Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 479 480 481 [482] 483 484 485 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 329314 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7215 on: January 19, 2014, 07:44 AM »

if he's in Scotland for opening of the hotel in the first week of April, there would still be time to play at MC after that, should he decide to do so.   But I'm sure he's waiting to assess how his back is doing before deciding.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7216 on: January 19, 2014, 09:41 AM »

Yes, not being down to play MC doesn't mean he's decided not to play.   It could simply mean he's keeping his options open.  He's got loads of time to decide if he wants to enter.  I'm not sure what the closing date is, but it's a long way off, and there's no risk of him not making the cut.

Far better to enter those tournaments late than to enter early, then withdraw.

I do wonder if Andy might take a different approach to the clay season.  Perhaps he will skip MC, and enter a smaller clay tournament instead to ease him in.

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7217 on: January 19, 2014, 02:21 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Andy limits his clay tennis this year - it does seem to make his back condition flare up. Just playing Rome and Madrid would probably be enough preparation for RG.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7218 on: January 19, 2014, 02:52 PM »

Now that Andy had that problematic bone shaved off. Maybe now he can actually perform on a clay court. 
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7219 on: January 19, 2014, 03:04 PM »

Now that Andy had that problematic bone shaved off. Maybe now he can actually perform on a clay court. 

It'll be interesting to see if it does make a difference. I think he'll probably always struggle against the best players, just because he doesn't share their experience of growing up playing clay tennis. He doesn't tend to slide much which is a problem on clay. But consistent QF results in the clay masters and RG would be good.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7220 on: January 19, 2014, 03:15 PM »

If he can match his 2011 clay season i think he'd be more than happy, it would be a real plus if he could get his hands on a clay title before he retires.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7221 on: January 19, 2014, 03:16 PM »

@katie
Read a crit of Andy on clay and apparently he doesn't time his movement to the ball quite right, is slow coming onto it. Of course unconsciously he might've been protecting his back. So I won't completely right him off, but while Rafa is still playing on clay, it's difficult to see Andy winning RG.
Would rather he saves himself and keeps on winning Wimbles!
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7222 on: January 19, 2014, 03:18 PM »

Before his back problems he took 2011 Djokovic to brink of defeat in Rome before choking. He has taken Nadal to three sets on the surface. Just as he was finding his feet on the surface his back problems start.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7223 on: January 19, 2014, 04:33 PM »

@katie
Read a crit of Andy on clay and apparently he doesn't time his movement to the ball quite right, is slow coming onto it. Of course unconsciously he might've been protecting his back. So I won't completely right him off, but while Rafa is still playing on clay, it's difficult to see Andy winning RG.

That's interesting bbh - perhaps he's slow moving to balls because he's not confident sliding into shots? But that could be due to his back like you say. His knee too gives him trouble when changing surfaces.

Agree about Wimby - would much prefer him not grind himself down too much on the clay so that he's fresh for the grass season. Worked great last time. Smile
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7224 on: January 19, 2014, 05:03 PM »

I think he might take things easy for this clay court season, then depending on how he feels, and what shots are working for him, then use that to develop a strategy and tactics for the 2015 clay season. 

In today's Times, they quote Andy as saying he's not been taking any painkillers during his training in Miami, nor in Doha.   It was ambiguous whether or not he'd taken any in Melbourne, but it was all sounding like great progress from how things were before.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7225 on: January 19, 2014, 06:21 PM »

@Sparkle
Since he was taking masses b4 op., just to get himself onto court, that's so good to hear  yay yay yay
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7226 on: January 19, 2014, 10:03 PM »

@katie
Read a crit of Andy on clay and apparently he doesn't time his movement to the ball quite right, is slow coming onto it. Of course unconsciously he might've been protecting his back. So I wUnfortunateon't completely right him off, but while Rafa is still playing on clay, it's difficult to see Andy winning RG.
Unfortunately clay can also make his bipartite patella flare up because of certain movements on that surface, and one of them is suddenly stopping at the end of a slide.

In today's Times, they quote Andy as saying he's not been taking any painkillers during his training in Miami, nor in Doha.   It was ambiguous whether or not he'd taken any in Melbourne, but it was all sounding like great progress from how things were before.
That's very encouraging to know.  He may be taking some here until his back and his body get used to playing competitively again, but I suspect the dosage will be kept to a minimum.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7227 on: January 19, 2014, 10:23 PM »

It is, isn't it?

As well as simply masking the problem, sustained use of painkillers can bring its own problems.   If he can get away with occasional use, for specific issues, or just for the match after a particularly tough one - that's great progress.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7228 on: January 20, 2014, 10:30 AM »

Andy really can't afford to mug out of Indian Wells and Miami.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7229 on: January 20, 2014, 11:32 AM »

Andy really can't afford to mug out of Indian Wells and Miami.

Sorry, but can you stop using phrases like that. Andy is just coming back from four months out. The priority has to be getting back to full match fitness right now, and that isn't that far away. When he is fully match fit his ranking will look after itself. Andy doesn't 'mug out' of anything deliberately.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 481 [482] 483 484 485 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »