Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 490 491 492 [493] 494 495 496 ... 593 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 311713 times)
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7380 on: January 23, 2014, 10:58 PM »

Not you as well! lol

Can't see why you'd find that surprising.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7381 on: January 23, 2014, 11:00 PM »

Can't see why you'd find that surprising.

I just did. Shrug
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7382 on: January 23, 2014, 11:06 PM »

Ach well, tomorrow is another day
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7383 on: January 23, 2014, 11:08 PM »

Ach well, tomorrow is another day

Indeed.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7384 on: January 24, 2014, 05:47 AM »

Ok. Let's make it simple for the hard of thinking.

In 2012 and 2013 Andy Murray managed to break his Grand Slam duck, plus snaffle Federer's coveted Olympic Gold Medal from under the Swiss Maestro's arrogant little nose. He did all of this whilst suffering from a back problems that was having an increasing impact on his game. He also reached number 2 in the World.

Now for a little while he is dropping down the rankings, whilst he recovers from an operation on his back. 3/5 months ago.

When his back is better and he is match fit again he will climb back up the rankings.

There is nothing any of us here, or he himself can do about it. Recovering from surgery and regaining fitness takes time.

He is not dropping down the rankings to piss people off, or give himself a hard time. It is a consequence of the surgery he has had and the necessary recovery time.

From a purely personal view point, I don't give a toss about the rankings. What I care about is the fact that last year I found it painful to watch him. He was obviously struggling, and in pain most of the time - (trust me as one who knows that is no fun at all),  and by all accounts eating painkillers like smarties.

I do not doubt that he will be back, and I am really looking forward to seeing what he can do when he is pain free.

If however he can't regain his previous form, well he has lost the titles of "the best player never to win a slam", or "one slam wonder", pinched Fed's Gold Medal from under his nose, and it will have been a privilege and pleasure to watch him fulfil his dreams. Well worth all the sleepless nights and stress.

He doesn't need to "buckle down", he needs to follow the advice of his medics, coach and physics, and recover at the pace that is right for the operation and injury he has suffered from.

Finally after Wimbledon last year and the events of the previous year I think he was at burn out. Carrying the hopes of a nation is one would suspect a heavy and draining burden. The enforced break might well keep him in the game for longer.

Some people on here need to get real...!!!

Absolutely, Masaka.  My feelings exactly.  The rankings have always seemed odd to me.  I cannot see how someone who has only won one masters and some 500's and 250's can be No 3 above someone with 9 Masters, 2 slams, gold medal and 28 titles in all.  It just seems strange.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7385 on: January 24, 2014, 08:10 AM »

It's a pity his game/style of play doesn't lend itself well to the red stuff.  It's not something I understand.  Can anyone tell me why it is?
Elly my understanding is that his patella problem means he finds it difficult to slide as one has to do on clay as it can aggravate it.  And then once he also had a back problem he had even more difficulties because playing on clay aggravated that.  Different players seem to have different problems with their bodies on different surfaces eg Rafa's knees seem to like the clay but not the hard stuff.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7386 on: January 24, 2014, 11:34 AM »

Why are a few on MW so preoccupied about Andy's ranking it is not the be all and end all. He is not even fully fit I think we should be happy the he reached the quarter final. Some people on here need to get real instead of getting all heated up about his ranking.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7387 on: January 24, 2014, 11:38 AM »

Andy's injury time out has been book ended by 2 slam 1/4 finals, it's onwards and upwards from now on
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7388 on: January 24, 2014, 11:47 AM »

So where we are at now:-

1) Nadal - 14330. If he wins the final 15130
2) Djokovic - 10440
3) Del Potro - 5370
4) Ferrer - 5100
5) Warwrinka - 4910. If he wins the final 5710 ( he jumps to no 3)
6) Murray - 4720
7) Federer - 4355
8) Berdych - 4180
9) Gasguet - 3005
10) Tsonga - 2855

I personally can't see Warwrinka troubling him. So I think that's where we are going to be at at the end of the AO.

Could be a whole lot worse.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7389 on: January 24, 2014, 11:48 AM »

Of course, but when an argument arises, you always want to be the victor Very Happy Well I do anyway. Hence why I don't stop till my point is well and truly put across. That can be good and it can be terrible.
Are you like this at home?  In my house you'd be spending much time on the naughty step.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7390 on: January 24, 2014, 11:51 AM »

Livescores has got very confused - has put Stan back in 6th place with a SF still to play!

Meant liverankings!
[ Last edit by Elena January 24, 2014, 11:56 AM ] IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7391 on: January 24, 2014, 11:54 AM »

Livescores has got very confused - has put Stan back in 6th place with a SF still to play!

Yes. I allowed for that. It's a strange day when my numbers are marginally better than a computers..!!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7392 on: January 24, 2014, 11:56 AM »

Andy's injury time out has been book ended by 2 slam 1/4 finals, it's onwards and upwards from now on

That's spot on. In the USO Andy was clearly hampered by his back. At the AO he gave it everything but was not quite where he would have wanted to be, but he still played some gorgeous tennis at times. Against Lopez I thought he was superb. I still think that match could have been tricky, given the USO match in 2012 and Andy just back from surgery, but Andy was having none of it.

Look at what Andy has achieved even with the injury. Two slams and Olympic gold and silver, plus the number of major finals he made in 2012/2013. I think people forget that.

Once Andy is physically right and match sharp again he will be fine, then the ranking will look after itself. From then on the only way will be up.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7393 on: January 24, 2014, 01:41 PM »

I agree Teejay once Andy gets back to full fitness the rankings wil look after themselves.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7394 on: January 24, 2014, 04:17 PM »

When Rafa wins AO, he will be the holder of 3 Slams. The other one (The Biggest!) is held by Andy...........it does not matter that he is Number 6 temporarily. He is the only other slam champion.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 492 [493] 494 495 496 ... 593 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »