and that is the reason why he loses. As fans I strongly believe that we should give a fair overview of the match whether he wins or losses, not to take credit away from the opponent and not to blame niggling injuries all the time.
I agree with that, especially the last sentence - and that is why MW's match reporters are expected to be impartial, even although it sometimes appears otherwise (no names mentioned). Unfortunately there are as well MWers who don't like seeing credit being given to Andy's opponent however well or badly he's played, and in that connection I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, his consistency might improve a little now, although I accept that roller-coasters will probably be the norm for the rest of his career, and to be honest I don't think I'd want it any other way because that's just how Andy is and part of what makes him such an exciting player.

I think that, as far as Andy is concerned, what has to be understood is that there's a difference between negative criticism and positive criticism, and that the former should not be readily condoned on this forum.  Freedom of opinion is fine, but when that becomes destructive rather than constructive, then it really serves no useful purpose whatsoever.  Armchair criticism is a wonderful thing, but we, his supporters, are not the ones out there having to play a match before thousands of spectators regardless of how we might be feeling.  A tennis court is a very lonely place to be.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7071 on: November 25, 2013, 10:46 AM »

Is Andy not playing Brisbane ?    y'all    someone has to update me here      ?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7072 on: November 25, 2013, 11:09 AM »

Is Andy not playing Brisbane ?    y'all    someone has to update me here      ?

He's playing Doha instead, which coincides in the same week as Brisbane.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7073 on: November 25, 2013, 11:59 AM »

Apparently Sydney really want him to play there too - doubt he will though, with it being the week before the AO.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7074 on: November 25, 2013, 12:36 PM »

He's playing Doha instead, which coincides in the same week as Brisbane.

Gangsta, I am back off work as my body after trying to cut the painkillers and doing a gentle run is not co-operating. As a result I am checking the tennis news again! 

Is there any more news related to Andy's whole timetable around Christmas for perhaps being at SPOTY doing his family Christmas break in Scotland, and going to Doha as one logical grouping for travelling? He seems to be getting lots more positive publicity these days which would be so good for tennis then if he won SPOTY also. More chance if he were there!

Am I right in thinking that he was then intending doing one of the Australasian tournaments (6-12th January) to prepare for the AO?  The schedules on various sites are not showing any 2014 intentions and some tournament sites are not yet well organised. That maybe because potential entry list still need time to be agreed?

Lots of questions in there but experience tells me that you know the most and what you hear most times is true.

IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7075 on: November 25, 2013, 12:39 PM »

Gangsta, I am back off work as my body after trying to cut the painkillers and doing a gentle run is not co-operating. As a result I am checking the tennis news again! 

Is there any more news related to Andy's whole timetable around Christmas for perhaps being at SPOTY doing his family Christmas break in Scotland, and going to Doha as one logical grouping for travelling? He seems to be getting lots more positive publicity these days which would be so good for tennis then if he won SPOTY also. More chance if he were there!

Am I right in thinking that he was then intending doing one of the Australasian tournaments (6-12th January) to prepare for the AO?  The schedules on various sites are not showing any 2014 intentions and some tournament sites are not yet well organised. That maybe because potential entry list still need time to be agreed?

Lots of questions in there but experience tells me that you know the most and what you hear most times is true.

His next few tournaments are:

Abu Dhabi
Doha (part of the pre Australian Open warm up tournaments)
Australian Open
Acapulco
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7076 on: November 25, 2013, 01:09 PM »

Thank you.

Do you think he will go to SPOTY? Will that disrupt his preparations too much? As I said it would be good for tennis if he were there as then he would probably win?

Abu Dhabi looks good! A match versus Tsonga is quite exciting as a first play since his operation. To play Djoke next day not something I would be keen on after such a long time away!  And then if he did win through anticipate Nadal the day after.  SCARY three days but he will enjoy the task even if not successful. It get him straight back in with the top players.  He will just have to hope that the others had too much Christmas food and drinks?

No information yet on who will be in Doha?

I am focussing on Acapulco as his first chance for progress to a semi, a final and even a win. AO would be a bonus if he did well.

IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7077 on: November 25, 2013, 01:18 PM »

Thank you.

Do you think he will go to SPOTY? Will that disrupt his preparations too much? As I said it would be good for tennis if he were there as then he would probably win?

Abu Dhabi looks good! A match versus Tsonga is quite exciting as a first play since his operation. To play Djoke next day not something I would be keen on after such a long time away!  And then if he did win through anticipate Nadal the day after.  SCARY three days but he will enjoy the task even if not successful. It get him straight back in with the top players.  He will just have to hope that the others had too much Christmas food and drinks?

No information yet on who will be in Doha?

I am focussing on Acapulco as his first chance for progress to a semi, a final and even a win. AO would be a bonus if he did well.

Nadal, Ferrer, Berdych and Gasquet will be in Doha, Monfils too.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7078 on: November 26, 2013, 01:36 AM »

Also no word so far as to Andy's timetable re SPOTY and Christmas, but I expect that, as usual, no announcement will be made until the last minute, if at all!

Sorry to hear you've had a setback in your recovery though.  Hope you feel better soon. Smile
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7079 on: January 01, 2014, 06:58 PM »

RT @Yolitatennis: RKGS UPDATE
If #Murray doesn't make the AO finals, #Delpo will pass him,whatever his result. OTHif Delpo makes the AO F,he'll def pass Andy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 471 [472] 473 474 475 ... 586 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »