Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 582 583 584 [585] 586 587 588 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 325196 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8760 on: August 09, 2014, 11:37 PM »

Re the lower events, it was noticable when Nadal came back onto the tour he played quite a few of these to gain confidence and match practise and it obviously helped him a great deal.

If Andy were to lose early in Cinci, i wish he could be encouraged to take a WC to Winston Salem, but i won't hold my breath for that to happen. Let's hope he can have a decent run in Cinci then.
Andy never plays a tournie the week before a Slam, so unless he changes his mind, or Amelie persuades him, then I can't realistically see it happening.

Also Nadal waited until he was fully fit before he returned to competition, Andy didn't, but as that was his choice, so be it.  Anyway I think he'd have gone stir crazy if he hadn't got back to playing as soon as he could, and there could well have been other reasons as well, such as wanting to test his back out.  I still think that Lendl's departure really threw him though, probably a lot more than any of us realise, and I can certainly see how it could affect him psychologically.
[ Last edit by Aileen August 09, 2014, 11:43 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8761 on: August 10, 2014, 01:16 AM »

If Nishikori gets himself fit, there's a really excellent chance of Murray finishing outside of the top 10 this year.

How about changing that adjective to something more antonymic, like: unfortunate?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8762 on: August 10, 2014, 02:13 AM »

How about changing that adjective to something more antonymic, like: unfortunate?

Boogers doesn't understand positivity.  I got the impression from that post that he was actually relishing this scenario.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8763 on: August 10, 2014, 04:03 AM »

Doubt he'll make the World Tour Finals sadly. Gutted, twice in a row now.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8764 on: August 10, 2014, 06:41 AM »

@Aileen.

Exactly.  I have been saying all year he came back too soon and that maybe why he is not playing too many tournies.  He maybe just doing enough to keep himself up the rankings.

We do not know the ins and outs of his strategy and I am sure he knows what he is doing.  There is no lack of advisers around him.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8765 on: August 10, 2014, 08:30 AM »

So Andy was beaten by Tsonga  Other players like Djokovic did worse  Tomorrow Cincinattti starts and Andy tends to do better there than in
  Back surgery is not like having a tooth extracted  it takes time to complete the rehabilitation.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8766 on: August 10, 2014, 08:35 AM »

Tsonga is playing lights out tennis and Grigor lost in straight sets, so Andy played very well until he played a poor service game.
Doubt he'll make the World Tour Finals sadly. Gutted, twice in a row now.
Of course he can make WTF, he has plenty of chances to make the points from now on, especially during the Asian swing when he has no points to defend.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8767 on: August 10, 2014, 08:58 AM »

Of course he can make WTF, he has plenty of chances to make the points from now on, especially during the Asian swing when he has no points to defend.

The players he's scrapping with for the last few places don't have many points to defend either.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8768 on: August 10, 2014, 09:23 AM »

Tsonga is playing lights out tennis and Grigor lost in straight sets, so Andy played very well until he played a poor service game. Of course he can make WTF, he has plenty of chances to make the points from now on, especially during the Asian swing when he has no points to defend.

His closest rivals in the race have all won titles this year and keep making the deep end of events. The only realistic chance Andy has of making year ends if he makes the Final of USO or wins it, wins Tokyo, makes final/wins Shanghai, wins Basel or Valencia and makes final of Paris. I only see him doing well at maybe two of those events.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8769 on: August 10, 2014, 09:36 AM »

Obviously, it's very frustrating because Andy had a great opportunity to make progress with his ranking points, and those just above him struggled with their matches, yet managed to win.

With Kei's shaky fitness, there's not much point in worrying about him.   If we are going to worry that Tsonga's sudden up-turn in form this week puts Andy at risk, then we can at least hope Andy might have a good run next week too.

In terms of the race, I think Ferrer is most vulnerable.  He's not been playing great lately, and was lucky to get as far as he did in Toronto.  There were whispers about him having an elbow injury, but I'm not sure how valid it was.

Andy, like everyone around him, will be hoping to avoid an unfortunate early exit, while keeping their fingers crossed for a deep run somewhere.

I think this week has been a good reminder that seedings aren't everything.   They are important, but I reckon Andy would have had an easy win over the Djokovic Tsonga faced. 
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8770 on: August 10, 2014, 12:17 PM »

Usually I'm fairly sanguine about Cincinatti. Not too bothered how Andy plays as long as he gets nicely tuned up for the USO. However it feels different this year. Andy badly needs a good tournament here (semis at least) and he needs to beat a top ten players along the way to get his confidence up.

No danger of him tiring himself out either. He's only played 7 matches in total at Queens, Wimbledon and Toronto.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8771 on: August 10, 2014, 01:40 PM »

I actually feel for Murray after Toronto. I think he was quite confident of a deep run and was quite pragmatic about having to play in round 1, something i doubt someone like Federer would have felt comfortable with.

He was looking for matches, and having Gasquet withdraw was frustrating rather than helpful.

I'm also going to point the finger at Djokovic. As much as i believe that he was probably under par, i also think he decided after the 1st set against Tsonga that he wasn't feeling it and decided to tank the match. He was aware that Andy was a possible opponent and probably wsn't keen on getting beaten by him and having one of his fiercest rivals gain some confidence over the win, something that has now benefited Tsonga.

We all know Djoker wants Cinci to complete his masters set, so it was obvious to me he wasn't too perturbed about going out early, and better to go out against someone like Tsonga than someone who could beat him fair and square at the USO.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8772 on: August 10, 2014, 03:10 PM »

The players he's scrapping with for the last few places don't have many points to defend either.
So what!!!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8773 on: August 10, 2014, 03:33 PM »

Tsonga is playing lights out tennis and Grigor lost in straight sets, so Andy played very well until he played a poor service game. Of course he can make WTF, he has plenty of chances to make the points from now on, especially during the Asian swing when he has no points to defend.

The race ranking points are different to standard ranking. He isnt defending points. Ive started a seperate thread for race rankings
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #8774 on: August 10, 2014, 05:41 PM »

http://
The race ranking points are different to standard ranking. He isnt defending points. Ive started a seperate thread for race rankings
Exactly. A point I have been trying to make is that Andy is ninth in the race despite the fact that during the first seven months he was recovering from surgery. He did not beat Tsonga, who is on a role, but did better than others higher ranked than Andy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 584 [585] 586 587 588 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »