Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 495 496 497 [498] 499 500 501 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 325613 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7455 on: January 31, 2014, 03:45 PM »

I would agree with that TJ - it's just a pity that there aren't more grass court tournaments.  Oh for the days when 3 out of 4 of the Majors were on grass|

Indeed. I'd love more grass tournaments. I'd love to see a grass Masters too.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7456 on: January 31, 2014, 03:49 PM »

Indeed. I'd love more grass tournaments. I'd love to see a grass Masters too.

Strange that it is still the Lawn Tennis Association with so few grass venues?
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7457 on: January 31, 2014, 03:55 PM »

I think a lot of people and some players would like to see a grass masters in the schedule but its our totally foul weather that's the problem England cannot guarantee decent weather in the Summer I remember a Wimbledon when the first three days were wiped out by constant rain and Cliff entertained the centre court crowd with songs and he was there just to see the tennis
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7458 on: January 31, 2014, 03:55 PM »

Strange that it is still the Lawn Tennis Association with so few grass venues?

Tradition I suppose, but I take the point. Doesn't the wording on the US Open trophy also refer to Lawn Tennis? That rings a bell somehow.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7459 on: January 31, 2014, 03:59 PM »

I think a lot of people and some players would like to see a grass masters in the schedule but its our totally foul weather that's the problem England cannot guarantee decent weather in the Summer I remember a Wimbledon when the first three days were wiped out by constant rain and Cliff entertained the centre court crowd with songs and he was there just to see the tennis

1996, I remember it well Smile. Mind you, it was a bonkers tournament that year. All the seeds on the men's went out! The final was about as exciting as watching paint dry.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7460 on: January 31, 2014, 04:02 PM »

Just a thought, and naturally I'm thinking of after Federer retires, but I wonder if an indoor grass tournament might be logistically possible? I know grass needs looking after, so I'm sure it would be difficult, but if you ask me grass needs to come back and that might be one way to do it.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7461 on: January 31, 2014, 04:22 PM »

After all they play football on artificial grass nowadays why not tennis?  Of course the Wimbledon purists would fade away with shock
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7462 on: January 31, 2014, 04:25 PM »

I think it's a great idea.  Maybe, once they have a roof on Number 1 court at Wimbledon they could have a Masters there with the roofs closed.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7463 on: January 31, 2014, 05:06 PM »

Am I right in thinking that there are 3 weeks in between the French Open and Wimbledon this year instead of only a fortnight?
No, that starts next year.

Tradition I suppose, but I take the point. Doesn't the wording on the US Open trophy also refer to Lawn Tennis? That rings a bell somehow.
Perhaps because the USO was played on grass until 1978?
[ Last edit by Aileen January 31, 2014, 05:10 PM ] IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7464 on: January 31, 2014, 06:29 PM »

Nadal was out longer and was able to include more of his points. Andy dropped out of several events after entering so his rise will be slower.  I will be patient and hope the media are too.

Very true.  While Nadal was out for longer in one go than Andy, Andy's lighter schedule, then withdrawing from Rome and RG prior to Wimbledon, means that Andy was dropping points compared with his potential, long before he announced his surgery.   He has the opportunity to gain them this year if he feels he's sufficiently recovered.  There's a fair chance that Andy might stick to a lighter schedule until he's certain he's fully recovered, and got full strength back.

I'd also argue that once Andy is fully recovered, he'll be able to invest time and effort in working on his shots and general tactics that may have been put on the back burner while he was struggling physically.  People have often wondered why he didn't work more on his 2nd serve, but I wonder if that kind of extra practice wasn't worth it when he was managing the pain.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7465 on: January 31, 2014, 06:32 PM »

Sparkle: interesting speculation about the 2nd serve.  Hadn't occurred to me I must admit.  I do agree that, provided that the back is really ok once he's back to full fitness, we could see a new, exciting phase in Andy's tennis.   yay
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7466 on: January 31, 2014, 06:35 PM »

It is pure speculation, but if Andy was avoiding too many tournaments, and a lot of his traditional extra curricular activities, it wouldn't surprise me if he felt restricted in the kind of training he was doing.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7467 on: January 31, 2014, 10:00 PM »

Back at the rankings I did some calculations. If you strip out existing points up to end of Acapulco then the totals are Delpo 4690, Ferrar 4730 and Murray 4755 possibly 4795 after this Davis Cup tie. With Andy only playing one rather than 2 tournaments he needs a good Acapulco and that is why the DC points are important. Between 4 and 7 it will be tight at the end of May so Andy is in a good position still running up to Roland Gaross.

Do not forget Berdych either at 4130 or 4170 points with three tournamants to play!  However you can forget Federer at 4175 with only Dubai to play as he will stay down at 8.

I hope that my maths are correct.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7468 on: January 31, 2014, 10:04 PM »

Sorry "end of May" should be "after Acapulco"!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7469 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16 PM »

I don't think Andy will be able to count Davis Cup and Acapulco because of the 0 penalties.

Just working out how he's got to 4755 - he's gained 40 points this evening, which are added to the 15 from the WG play-off, and that's replaced the 20 from Doha, so he's up 35 points. Simple!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 497 [498] 499 500 501 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »