Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 477 478 479 [480] 481 482 483 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 324981 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7185 on: January 12, 2014, 01:33 PM »

And you can't always blame the parents either.   If the family is living in poverty/overcrowded housing it can be really difficult for children to do homework at home.  
And it's all very well talking about taking responsibility for your own life but if all the odds are stacked against you, then thriving can be extremely difficult.
But not sure what all this has to do with Andy's ranking?  confused   Perhaps having lit the blue touch paper 5rings, this discussion should be moved to another thread  so as to get backtotopic
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7186 on: January 12, 2014, 02:04 PM »

And you can't always blame the parents either.   If the family is living in poverty/overcrowded housing it can be really difficult for children to do homework at home. 
And it's all very well talking about taking responsibility for your own life but if all the odds are stacked against you, then thriving can be extremely difficult.
But not sure what all this has to do with Andy's ranking?  confused   Perhaps having lit the blue touch paper 5rings, this discussion should be moved to another thread  so as to get backtotopic 
   OK by me - I was only commenting in passing!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7187 on: January 12, 2014, 02:37 PM »

I would just like to say that while we set homework ( to suit wishes of majority of parents), it's not compulsory, no child is made to feel different or gets in trouble cos they don't do it, the tasks we give back up class learning - but no child would fall behind as a result of not doing homework. And we are well aware of the needs of all children and their home set ups - and they are catered for and supported in school accordingly.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7188 on: January 12, 2014, 04:32 PM »

Perhaps we are all impatient for Tennis to start tonight or tomorrow depending where
you live and are just rabbitting on

Pleased to see Jamie being seeded in the doubles
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7189 on: January 12, 2014, 09:11 PM »

I would just like to say that while we set homework ( to suit wishes of majority of parents), it's not compulsory, no child is made to feel different or gets in trouble cos they don't do it, the tasks we give back up class learning - but no child would fall behind as a result of not doing homework. And we are well aware of the needs of all children and their home set ups - and they are catered for and supported in school accordingly.
Just adding a quickie here.  That's a whole lot different from when I was at school in the 1950s when homework was compulsory and pupils did get into trouble if it wasn't done.  At the second, and private, school I went to when I was 9 'punishment' was usually a good dressing down in front of the class, which was bad enough, but when I was at the local state junior school in an area where a fair number of pupils lived in deprived situations, miscreants got a dose of the belt with no attention being paid to their social background or learning abilities, and the words 'learning difficulties' just didn't exist.  I hate to think how many of these kids left school as soon as they could, probably barely able to read, write, or do simple arithmetic. 
[ Last edit by Aileen January 12, 2014, 09:21 PM ] IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7190 on: January 13, 2014, 06:02 AM »

As a retired teacher I had a lot of reservations about homework. For kids who were struggling most of the time, I always used to think it was unreasonable to then expect them to do another couple of hours at night.

Equally some of the more able children used to get overloaded sometimes. I can remember being about to set homework and looking at the exhausted 11 year old kids in front of me, and thinking I can't do this to them. The look of relief on their faces when the homework I actually set was to go to bed 1/2 earlier that night has stayed with me.

There is a time and a place for it, but I don't think some teachers really understand just how difficult the lives of some children is.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7191 on: January 13, 2014, 11:02 AM »

I did compulsory homework in our kitchen with my two sisters doing theirs and my mum cooking a meal.    We lived in a big old flat but the only warm room was the kitchen and the whole family congregated there.    Our trump card was my mum who helped us while she cooked.
IP Logged
Eddster
Satellite Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7192 on: January 17, 2014, 12:01 AM »

So with Del Potro losing what does that mean to Andy as in staying number 4?
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7193 on: January 17, 2014, 04:18 AM »

At the moment Andy is about 4.5k points in live rankings. When was the last time Andy was below 5K?
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7194 on: January 17, 2014, 11:48 AM »

It will depend on how Andy does in the tournament  He  has a lot of points to cover but Potro losing so early will help tremendously
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7195 on: January 17, 2014, 12:17 PM »

At the moment Andy is about 4.5k points in live rankings. When was the last time Andy was below 5K?
2008 I reckon although he came close in Autumn 2010.  He'll recover upwards soon
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7196 on: January 17, 2014, 12:20 PM »

Given how little he actually played last year, virtually non of the clay court season, and nothing after the US Open. Not too mention performing quite poorly on any surface other than grass. Miami excluded he has loads of opportunities to gain points.

Hopefully he will get back to 4 ASAP, and 3 soon after.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7197 on: January 17, 2014, 02:06 PM »

If my calculations are correct, Andy has to reach the final to stay in the top 4. That will keep him ahead of Delpo. He has to reach the final and go 2 rounds further than Ferrer to get ahead of him.

I think there are others who could overtake Andy if they do well and he goes out early - but calculations get quite complicated and I'm just going to wait and see! As others have said, having missed several tournaments last year, I don't think there's any need to worry too much about a dip in rankings if it happens.

Neil Harman tweeted the other day that Andy is not currently scheduled to play Monte Carlo this year, (it's not compulsory) - but there's plenty of time for that to change - I presume.
[ Last edit by Elena January 17, 2014, 06:04 PM ] IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7198 on: January 17, 2014, 02:28 PM »

Murray is currently no 5 in the live rankings. I am not too worried providing he stays in the top 10. I don't see Ferrer as a threat anymore. He really hasn't played that well this year so far.

Del Pot going out has been great. I am sure that normal service is in the process of being resumed. I would like him to beat Lopez, cause he would get a qualifier after that. If Federer was then on the table, sheer cussedness would make Murray want to beat him. After that fine. I would be happy with that. Even if he loses against Lopez the signs are good. I intend to chill about it all.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7199 on: January 17, 2014, 02:30 PM »

If my calculations are correct, Andy has to reach the final to stay in the top 4. That will keep him ahead of Delpo. He has to reach the final and go 2 rounds further than Ferrer to get ahead of him.

I think there are others who could overtake Andy if they do well and he goes out early - but calculations get quite complicated and I'm just going to wait and see! As others have said, having missed several tournaments last year, I don't think there's any need to worry too much about a dip in rankings if it happens.

Neil Harman tweeted the other day that Andy is not currently scheduled to play Monte Carlo this year, (it's not compulsory) - but there's plenty of time for that to change - I presume.
When he has Nadal and Djokovic in every QF I am sure you will be happy then.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 479 [480] 481 482 483 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »